Recording Programs with VIP722K Receiver

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording Programs with VIP722K Receiver

With our old receiver we could record one program and watch live TV at the same time. We tried to do that last night and it did not work with this new receiver. We have 2 TVs hooked up and have them set to dual mode. We were trying to do the recording with TV1 which is the main TV. According to the manual, we can record up to 2 different programs and watch a pre-recorded program but it doesn't say how to record and watch live TV at the same time. Thanks.
Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: Recording Programs with VIP722K Receiver

hddn
Visual Engineer
What was your old receiver? What mode did you have it in? It sounds to me like the old receiver was in single mode. In single mode, both TVs get the same output, but you get more flexibility in using the two tuners.

I think in dual mode, you can still watch a live program while recording, as long as the recording is setup on the OTHER TV. (I don't use dual mode and don't watch live TV but I think this is the case.)

I don't recall what the old receiver was. It was quite old and did not have the capability of dual mode. Single mode only. We did not have a 2nd tv hooked up to the receiver. You could record one channel and then go to another channel and watch live tv. You could flip back and forth between the 2 channels and still continue to record.
I also don't care for using PIP. You have to put the tv in single mode to do it. So if someone wants to watch something different on TV2 they can't if someone is watching PIP on TV1.

Jeremiah64
Extra
If I'm reading what you are saying correctly, you should definitely be able to record a show and watch a live show at the same time. As was mentioned, make sure the show you are recording is on the other tv. If you are watching on tv 1 make sure the program you want to record is on tv 2 (or vise versa if you are on tv2.) When you hit the record button, if should open up a window that allows you to select which tv it is being recorded on (as well as give you other options like extending the end time and creating recurring timers. Every once in a while I notice it doesn't give me that option it automatically records on the tv I'm watching. Haven't been able to figure out why sometimes it doesn't allow it. If that happens I usually go in the other room and start recording with that one and then watch live in the other room. Hope that helps.