Resume recording while program is still live

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resume recording while program is still live

RickObe
Visual Engineer
Wow, wow, wow. I may have just discovered something. At least I hope so. I was watching a hockey game downstairs and then stopped at the end of the 1st period. About an hour later, upstairs, I decided to watch some more, and rather than FFWD thru the first period, I decided to just join live and see what was going on. So I chose Watch Live (since we no longer have a Resume option on shows that are still live). Much to my surprise, the playback resumed right where i had left off at the end of the 1st period. Interesting.

Re: Resume recording while program is still live

vlogical1
Character Actor
RickObe wrote:
Wow, wow, wow. I may have just discovered something. At least I hope so. I was watching a hockey game downstairs and then stopped at the end of the 1st period. About an hour later, upstairs, I decided to watch some more, and rather than FFWD thru the first period, I decided to just join live and see what was going on. So I chose Watch Live (since we no longer have a Resume option on shows that are still live). Much to my surprise, the playback resumed right where i had left off at the end of the 1st period. Interesting.

There is another way to resume on programs that are still recording that I recently found out about on another board. And that is to simply press the play button on the show that is still recording. As the play button acts essentially as a resume button. And the play button works as a resume button on both the Hopper itself or a joey. I found it extremely useful for the March Madness basketball tournament.

JSracer
Audio Engineer
interesting, how did you stop watching after the first period ?? pause, stop, change channels ??
thanks

same question for the second poster, how to stop watching a recording, to be able to resume it, just tune to something else ?? hope that makes sense.

thanks !!

vlogical1
Character Actor
JSracer wrote:
interesting, how did you stop watching after the first period ?? pause, stop, change channels ??
thanks

same question for the second poster, how to stop watching a recording, to be able to resume it, just tune to something else ?? hope that makes sense.

thanks !!

Yes. To stop watching a recording either punch in a channel number to go to live TV or begin watching another recorded/recording program. That is how I did the March Madness basketball tournament. On the first Thursday and Friday when there were16 games each day I just set a manual timer for all four channels that the games were on that lasted all day. And to switch between games I just selected each manual timer from the DVR menu and hit play. To switch to another channel I selected that manual recording and pressed play. I did this to switch between all four channel recordings and by pressing play instead of trying to use select the play button essentially worked as a resume button remembering where I left off every time.

Plus there is now an added bonus with the new UI that once the recording stops recording sometimes you don't see a resume button (sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't). And when you don't have a resume option after the recording has finished pressing play will at that point will restart at the beginning. However before pressing play (or watch) you will see on top of the green line where it tells you how much time is remaining in your recording. And just fast forward to that remaining time and you will again be where you left off prior to the recording being finished. So using these two methods combined you can always resume watching where you left off even if you start watching a recording while it is still recording and want to finish watching later after it has stopped recording.