Random recording started half hour in to last night's update

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random recording started half hour in to last night's update

mikewn
Extra
A very strange recording got started in the middle of last night's update with a few other side effects that I think might have been the result of a flawed system update, which perhaps needs fixing? Have a VIP/720 receiver.

Here is a description of the symptoms of the problem:

I had my nightly update set to start at 6 AM PST so that it would be complete before the first event I had scheduled on a manual timer that started at 7:59 AM this morning for two hours. I normally have another event that starts in the middle of that on my other channel at 8:59 AM, which is also a M-F manual event that goes between 8:59 AM and noon.

Another event recording started at 6:30 AM in the middle of the 6:00 AM event on a separate channel (RT) that showed "Russia Today Programming" which I think is the default when the program schedule isn't set for this channel in future events. Assuming that the channel guide wasn't loaded at this point, which is why this shows now.

When I got to my receiver this morning after waking up, I noticed that he 8:59 AM event didn't start recording until after the first event had completed at 10:02 AM. This other event was still recording, and wasn't showing up as a timer event at all in the schedule window. Just a recording in the "My Recordings" window with a red recording dot that it was still recording then, which presumably blocked my 8:59 AM event from starting at the right time.

In my "Daily Schedule" window, I noticed the following entries for today, some of which looked strange in the following order:

1. (2) - Done - "Good Day Oregon at 6am"
2. (1) - No Event - "The Big Picture with Tho..."
3. (2) - Done - "The Stephanie Miller Show"
4. (2) - Done - "The B1G Show"
5. (1) - Done - "The Stephanie Miller Show"

Looking at the details on each of these entries as follows:

1. Good Day Oregon at 6am
7:59 pm - 10:00 pm
012-00 KPTV
Weekly - Mon DVR1

Event Completed by User 2
Start Time: 6:30 am
Stop Time: 6:30 am

2. The Big Picture With Thom Hartmann
4:00 - 5:00 pm
280 RT
Mon - Fri DVR1

The Event didn't exist

3. The Stephanie Miller Show
8:59 am - 12:00 pm
9415 . FSTV
Mon - Fri DVR1

Event Completed by User 2
Start Time: 6:30 am
Stop Time: 6:30 am

4. The B1G Show
7:59 am - 10:02 am
410 BIG10
Mon - Fri DVR1

Event Completed by User 1
Start Time: 7:59 am
AV Recorded: 7:59 am
Stop Time: 10:02 am
AV Stopped: 10:02 am

5. The Stephanie Miller Show
8:59 am - 12:00 pm
9415 FSTV
Mon - Fri DVR1

Event Completed by User 1
Start Time: 8:59 am
AV Recorded: 10:03 am
Stop Time: 12:00 am
AV Stopped: 12:00 pm

----------------

So, some weird "User 2" events listed that occurred during 6:30 AM which likely were a side effect of some problem with the nightly update. Note the following that might have contributed to this situation:
1) On item 1, this seems weird, and perhaps linked to a weekly (for MONDAY, not today!) manual timer that I'd just deleted earlier yesterday when doing house keeping since the show 24: Legacy had ended on Monday night and I would be creating a newer one for this channel the following Monday. Why was there an entry for this at 6:30 AM?
2) On item 2, this reflects the channel that was actually being recorded for hours and still recording without a timer event associated with it starting at 6:30 AM (that obviously interfered with the event (entry 5 above) that was supposed to start at 8:59 AM but couldn't because this non-timer recording was recording on this channel.
3) On item 2, I note that this timer event still has this scheduled for an hour event that normally starts at 4:00 PM on RT M-F. Like many other timers, it appears to for the past few months when after this show was switched to a half hour show (4:00-4:30 PM) it had "found" this event appropriately to record it, like timers usually do when an event shifts an hour or some other minor variant from the normal schedule happens. Was it looking at this problem (and perhaps that the schedule wasn't in place for RT at 6:30 AM) that started this recording at the flawed time of 6:30 AM? I'm going to go ahead and update this M-F timer to be more accurate 4:00-4:30 PM timer.
4) Yes I do record RT, and yes, I know that our government is concerned about Russia spying and us watching "propaganda" from this channel that is owned by them, even if it provides a voice to non-corporate AMERICAN voices like Thom Hartmann that don't get air time on their corporate media channels that are more "blessed" by our government today. Perhaps there's some side effect in putting some spyware in the nightly update? :)

I've restarted my receiver right after noon today and don't notice anything wrong at the moment, but in case there is some bug in the current OS version which might cause this behavior again tomorrow morning, I hope I have enough information here for someone to track the cause of this behavior which appears to be the side effect of a recently introduced bug, which perhaps is a side effect of some work on timers (which appears to be a topic of support here in the last week as having problems being worked on).
3 Replies

Re: Random recording started half hour in to last night's up

In your timers list do you have any that say SEEK or DISH PASS on the right side?
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

mikewn
Extra
I don't see anything on the right on the index page of "Daily Schedule". All timers listed in my Timers list have "DVR" in the right column. Don't see these words anywhere else either. I only have either manual timers or those I've selected from the schedule to create. Have not created any other timers that are out of the ordinary. Just now deleted the old "4:00 - 5:00 PM" timer that "found "4:30-4:00 PM" event, and replaced it with one that is more accurately looking for 4:00 - 4:30 PM" on the same channel that has the random recording done. Don't recall seeing those words on that timer either before deleting it.

This will likely be part of our new guide data provider. Please send me a PM with your phone number and 4 digit PIN so I can assist you further.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator