Receiver Overheating

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiver Overheating

SKIPPY49
Extra
My receiver has started overheating and shutting down. If I jiggle it the fan will start up and cool it down and it will work for a while and then will overheat again with the fan stopping again. What can be done? It is in the same place it has been for about 7 yrs so I'm sure it is the fan.
5 Replies

Re: Receiver Overheating

stile99
Cinematographer
If you jiggle 'what', the fan will work for a short period and then stop? The fan or the box itself?

It sounds like a loose connection, so the answer will most likely be replacement, especially if the box is 7 years old. Other than shooting some canned air in there there's not really a long list of other options.

hddn
Visual Engineer
If you don't want to replace/repair the receiver you could probably just set a fan next to the non-functioning fan but outside the box. There are lots of places selling, AV coolers and USB fans that would work for that. The simplest ones are just a typical 80mm fan packaged with a low voltage power supply.

SKIPPY49
Extra
What I "jiggle" is the complete receiver. I just pick it up about 1/4" and drop it and the "jar" makes the fan start spinning. I have no problem with replacing the receiver but I do not own it. Customer service told me to call or live chat and I replied that I do not have time to do that right now and would rather just cancel my service than deal with a long phone call. They told me who to call to cancel service. Great help.

kauxier
Extra

DISH Employee

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your receiver.  You definitely should not have to jiggle anything to force the fan to work. I'd be happy to take a look at your account to offer further assistance. Can you please send me a private message that includes your phone number, and security pin so that I may access your account?