Rewind Live TV after watching a recorded show

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewind Live TV after watching a recorded show

bwbmom
Camera Crew

When I had Directv I could have a channel playing in the background while I watched a DVR/Recorded show and after I stopped the recording I could go and rewind live tv for as long as the tv had been on that channel in the background. With Dish I can't! If I have live tv on in background while watching a recording and then go back to live tv it will not rewind past where it is. This is not a good feature! Please tell me how to set it up to be able to do this. I have the Hopper 3.

14 Replies

Re: Rewind Live TV after watching a recorded show

Chadt41411
Casting Director
You cannot do that. The buffer is only on when you have that channel live.

stile99
Cinematographer
While I am of the opinion that the always-on buffer that it seems every other DVR has would be nice, in practical terms I'm not sure how it would be expected to work with 16 tuners. Assuming a 30 minute buffer, that's 8 hours that's never available for recording. The number only goes up if each buffer is expected to keep all of whatever is currently on, 16 tuners buffering a two hour movie each adds up REAL fast.

bwbmom
Camera Crew
seems it should be able to do it if not all 16 are being used!

I just switched from DirecTV and am very disappointed that the Dish DVR is lacking this functionality. Seriously. DirecTV has been doing this for years. The active, live TV channel is always recording and you can rewind for a considerable length of time. It’s not that tough. The Dish dvr forces you to live TV after you exit watching a recorded show even if you were watching a show on the same channel and just watching live and Not playing from the dvr. Basically, it sucks and needs to be fixed. It’s broken. I am starting to wish I’d stayed with DirecTV

JohnJ
Extra

I agree.  This issue needs to be fixed.  My wife complains about it almost daily.  Direct's DVR offered the feature, as did my Comcast DVR.  Seems logical it would be easy to include on any DVR.

BarbieH2
Character Actor

I agree with everyone else. I had Directv for 30 years and finally got angry enough to leave them after they went up on my bill again - just because my receiver broke and I replaced under their protection plan. Every time I used the protection plan my bill would go up by $10.

I just got the Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys. I can't believe I am not able to back up the live tv after watching a recorded show.

Not only that the receiver decided to reset itself at 5pm while I was trying to watch the news. I lost all the saved time and it restarted in the middle of the next newscast. Very disappointed with Dish.

Great prices but the technology is the pits. There isn't even a record button on the remote. You have to click on so many menus just to do simple things. With Directv I had special buttons for record and delete. The program description was at the top of the guide or menu so that the font on the guide/menu could be large enough to be read. I knew beforehand that I would hate the guide but I wasn't prepared for it to be this bad.

The worst part is that Directv informed me that when they sent me the replacement receiver there was a clause buried in the fine print that automatically signed me up for another 2 years and now they want to charge me $400 for cancelling early.

Seriously these satellite companies really take advantage of people.  I remember back in the day when you owned your equipment (It was huge) but you only paid for service with the channels you wanted and many were free. You also had to subscribe to a special satellite TV guide but at least the equipment worked like it was supposed to.

DISH Employee

We are always wanting to hear how we can better improve our products and services, and I would be happy to submit this feedback to our Engineer Team. This allows us to stay Tuned In To You! I do want to look into your receiver rebooting. Have you seen the receiver turn off and on multiple times? Did you see an error message before it reset? 

We are also able to enlarge the guide on the Hopper 3. To do this, please press the Home/Menu button two times, select "Settings", select "Guide", the switch the "Larger Text" from "off" to "on".  

Here is a link with step-by-step instructions: https://www.mydish.com/support/products/hopper/how-to/set-preferences/guide. Just click on the model of remote you have, then "Guide Appearance". 

sonicmark
Extra

We've been with DirecTv for probably 15 years.  After having Dish for 3 days now, with 3 wireless Joeys, we like it.  It's a lot different.  BUT, one thing the rep should have told us, especially when we said we had been with DirecTv for so long, is the LOSS of the buffer feature.  We thought we were doing something wrong.  We had Tivo for a while too, always had a buffer.  This is a big deal and really makes watching TV a less enjoyable experience.  I was about to start referring all my associates to try Dish, now I'm not sure.  If someone at Dish reads this, PLEASE addres the buffer issue.  There are many users who are saying the same thing.

Thank you!

DISH Employee

Oh no, Sonicmark! Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your home. We hope for many happy years together and we want to do all that we can to achieve this. Buffering is never fun and we would want to investigate this with you to make sure your equipment is running at peak performance. Are you noticing the buffering only when you resume live TV after watching a recording or during other instances as well?