Problems with accessing content saved to external hard drive

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with accessing content saved to external hard drive

JohnAV
Character Actor
Offloading content to external storage (hard drives): In all the years I’ve been with DISH, my receiver has NEVER lasted more than 6-7 months. As a result, I now offload everything I record so I won’t lose it from the receiver failure certain to occur.

Here are the problems I face daily from content saved to EXTERNAL hard drives:

(1) I must reboot my Hopper 3 EVERY time after I transfer programs.

(2) It takes AT LEAST two attempts to view programming saved to EXTERNAL DRIVES. The first time, the screen simply goes blank, requiring the user to renew the viewing attempt. Occasionally, it takes three attempts.

(3) When playing back an offloaded recording from OTHER than the beginning, the program “jumps� forward 1 to 3 minutes, requiring the user to back up; stopping the program after backing up causes it to “jump� again. This only occurs when watching a recording from a Joey.

Are UI "upgrades" beta tested at all? I mean by "heavy users"? The problems suggest "no".
4 Replies

Re: Problems with accessing content saved to external hard d

JSracer
Audio Engineer
(2) It takes AT LEAST two attempts to view programming saved to EXTERNAL DRIVES. The first time, the screen simply goes blank, requiring the user to renew the viewing attempt. Occasionally, it takes three attempts.

yep, i see that too. takes me the 2nd attempt for the show to start.
never an issue on the 722k

BillK
Audio Engineer
JSracer wrote:

On my Hopper3 I saw a message that it needed to spin up the external drive... [b:v29jeaoe]then[/b:v29jeaoe] the screen went blank, requiring another attempt. :cry:

I continue to be amazed at how much functionality my 722s had that the Hopper3 doesn't, including features that are just brain-dead simple.

The one I miss most: The one-click ability to record the [i:v29jeaoe]entire[/i:v29jeaoe] showing of an event I've been watching if the start of the program is still in my viewing buffer.

PIP is another; I used it on Christmas to have both TBS and TNT running side by side to see how close the two showings of [i:v29jeaoe]A Christmas Story[/i:v29jeaoe] were. :D

JohnAV
Character Actor
I wholeheartedly agree. DISH eliminated way more functionality that they added by 10:1. A truly pathetic "upgrade". Makes viewing a misery.

ybstudios
Extra

My Hopper w/sling worked fine untile the "upgrade" several months ago.  Now I have to go thru the drill twice to view the programming on the external drive.  I have three HD's hooked up and they work great except for the viewing.  Maybe I need to try a different "network".  I talked to dish about this last year and they gave me the "we're working on it".