Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

I have a Hopper 3. I noticed within the last few weeks when I am connected to the Hopper via Dish Anywhere on my PC and I try to watch something on the major networks it displays a test screen and not the actual program. It did this to me yesterday so I selected the program that I was trying to watch in the guide and recorded it. After I got home the show had recorded fine and I was able to watch it.

I would like to watch things live on these stations when I am away from home, instead of having to record them and watch later. I used to be able to do this. I have made no hardware changes. I found the problem happens with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX. There might be more but those are the ones I've encountered. A pic of what it shows on my PC via Dish Anywhere is shown below.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UqtlAHCuw1onx9liEza-BlcJfZzrccYfdafcsR-7ptJSalgYpXWC_Sdf7kB0d0ygBh...

8 Replies

Re: Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

DISH Employee
Roadijeff wrote:
I have a Hopper 3. I noticed within the last few weeks when I am connected to the Hopper via Dish Anywhere on my PC and I try to watch something on the major networks it displays a test screen and not the actual program. It did this to me yesterday so I selected the program that I was trying to watch in the guide and recorded it. After I got home the show had recorded fine and I was able to watch it.

I would like to watch things live on these stations when I am away from home, instead of having to record them and watch later. I used to be able to do this. I have made no hardware changes. I found the problem happens with ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX. There might be more but those are the ones I've encountered. A pic of what it shows on my PC via Dish Anywhere is shown below.



What happens when you try to change the channel?

Re: Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

Hi. Thank you for your help with this. Shown below is what happens when I change the channel. I originally selected Ch 4 (CBS) in the Dish Guide, which gives me the test screen that you saw in my first message. When I change the channel via the CH up/dn arrows in the Dish Anywhere Player I get the screens shown below. As you can see in the top left corner of the screens the Dish Anywhere guide did not even take me to the Ch 4 to start off. Going 4-5 channels up or down did not help.

 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/KtYzSplw_ZDFOpBSBQnSRIsrBvi5LGhx5tCS0XVLTQ6PvrDmzGfmFmPsFtF2Kf96vt...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4WRMposgOxM4uF8ilRiaHLZ4e1jlAX4SuYN1lbvRIZLIPI-3_3ejjMIB_7bCphGc1k...

I included the pic below to show that the problem does not exist on channels other than the major network stations. I chose Ch 140 (ESPN) from the Guide and it went right to the correct station. See the upper left corner.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2mibUH8ymKoo9eTVjZsJviRodtrrUW0GcnpgFX3wyzc6oQlI5ir7T7PvEpxF_HagGd...

Would the problem have anything to do with the fact that this seems to happen with any channels that I can also receive locally via my OTA antenna? I did not select the antenna listing in the guide when using Dish Anywhere. Also, I have had the OTA antenna installed for several months and everything has worked fine until a few weeks ago. It just does this when trying to watch a major network station when using Dish Anywhere, not when I am actually in front of the TV and using the Hopper 3 guide.

Re: Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

DISH Employee
What Internet Browser do you use?
If you try a different browser do you still have the same issue?

Re: Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer
PamelaM wrote:
What Internet Browser do you use?
If you try a different browser do you still have the same issue?


When I am at work I use Microsoft Edge on one PC running Windows 10. That was the screenshot I posted in my first message. When I tried it at home today I was using Firefox on a totally different PC running Windows 7. Those are the screenshots I posted earlier today.

Re: Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

DISH Employee
Can I have you send me a Private Message with the phone number on your account and the 4 digit PIN so I can verify some information on the account?

Re: Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer
Check your PM box and thanks. :)

Re: Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
Try manually entering the local channel number in the box to the right of "Last" and hitting "Enter". That works here...

Re: Screen Shows Test Channel on Network Stations

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer
NYDutch wrote:
Try manually entering the local channel number in the box to the right of "Last" and hitting "Enter". That works here...


That's what I ended up doing and it does take me to the actual network channel that I want to watch. When I was using the up/dn arrows to change the channel it was so far off from where it started that it never went to the one I wanted.

It used to go to the right channel the first time when I would select it in the Dish Anywhere guide. I don't know what caused it to change recently but I can live with manually putting in the channel, if that's what it takes. Thank you and the others in this thread for your help.