Remote Issue Related To Software Update?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Issue Related To Software Update?

wvricky2
Costume Designer

I wanted to get this out while it is still reasonably fresh in my memory. I just talked with TECH SUPPORT about a replacement remote for the leased Hopper With Sling I have been using since last December. It has been working relatively well for the vast majority of the time, compared to other subscribers Hoppers, that is. I have had no major issues other than a recording glitch that seems to have been rectified. A few days ago, the remote suddenly went bad. It is probably just coincidental that it happened about the time of a software update. I was sent a replacement remote by a Social Media member of D.I.R.T. I received it today. It seemed to pair well. It works the Hopper W/S just fine. But it will not turn on or off or control the volume of the VIZIO TV that was newly installed in early March. The TECH guy, Zach, was able to use the internet to see what was going on when I showed him the error message. I did not know that DISH could do that. I have had ISP CSRs take over my computer when trouble shooting. Well, maybe I misunderstood what he meant. But he did say this was a known software issue that a lot of others were having. And he said the problem was being worked on, and a software fix would be developed and I would get a software download that would fix it. He just did not know how long it would take or when the fix would be. Well, is this a remote issue or a Hopper issue? Any of you orange names have any info? It is getting old fast not being able to control power or volume without having to get my decrepit old knees and joints into a standing position. I wonder if this is the dreaded software update I have been lucky to avoid thus far? Has my luck just evaporated? I know, I am being way too dramatic. But it is kind of annoying.

6 Replies

Re: Remote Issue Related To Software Update?

wvricky2
Costume Designer

What does a person have to do to get a response to questions on this Forum? Say or suggest something so outrageous that the Big Bad Moderators will issue threats and warnings? I am being facetious, of course. But virtually all of my questions and comments are ignored. It does not matter in this particular case, because the problem, the remote issue has been resolved. And I did it all by myself. So much for waiting for some mythical software download to fix the problem. I fixed it and I am not going to tell how I did it. Let others who are hit with the same issue figure it out for themselves. Lots of luck calling TECH SUPPORT. The CSR told me it was a known issue and a software fix was being prepared. He just did not know when or how long it would take. Well, let me reiterate, I FIXED IT. And I am no GENIUS!!! On another sidebar, I still have not received any response from my latest PM to one of the names in orange, a D.I.R.T. member. I am not holding my breath with anticipation. D.I.R.T. has ignored me before, and I am being ignored again. Well, sometimes, ignorance can be a contributing factor to divorce and desertion.

DISH Employee
wvricky2 wrote:
What does a person have to do to get a response to questions on this Forum? Say or suggest something so outrageous that the Big Bad Moderators will issue threats and warnings? I am being facetious, of course. But virtually all of my questions and comments are ignored. It does not matter in this particular case, because the problem, the remote issue has been resolved. And I did it all by myself. So much for waiting for some mythical software download to fix the problem. I fixed it and I am not going to tell how I did it. Let others who are hit with the same issue figure it out for themselves. Lots of luck calling TECH SUPPORT. The CSR told me it was a known issue and a software fix was being prepared. He just did not know when or how long it would take. Well, let me reiterate, I FIXED IT. And I am no GENIUS!!! On another sidebar, I still have not received any response from my latest PM to one of the names in orange, a D.I.R.T. member. I am not holding my breath with anticipation. D.I.R.T. has ignored me before, and I am being ignored again. Well, sometimes, ignorance can be a contributing factor to divorce and desertion.

We do apologize for any delay in responding. We do respond whenever possible, but you are right we do not always respond as quickly as other platforms we are on. Also, there are times the community on this site helps each other out. We do have some lower staff than normal so make sure you are sending a pm to someone that is scheduled by following this link

https://forum.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18087

. I also have some agents out of the office this week so they could have your pm waiting for them when they return. We do prioritize our work and if you need a quicker response the best way is to hit us up with a private message on Facebook or a direct message on Twitter as we monitor those sites as our priority. Other than that you can always chat or call in for immediate assistance. We do appreciate your patience.

skoy2016
Costume Designer
I understand the frustration. But, pls remember this forum is for users to help. Either people were busy or did not know how to answer your question. I have been a Dish user a very long time. When I call, I realize some tech reps simply don't know how to help, and read from manual. And some help you immediately.

Would u now tell us how yo fixed your remote in case it happens to one of us? If you do, you will get somebody's blessing. take care.

rootazoid
Camera Crew
Could the "fix" have been simply pressing the [b:3rotgj6p]SAT button[/b:3rotgj6p] on the side of the remote. I've had a few remote malfunctions, and they were all about having accidentally pressed some [i:3rotgj6p]other[/i:3rotgj6p] side button on the poorly designed remote.

skoy2016
Costume Designer
Good point. As a left handed person, I don't like those 4 buttons on the left side of the remote. My index finger always touches them. I should have kept the old remote (40) when I switched to Hopper 3. It was mentioned here we, users, could keep them. Remote 40 is about $24 at Amazon.

hddn
Visual Engineer
wvricky2 wrote:
But virtually all of my questions and comments are ignored. It does not matter in this particular case, because the problem, the remote issue has been resolved.

Honestly I didn't understand the first post. eg: It doesn't work but you get an error message? An error message from the TV? What error message? And the tech somehow looks across the internet to see how your remote is interacting (or not) with your TV?

But it works if you stand up? Or does that mean that you threw out the TV remote and are walking to the TV?

wvricky2 wrote:
And I did it all by myself. So much for waiting for some mythical software download to fix the problem.

Well I never understood how a software download was involved in the first place. Sounded more like: code for the TV hadn't been entered or some such, but I got confused by all error message, internet etc. stuff in the first post. Sorry.