Recording shows

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording shows

krmills
Character Actor
WHY does my TV sometimes automatically change to a program I am recording when I'm watching something else? My old receiver didn't do that. Many times I will be watching one show I want to watch, knowing I have one or two other shows recording. I DON"T WANT to watch the shows I'm recording right then. If I did, I wouldn't be RECORDING it. Is there a way to stop this from switching to the recorded show?
Tags (3)
9 Replies

Re: Recording shows

DISH Employee
Hello krmills. With most receivers, if the tuners available are all being used, by other recordings or TV viewing, it would switch to have it on one of the available TV's. It can also be due to the priority settings on the recordings. What model of receiver do you have?

krmills
Character Actor
It just says Hopper with Sling on it. I only use 1 TV. I have never set a priority on my recordings

DISH Employee
The Hopper w/Sling has 3 tuners. Do you record using PrimeTime Anytime? That can take a tuner for those channels. Do you know how many shows are being recorded when that happens?

krmills
Character Actor
Prime Time does record on it's own. I never set it to do that. No, I don't know how many shows are being recorded when it does that. Tonight a box came up saying something was starting to record, and did we want to stay on our show or change to it. Yes or No. I don't remember my old box ever doing that, and it means I have to be sitting there watching every ending to stop it from changing channels. My husband had a stroke and he's not able to use the remote. It's very frustrating. If I'm not there he can't do anything about it.

DISH Employee
If you would like to stop PrimeTime Anytime from recording in the future you can turn off that feature in the receiver settings. Using the remote, while in front of the main Hopper receiver, press Menu>Settings>DVR Defaults> PrimeTime>Off>Save. That will stop any future PrimeTime recordings.

krmills
Character Actor
Thank you, I will do that and maybe it will solve one problem. I appreciate your help.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
You have 3 tuners, that means you can watch one live show & record 2 more at same time. Where it might be an issue is the default "start recording 1 min early & end 3 min late", which causes a tuner to be in use to cover the overlap (can be adjusted).

Hoppers work differently than older receivers since they have PTAT, but there's an advantage to that since it only uses 1 tuner to record all 4 major networks at the same time.
Highlighted

gacoon
Camera Crew
The original poster may indeed have a problem if they are using newer software. I upgraded to new Hooper with Sling over the Holidays and the first I noticed was the channel switching behaviour she mentioned. See the following post:

https://support.dish.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20456

krmills
Character Actor
Thank you, that is exactly what is happening with mine, and it's a new hopper. I want my old one back or they need to find a quick fix to this.