Screen Saver stupidity

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Saver stupidity

pmconsulting
Character Actor

Every time I want to watch TV, I press the ON button on my DISH remote.  My TV, Receiver & audio system all jump to life but the DISH system starts out by showing me the screen saver.  If I want to watch TV, that's another keypress.

Might not seem like a big deal, but why not fix it?  Turning on the system should be the first hint that the screen doesn't yet need saving so let's just go ahead and be a TV without having to press any more buttons.  The screen saver function should just measure how long the same image has been on the screen and start up appropriately.

Hilariously, if I pause any DVR recording, that screen will remain frozen and no screen saving will EVER comence.  The only time I might have actually needed a screen saver and what do you know - it's not working.

2 Replies

Re: Screen Saver stupidity

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Press the SAT button instead of the on button. If HDMI CEC is turned on, everything will come on with a single press.
Highlighted

Re: Screen Saver stupidity

pmconsulting
Character Actor

There's always a work-around just like there are always excuses.

Screen savers should track how long a frozen image has been on the screen - such as when content is paused.  Any movement of the content should reset the timer for the screen saver.  On startup the screen saver timer should be reset to 0. The screen saver timer should only ever start counting when and if the content on the screen stops changing. Having the screen saver already running when the TV is first turned on means that the DISH screen saver is BROKEN.

If I pause DVR content, the screen saver NEVER fires up.  Why not at least add a setting so I can disable the dumb thing as nearly every modern TV already has screen savers that actually work.  Then we users can turn that non-functioning thing off rather than be subjected to condescending suggestions like pushing the SAT button rather than the ON button.