Recorded Programs Missing from DVR

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recorded Programs Missing from DVR

Usmaak
Camera Crew

I have a Hopper 3 that will lose recorded shows.  It is very random and I haven't been able to find a pattern.  Since it became obvious what was happening, I've been closely watching the DVR and all shows, to make sure that something doesn't go missing.  When it does, I usually have to buy the episode.  I do not appreciate the extra expense of having to buy shows that should be on my DVR.  I already pay enough money to Dish.

I do not have Primetime Anytime turned on.  I never have.  It is not dependent on the network.  I've lost shows from all networks.  It is not recent.  It's been going on for a couple of years.  It is sporadic.  I cannot predict when it will happen and I'll go months without it happening only to have a few shows disappear almost at the same time.  I do not keep a large number of shows on my DVR.  At most, I'll have somewhere less than ten episodes of a show at any given time.  Most often it's five or less.  I tried protecting all of the shows, and I do mean all of them.  That did not make a difference.  I just lost two shows today and they were all protected.

Last year sometime, I contacted tech support and they got on my DVR and looked to see if they could find out what was going on.  I watched the screen as tech support when through the DVR.  He did all of the same things I did to try and find the shows that were missing at the time, and they were just gone.  He gave up.

I have two Hopper 3s in this house.  One of them has never lost a single show and the other one has the problems with losing the shows.  I made sure that the shows weren't being recorded on the wrong DVR.  They weren't.

I would really like this DVR to function as expected.  I am not sure if it is a hardware or a software problem.  I just want a working DVR so that I can stop spending extra money to buy shows that should be on the DVR.

Any ideas or suggestions?

5 Replies

Re: Recorded Programs Missing from DVR

DISH Employee

Sorry to hear you are having these issues with the recordings Usmaak, if you don't mind there are a couple questions I would like to ask just to help narrow down the issue?

I know you have a small number of recordings, but are you keeping them in any custom made folders?  If so, what did you name the folders?  Are the recordings showing up in the recycle bin?  Are they visible, but when you try to load them, they simply never appear and you either get an endless loading bar, or a message saying no episodes available?  Or are the recordings completely vanishing and are just gone?

Also you mention you have two Hopper 3's, but this only happens on one.  Did you ever call back when the issue reccurred?  What troubleshooting was done beyond looking for the recordings?

Highlighted

Usmaak
Camera Crew

I have no special folders.  Everything is just in whatever folder the DVR puts them in.

Nothing shows up in the recycle bin.  The recordings are just gone.  I check every single time one goes missing.

The recordings are no longer visible at all.  I see them and then a few days later, they're just gone with no explanation.  So, they are vanishing and are just gone.

I never called back.  The first time I called, the tech just went through my DVR the exact same way that I did.  He looked in different folders.  He looked in the recycle bin.  Then he said that the show was gone and that there was nothing else to do.  It was completely useless.

DISH Employee

Hmmm if the recordings are just vanishing and gone that means they are probably getting corrupted on the hard drive and this may indicate a large issue with that Hopper.  I would definitely give tech support a call back if this is continueing and make sure they understand it is only one Hopper with the issue and it has been consistently recurring, we may ultimately need to replace this box if troubleshooting is not resolving the issue.

Usmaak
Camera Crew

When they swap them out, can they transfer shows from one to the other?  I have a number of shows that I haven't watched yet and I don't want to lose anything.

DISH Employee

Sorry for the late response!

In this case transfering would probably not be likely because the symptoms indicate it is the hard drive itself going bad.  That means the files themselves are corrupt and can't be used, or possibly truly lost.

That said any recordings still on the Hopper can be transfered to the replacement Hopper, or to an external hard drive which can then be connected to the new Hopper.  Depends on how you would want to attempt it, generally using an external hard drive is a little faster.