Returning Hopper 3 cause its not a reliable product

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning Hopper 3 cause its not a reliable product

chubafelix
Camera Crew
Here are the 4 problems that finally pushed me over the edge on Hopper 3.

1. Recording from Guide is inaccurate. You would expect that selecting a show from a guide and pressing record would result in the entire show being in our DVR recording? Not according to Dish who blames it on everyone else. Sure, sports programs some times end late. But this should not happen on other material (which is does). Getting to the end of your recording and not seeing the end of your program is not what I am paying for.

2. When playing a DVR recording, the slow forward is inaccurate. Lets say you are watching, then press pause, then press slow forward. The recording starts playing NOT from the spot where you paused but from at least 40 seconds later. Again, for programing like sports this is a show stopper (no pun intended).

3. dishanywhere.com connection with Hopper 3 is unreliable. When i click on the DVR page of dishanywhere.com, my recordings come and go as they please. Sometimes I see the message: "Your Recordings are not available at this time. If you have recordings, they will display in a moment when they are loaded."
Then, the content comes back, and later its inaccessible again.

4. The HDMI connection from Hopper 3 when connected trough a Denon received does not work appropriately. On some displays, the picture is shifted to the left and you CAN NOT shift it using Dish HDMI configuration. When I connect directly to my display its fine. The issue is between Denon and Dish but regardless, not fixed for over a year that i have reported.

DISH customer support is useless. Some times i get lame excuses, some times I hear that my issues have been reported. Some times, the online chat just quits and there is no follow up.

Bye bye dish.
F
12 Replies

Re: Returning Hopper 3 cause its not a reliable product

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Just a reminder that that does not invalidate your contract.

chubafelix
Camera Crew
Doesn't it bother anyone that such malfunctioning product does not invalidate the contract? Does it have to spontaneously catch on fire or what?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
It would probably be best for you see read and see what your contract actually covers. I know the last one you posted is not a Hopper issue. That's one you would want to take up with Denon. As for the rest of them, I have yet to see any of those issues.

chubafelix
Camera Crew
Chadt4141 wrote:
It would probably be best for you see read and see what your contract actually covers. I know the last one you posted is not a Hopper issue. That's one you would want to take up with Denon. As for the rest of them, I have yet to see any of those issues.

How do you know HDMI shift is not a Hopper issue? Is there a post somewhere that specifically says "Hopper HDMI video is shifted to the left on screens through Denon receiver? If so, please share it.
All other equipment I have (many components) works fine with that same Denon. In fact, Xfinity box works fine with same Denon and display.

stile99
Cinematographer
chubafelix wrote:
Chadt4141 wrote:

How do you know HDMI shift is not a Hopper issue? Is there a post somewhere that specifically says "Hopper HDMI video is shifted to the left on screens through Denon receiver? If so, please share it.

OK.

chubafelix wrote:
The HDMI connection from Hopper 3 when connected trough a Denon received does not work appropriately. On some displays, the picture is shifted to the left and you CAN NOT shift it using Dish HDMI configuration. When I connect directly to my display its fine.

By your own words, when you connect the Hopper to the TV, it works fine. When you connect through the Denon, it is shifted to the left.

chubafelix
Camera Crew
The fact that Hopper works fine with my display directly through HDMI does not mean the problem is in Denon. If you understand how HDMI works, there is a negotiation taking place between the three devices to arrange for an appropriate connection. It is entirely possible that any of the 3 devices are not handling this information exchange properly. The only way to determine factually is to use an HDMI analyzer that shows all the HDMI messages and responses. As I stated, the only combination that does not work includes Hopper. 5 other combinations, including Xfinity receiver work fine.
So, all I was asking in my previous post is "does anyone know of specifically that combination not working". Seems a reasonable question.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The reason we can say it is not an error on Dish, is because it is working on the display the way designed. When you start adding third party equipment to the mix, and then it starts giving you the error, it is not a Dish issue. At that point it would be on the design of your third party equipment to accomadate alternative solutions. You have verified that the Hopper works as designed in that area.
You may not like that answer, but that is the answer. There is no further responsibility from the company, it would be on your specific setup.

chubafelix
Camera Crew
You are right, I don't like the answer. It is technically inaccurate. Seems like the main point of your answer is that Dish does not care about technical accuracy. I get that, not a surprise.

My main interest in this forum is to find some technical answers. The issue of how to resolve my account with Dish is basically between me and Dish and is not going to be resolved here. I have not seen any technically valuable information on any of the questions i posed here. Seems like a waste of my time.

Thanks for your time,
Cheers.
F

Mid90sDishCustomer
Camera Crew
chubafelix wrote:

1. Recording from Guide is inaccurate. You would expect that selecting a show from a guide and pressing record would result in the entire show being in our DVR recording? Not according to Dish who blames it on everyone else. Sure, sports programs some times end late. But this should not happen on other material (which is does). Getting to the end of your recording and not seeing the end of your program is not what I am paying for.

I've been a Dish customer since the '96 or so, and other than recordings that come after sporting events, I have not experienced this issue at all with the Hopper 3.

There was a trend a few years ago where the big 4 networks purposely ran their prime-time shows a few to five or so minutes past the top of the hour and that did cause headaches for the older Hoppers, but I haven't seen that network trick in a while.

With what specific shows/networks did you experience this? Also, the default timer option is set to run past the end of a recording a few minutes, so are you saying that in your case the recording ended prior to the end of the show even with that default overrun buffer?

For PTAT channels, there is a minor work-around: Often times if there is a sporting event on a Primetime Anytime local channel that pushes the following recordings well past their end times, you can catch the endings by going to the Primetime folder, locate the recording there, and running that recording.

Based on my observation PTAT seems to record the entire four hour block and then place pointers at the start and end of show, allowing you to roll past the "end" of one show and right into the next.