cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Program recorded in many segments and very slow recording of on demand programs

allanstaib
Extra

My Hopper 3 is recording programs in many segments.  For instance a program that is one hour long might show it has 5 “episodes” in the DVR menu but when you open the program icon you see it has many elements of the one program just a few minutes of each segment.  When watching a previousLy recorded program, even it shows to be in one piece, it will stop during playback and switch to live tv.  You can go back to the dvr and resume from the spot it stopped but will repeat this over and over.  Dish sent a tech who thought it was a Hopper failure and gave me a new one but the new one is doing the same thing.  Trying to record on demand programming is very unreliable. We get “download failed” messages half the time. Anyone have any ideas on what is happening?

Thanks!

Allan

5 Replies

Re: Program recorded in many segments and very slow recording of on demand programs

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
What are your internet speeds? The on demand will be reliant on your internet.

Re: Program recorded in many segments and very slow recording of on demand programs

allanstaib
Extra

I have ViaSat satellite internet and the speed varies a lot.  I know slow speed might slow on demand download but is it possible gaps in sufficient speed causes a program to be recorded in many segments?  That still would not explain the problem of dropping out of viewing of a recorded program taking me back to live TV.  I can go back to the program on the dvr and resume but sometimes it will do that every few minutes eve if the program shows to be in one piece on the dvr.

Thanks for trying to help solve the issue!

Allan

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
The broken recordings, not so sure about. First thought I had was something interrupting it, but honestly, I am not sure.
Unfortunately, I don’t see the On Demand working to well with Viasat. The ping time alone will timeout the download.

allanstaib
Extra

Thanks for the input.  So, if the latency lag of the satelite download is too long, it will cause the recording to be broken up into pieces like I am seeing?  That might explain one piece but not why when watching a program recorded in "one piece" that during playback it drops out of playback mode into live TV and I have to go back to the DVR and resume watching.  I guess the two issues could be unrelated but since they both started happening at the same time, and now on both my original Hopper 3 and now it's replacment, it seems suspicious!  Is it possible that tree branches blowing back and forth through the beam could be disrupting the Dish signal but not enough to show an error?  When the tech checked the signal strength, it all looked very good but I know when they set it up it was just clearing the trees.  I think I'll get up the signal strentgh test and just let it sit there for a while and see if there is an interruption in the signal.  Not sure the signal monitor is continuous but I'll check.

Thanks again for helping to figure this out!

Allan

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
The internet will not impact recordings at all. That would be Video son Demand only, but correct.

A tree branch could certainly do that, depending on size and location. Definitely a possibility.