cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote 54.0 Standby Mode?

BillK
Audio Engineer
I've never seen this before:

My older remotes put the Joey into standby mode (with the moving screen image) as soon as you hit the Power button on their remotes.

The Power button on the 54.0 remote sends the Joey into some type of suspend mode, where you are told that the unit will go into standby in five minutes unless you press another key to resume watching TV, and a countdown timer appears on-screen.

What's that all about?
Tags (3)
15 Replies

Re: Remote 54.0 Standby Mode?

DISH Employee
That's definitely strange. I haven't been able to play with a 54.0 remote yet, but that is the first I have heard of it doing that. The only thing I can think of is to try de-linking the remote, and resetting the receiver. Once everything is back up, re-link it and see if the response time is quicker.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
Do you have an old remote still paired to the Joey that you can test? I would wonder if it's actually the remote, or if there's been a change to the Joey software that's doing this?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
that's the way the new 54 remote works, both of mine are the same way and on SatGuys other users have reported it too (on Hopper & Joey).

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer
Mine gives me the same message about going into standby in 5 minutes unless I press a button to watch TV sometimes when I first power it on. It does this on the Hopper 3 itself, not sure about the Joey since we do not watch that TV very much. I thought it had something to do with me watching TV at midnight. It's no big deal - I just press a button and then watch TV. I have the 54.0 remote.

BillK
Audio Engineer
I can confirm the 54.0 remote does the same on my Hopper 3.

For now I am continuing to shut them off with an older remote as I don't like the five minute countdown standby mode as apparently, at least on the Hopper 3, it seems to induce a guide update reboot rather than just power the unit off.

What is even more disconcerting is that when in "standby" mode, the video will be the countdown timer and audio will stop, but the front panel LED will remain on, making you think the receiver may not have seen the remote command.

ivanyarrow
Extra
My Dish Remote 54.0 works ok with my Hopper 3 and LG TV. It will turn on and off the receiver and tv with no problems. I just got a new 54.0 to use with my Joey and Samsung TV in my bedroom and the remote will turn on both units but only turns off the tv reception and the Joey light stays on with the Standby Mode dialog.

Why??????

Is the Joey going to power off or not?

My old remote turned ON and OFF the Joey and TV with no problems.

Why the difference?

Thanks

stile99
Cinematographer
What happens after the five minutes as noted in prior posts?

ivanyarrow
Extra
It finally does turn off the light on the Joey.

Makes no sense but as long as if finally will turn off the Joey I guess I can't
complain.

ZXNasty
Camera Crew

I have this same issue with my brand new 54.0 remote. There doesn’t seem to be a way to turn off JUST the receiver any more. Even when selecting the DISH input on the side then pressing power, it turns off my TV and brings up the message about standby mode.

I have been told repeatedly that this is a new “feature”. I can’t fathom how this is beneficial as it creates an issue for anyone that has more than just the DISH receiver plugged into their TV. Even a supervisor told me this is a feature. So you’re forced to wait through the inactivity period if you want your receiver to go off. This is because even if the message about standby comes up, as soon as you press TV to switch inputs, it turns the receiver back on. All I want is a way to turn off JUST my dish receiver like I can without issue with my 52.0 remote.