cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Rewind Live TV after watching a recorded show

sonicmark
Extra

Hi.

Actually, it's not buffering that is a problem, it's no apparent buffer(s).  Say I'm on a TV channel, and I go to watch a DVR recorded show.  I come back to the TV channel, but I can't rewind to go back to the start.  You can only play from right there when you switched back.  You used to have buffers on your DVR's.  Can we expect to have that again?  

Thanks a lot!

Mark

DISH Employee

Thank you for clarifying, Sonicmark! I understand that this feature was really useful in our previous models. At this time, the rewind option isn't available if you navigate away from the channel. The best options to provide you with the ability to rewind, would be to start recording the channel before you go to your DVR list. 

Highlighted

Hello,

I'm not sure you are completely in sync with what we are all complaining about here. One never really navigates away from the channel. One merely engages DVR playback while watching said channel and then when the playback completes one is returned the the original channel Without the ability to rewind. That functionality has been in the DirecTV DVR for years and I cannot understand how it is that difficult to implement in this DVR. 

There is another thinn about this DVR and I think it's more annoying and fristrating that the issue we ahve been discusing. If you are watching a program live, while it is being recorded, the feed will stop at the end of the recording. What? Yes, even though you were watching live it seems the fact the program was being recorded makes it a DVR playback. This is especially annoying if you use the device to pause when the phone rings or you need to refill your beverage or whatever. I think that is one of the major selling points of the DVR concept. Anyway, Your only real choice is to go to live TV which, as we have seen, leaves you without the ability to rewind a channel YOU WERE ALREADY WATCHING and see what you missed. 

All-in-all, this DVR is perhaps the weakest implementation I have ever used. I started back around 2000 with the ReplayTV and went through a couple iterations of Dish, TiVO and DirecTV. This is by far the most frustrating. 

Can we please get this thing fixed? I know you folks think it's not broken, but clearly it is according to your customer complaints and the fearture sets of your competitors. I'm just waiting for my contract to run out so I can just switch back to DirecTV. Unless you can make some changes...

DISH Employee

Hi Tonedimension, thank you for bringing this to our attention. With feedback like yours we have been able to improve our equipment and add features that customers want. I will gladly forward your feedback to the appropriate team as a suggested feature to add to our DVR receivers. 

sonicmark
Extra

Very well said Tonedimension!  We too had TIVO for several years, DirecTV with TIVO, DirecTV, DISH, and after 10 or so years with just DirecTV, we've "upgraded to DISH" as of 5 days ago.  These are very basic, DVR features that are, at least in our opinion, the standard you come to expect.  We think DISH has a lot going for it, but they HAVE to read these comments and please fix these basic issues.  We aren't asking the world, just basic, intelligent, DVR practices.

Hopper 3 is a good box, now it just needs some programming to fix these issues.  We were told, by both the salesperson, AND the installer, that all we had to do was add our external hard drive, and we could move our files, add to the capacity, etc.  Lo and behold, that function hasn't worked in a while, and many are complaining.  We were LIED to!!  Dish knows this isn't working, techs know it isn't working.  Why with a straight face were we told it would work immediately, just hook up your drive???????  We spent a long time thinking we were doing something wrong until we found the community boards that say otherwise.