Recommended compatible external hard drives?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended compatible external hard drives?

KripkeA
Extra
Hi first post, longtime DISH user. So I have some questions:

1. How do you reset a password on this forum? There was mention of a password reset button or link in the FAQ. I can't find it.

2. How do you get in contact with the board moderators to ask a question about an account?

3. Does anyone have a recommendation for current on the market *powered* external hard drives that will work with a vip722k DVR receiver as a secondary DVR to transfer programming? Brands to focus on, models to avoid? I'm finding the powered hard drives to be much harder to find than usb. USB are everywhere!

4. Would it be possible to just use a regular hard drive (that meets specs) with an enclosure with its own power source (plug to wall)? Or is there some reason it must be an external hard drive?

4. Why can't you use a 3-4+ TB hard drive?

5. Can the USB rating go any higher than 3.0 and still work?

6. And lastly, programming that transfers successfully but does not show up on the external hard drive...is it lost or just hidden? Seems to show up randomly when you delete programming. This happens when the hard drive space goes under 100 gb. Anyone have an explanation for this?

Thanks very much. Hope you can help!
3 Replies

Re: Recommended compatible external hard drives?

DISH Employee
KripkeA wrote:

1. How do you reset a password on this forum? There was mention of a password reset button or link in the FAQ. I can't find it.

2. How do you get in contact with the board moderators to ask a question about an account?

3. Does anyone have a recommendation for current on the market *powered* external hard drives that will work with a vip722k DVR receiver as a secondary DVR to transfer programming? Brands to focus on, models to avoid? I'm finding the powered hard drives to be much harder to find than usb. USB are everywhere!

4. Would it be possible to just use a regular hard drive (that meets specs) with an enclosure with its own power source (plug to wall)? Or is there some reason it must be an external hard drive?

6. And lastly, programming that transfers successfully but does not show up on the external hard drive...is it lost or just hidden? Seems to show up randomly when you delete programming. This happens when the hard drive space goes under 100 gb. Anyone have an explanation for this?

Hello Kripke,

#1 We can resend the activation. Was your password compromised?

#2 We are in green and you can private message us. Please be aware of our schedules listed on our signatures. We will publicly answer posts, specific account details and passwords shouldn't be posted publicly.

#3 It has to be an external drive. While customers may use other devices with some success, we don't recommend it. Also the hard drive will be reformatted to function properly with the receiver. Be sure there is nothing you'll need from that EHD. Also the USB port doesn't have the output to power the drives. It has to be self powered.

#4 Up to 2 TB drive. Higher could work but we don't recommend it and can't guarantee results or functionally

#5 See answers for #2 and #3.

#6 See #2 and #3, Are these transfers VOD or PPV? Are these programs that were recorded during a free preview event?

KripkeA
Extra
MarkL wrote:
KripkeA wrote:

Hello Kripke,

#1 We can resend the activation. Was your password compromised?

#2 We are in green and you can private message us. Please be aware of our schedules listed on our signatures. We will publicly answer posts, specific account details and passwords shouldn't be posted publicly.

#3 It has to be an external drive. While customers may use other devices with some success, we don't recommend it. Also the hard drive will be reformatted to function properly with the receiver. Be sure there is nothing you'll need from that EHD. Also the USB port doesn't have the output to power the drives. It has to be self powered.

#4 Up to 2 TB drive. Higher could work but we don't recommend it and can't guarantee results or functionally

#5 See answers for #2 and #3.

#6 See #2 and #3, Are these transfers VOD or PPV? Are these programs that were recorded during a free preview event?

Not compromised, but for some reason the chosen password didn't take? And no way to reset that I can find. But don't worry, I setup the new ID and seems to be working fine. What time zone are the hours posted? I'm CST. The Dish reps on the phone and chat confused things. They reset the main user account id. I think we have it corrected now. But either way, one good ID is all I need.

Making sure you didn't misunderstand. What I meant was can you take a regular hard drive and put it in an enclosure to substitute for the regular EHD? By using the enclosure, I think it will act as an EHD. But wasn't sure if there was some other technical reason why the EHD must specifically be used. Either way, it will have its own power source (i.e. wall outlet connection).

As to the recordings, they are just regular programming and movies. Some were on free preview weekends but none are VOD or PPV.

olds4422
Audio Engineer
I just use 2.0/3.0 usb hdd dock with it own power supply and throw in one my 2.5/3.5 hdd i laying around and it works, 2.0 speed take while to transfer dvr though. it has worked with all the DVR box i had from dish to date.

HDD dock with own power supply for 35$ has the advantage of being able to HDD of bigger capacity for much less then if it was a "portable" drive