Remote works poorly with Hopper3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote works poorly with Hopper3

paddleman
Extra

I got a Hopper3 June 2016.  All worked well for several months. Then the 52.0 remote started acting up, all commands were sporadic in reacting.  After spending 45 minutes on the phone with Dish, they concluded remote was faulty and sent me a replacement.  It did not work much better.  A few months ago, I bought the new voice command remote, 54.0  Same problems.  At about 10' away, directly in front of the Hopper, the remote tends to work better when pointed towards the ceiling.  It's supposed to be RF so why does that help.  Most times you have to push the button 3-6 times to get it to react.  Very frustrating.  Considering changing companies when 2 years are up soon.  Anyone else having a similar problem?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Remote works poorly with Hopper3

Chadt4141
Casting Director
What I have you doing is diagnostic to discover where the issue lies. Narrowing things down will show us what needs adjusted. I can tell you I have dozens upon dozens of electronics that are all BT and WIFI without being affected, so figuring out which one of yours is throwing the UHF signal off is the start.
6 Replies

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You have interference. Is there any electronics around the receiver? Have you checked the antenna on the back of the Hopper is hand tight and facing up?

paddleman
Extra

Thanks for the ideas, however, we went through all of these, twice, plus several more while talking with Dish.  Only electronics around receiver are TV and DVD player, both of which have been there from day one.  No one seems to consider that there could be a problem with the Hopper3, like they are so perfect it couldn't be that.  But since it worked well for several months, and we've had 3 different new remotes, seems as if Hopper just may be the problem.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Try this. Pull the Hopper 1 inch forward, again double check the antenna. Unplug the DVD player from the power. If you have any other Bluetooth or WiFi electronics nearby, even on the other side of the wall, unplug those from power as well. Reset Hopper via power cable. Test remote.

Make sure everything is completed in that order.

paddleman
Extra

Thanks Chadt4141, I will try exactly what you suggest later today & will report.  My first thought is that if you are right, how do you use the Hopper in today's world?  You cannot avoid electronic devices being in the vicinity of other electronic devices.  It would seem that Dish would have their equipment built to operate without being affected by others.  Nothing else seems bothered by the Hopper being under the TV.  And when I had a DirecTv Genie, which I left thinking I was improving my situation, it operated in the exect same place, with the exact same setup as now.  And as I said, the Hopper worked under the exact same conditions for several months.  To bad you can't switch to IR remote signal.  Maybe that would work.  Anyway, thanks for your interest.  I'll report back later.

DISH Employee

If you'd like to try switching your Hopper's remote to IR, bring up the Menu and go to Settings > Remote Control. Scroll down and at the bottom you can set the remote Infrared Reception On or Off.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
What I have you doing is diagnostic to discover where the issue lies. Narrowing things down will show us what needs adjusted. I can tell you I have dozens upon dozens of electronics that are all BT and WIFI without being affected, so figuring out which one of yours is throwing the UHF signal off is the start.