cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace VIP 622, copy programming to external HDD

FrogFan
Character Actor
Hello,

I've seen various forms of my questions out there on the web and I thought I would try to confirm here that my plans to replace my ViP 622 will work before I try to execute them.

I have a ViP 622 receiver that is failing and needs to be replaced. I have some programming on its hard drive that I'd like to have available on the "new" 622 when it arrives. I've been told by a tech that I can do this with an external HDD at no charge. I'm aware that the requirements for the hard drive are that it be between 50 GB and 2 TB in size, support USB 2.0, have its own power source, and that it be a "disk" drive; i.e., it can't be a solid state drive or a USB "stick". If I'm missing something here, please advise.

I understand that I plug my external HDD into the existing 622 and follow procedures to format the drive and to copy the material on the existing 622 to the external HDD. That seems straightforward. Then, when my "new" 622 arrives, I swap out the old one for it, then plug the external HDD into the new 622. I understand when I do that, I can watch the programming I have stored on the external HDD, move it to the onboard 622 drive, etc.; i.e., the external HDD becomes fully functional attached to the new 622. Things seem to get murky here, though. I'm concerned that the "new" 622 will want to format the external HDD rather than allow me to watch the programming on it, perhaps because it doesn't recognize that it came from an active dish account or for some other reason. Moreover, there may be some reason for me to contact dish support to make this work before I try it. Is there any reason why I won't be able to use the programming on the new 622? Any "gotchas" to watch for?

Finally, external HDDs with their own power supplies have become relatively expensive, so my plan is to build my own by buying a "bare" 1 TB HDD and placing it in a hard drive enclosure which will have its own power supply and a USB 3.0 connection.

That's what I'm planning to do. Will it work? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
6 Replies

Re: Replace VIP 622, copy programming to external HDD

Chadt41411
Casting Director
If it asks to format, message a dish rep here to send a hit to your receiver. The EHD stores an account key that will identify the receiver to your account and active. This is only for HD DVRs. You cannot swap back and forth from a non DVR to a DVR such as a VIP 211 or Wally. 622 to 622 and above and you should be fine. It just will not work if you take it to your friend Frankie's Dish equipment and try to play it back.

FrogFan
Character Actor
Thank you, Chad.

I understand I can't swap between "non-DVR" receivers, and I understand I can't use the programming on a DVR from someone else's account.

Do I simply post a message in this forum if I need a dish rep to send a hit?

From your response, it seems like my idea to build my own HDD will work.

Right now, I'm waiting to confirm with the dish tech that the issues I'm experiencing are due to the receiver or if I have a defective surge protector.

You can send me the PM with your phone number and PIN and I can get the authorization signal sent for you
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

hddn
Visual Engineer
I have to admit that it's been perhaps 7 years since I've bought an EHD, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details… Back in the day, I recall lots of reports of success with WD drives, and many with Seagates as well. If I recall correctly, external enclosure results were mixed. Basically the USB stack in the DVRs is a little more limited and finicky than what you would find in a Windows machine.

I'm currently using a collection of WD Elements drives. They get the job done although some times when I plug one in, the light blinks for a while and then stops and the DVR acts like nothing was attached. So I unplug and replug until everything works. I'm not sure if other EHDs behave any better or worse. Once recognized, everything is fine, and the whole process of moving stuff around is simple.

In case you don't understand "PM", you click on a user name, and then click on "Send Private Message".

FrogFan
Character Actor
Thanks Matt G and hddn.

I understand PM and will comply if I encounter problems and need a hit.

It sounds like I'm taking a bit of a risk using an enclosure and a bare hard drive (I'd probably buy a WD or Seagate), but I may do it anyway. There seem to be few drives available under 2 TB capacity with their own power supply that cost less than $150 or so, but I can buy a bare 1 TB drive for $50 and an enclosure for $20. Seems like a risk worth taking. We'll see.

FrogFan
Character Actor
Just a quick note to indicate I finished this job with no difficulty. The bare drive and enclosure seems to be working well and there was no need for a "hit" when I plugged it into the new receiver. Although I plugged the external HDD into the new 622's USB port before I began the activation process, I waited until after the activation process was complete before I switched the drive "on" via a switch on the enclosure.

I did need to call dish to activate the new 622; I could not activate it myself.

Thanks again for the support.