Receiver reset issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiver reset issue

cbrookhart
Camera Crew
I've been dealing with a recurring issue and so far have not been able to get it resolved. On occasion, the picture will freeze while the receiver tunes to some other channel by itself. When I go to change the channel, the screen will go black and the receiver will reset.

A few seconds later, I'll see 0 of 0 tuners in use. The picture will come back, but in a small window in the upper right corner. I can get the full picture back eventually.

Here's the background information on where I am at this point. I had a tech visit for this issue in February, but not much was done other than look at the outside wiring and checking the signal strength. This issue continued, so I'm June I had another tech visit for the same issue. This time the wiring from the dial into the equipment room at my apartment was checked. It was determined that there had been damage done to the cables. They were fixed, but the issue came back again.

I then opted to have the receiver replaced. I thought this would once and for all fix the issue, but that was not the case. It happened again, and I was advised to do a soft reset. I've done that, but to no surprise, the issue has happened again.

I contacted dish support via Twitter and they were going to schedule a tech visit. Seeing as how I've already had two tech visits for the same issue, I'd rather not have to incur another charge for a tech visit. The receiver is plugged directly into the wall. I'm thinking that this is related to the prime time recording and that the receiver is resting itself right after the start and right after the end of prime time recording, but I can't be certain that's the cause of the issue.

With all this information, what's the next step? If this continues to be an issue, them in going to have no choice but to cancel service. I of course mentioned that to the Twitter support team the last time I had this issue.
6 Replies

Re: Receiver reset issue

TG2
Character Actor
Doesn't sound normal.

I've been with dish mostly "on" for more than 18 years, 3 different sets of hardware in that time. The most common thing I've experienced is hard drive failure, including in two replacement units till they finally sent a new unused box, and that lasted for 5 years till I upgraded to the hoppers.

The cable blame is often a rouse for "don't know what caused it but I see something that isn't perfect so I'll fix this and claim that's the problem".

This kind of thing happens all the time in the tech industry ... I had 15 tech visits in 2 months from Comcast/Adelphia when the issue was always the fact their hardware was overloaded, and finally the last tech they'd sent had inside information that they were upgrading their side the following week and everything I'd been seeing was caused by that hardware.

Anyway .. the first words of advice, try to log every time it happens, date, time, channel, try to take stock of what's going on around you .. you said an apartment ... you mean sub-section of a house? or an actual apartment building? If the box comes back quickly enough spend a minute or two on the connections diag screens looking for one showing signal strength so you can just if you see wild variations (cable/broadcast/repeater issues) or if its steady like a rock.

If and apartment building interference from other remotes, other systems, malicious little rug rats playing with the neighbor's cable for "fun". Also there's the potential other neighbors are having the same or similar issues.

While the signal to your box is vastly similar to what we home dwellers get, the units they use in some apartment complexes is different enough to cause oddball issues, but usually you'd not be the only tenant.

Once you've gathered more data, start looking for others with the same conditions (you're here so you're already looking for it) and then start looking for patterns and similarities .. open a dialog with a DIRT member (Dish Internet Response Team) etc.. you may want to start with them first, so they can give you links to places where they have steps to follow to log and gather data to help them help you.

Good luck.!!.

DISH Employee
We would like to review your account. We do, though, want to forward your feedback. In order to provide the best possible customer experience, feedback is absolutely necessary along with knowing the model of your Hopper receiver. May I please get a private message of your account/phone and 4 digit PIN to relay your feedback?

cbrookhart
Camera Crew
Katy,

I sent you a PM as requested. Not sure if it actually got sent because I'm seeing it in the outbox along with another PM that I sent to someone else last month.

cbrookhart
Camera Crew
Another day and this issue has happened AGAIN!!!

Needless to say, this is unacceptable that this issue has continued to happen and there's no solution yet. This time, the picture switched over to the local NBC channel, but there was no audio. It happened right at 11:00pm.

I'm now convinced that this is directly related to prime time recording. There's no recording in process that would be using the last remaining tuner. In other words, prime time is recording on one tuner and I'm watching something on another tuner, leaving one free tuner.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Messages will remain in the outbox until they are read. Who did you send a message to last month?

cbrookhart
Camera Crew
I sent a message to Matt G. I didn't realize that the PMs actually stay in the outbox until they are read. We ended up communicating with each other outside of the forums.