Problems with External HD

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with External HD

windyweather
Character Actor

I have a USB attached HD which has worked through several generations of Hoppers and worked with this one.

BUT Now it's tossing errors.

When I try to play something from the External drive, sometimes it works but mostly it flashes a message on the screen and then goes black. By using a video camera to record the screen I was able to catch the message:

ATTENTION 1221

External USB hard drive "External Device 1" is in spin-up state. Wait for Activation.

(OK)

The message flashes and immediately disappears. When the video does play it plays normally.

But the only way to recover from this state is to go to (DVR) and start again.

I considered writing down or photographing all the details of the Hopper software / firmware and ty0ing them all in here, but that will take too much time. Besides, this thing updates itself over the network, right? And it's connected to the internet so it must have the latest software as of 23 April 2018. I don't have 1/2 an hour to record it all.

And why doesn't this hopper, since it's so smart, have a way to do a screen cap and then record a comment - vocal of course - and upload that to support? With all the relevant details of Firmware / software and HW versions etc etc etc and a memory dump if that's useful? Everything else in my house has a microphone in it and is listening. What's the matter Dish? Hoppers don't have a microphone for me to worry about you recording and so I can submit support issues? How 1990's of you.

Looks like a bug to me.

I assume the support staff checks this forum occasionally.

Have a nice day.

Tags (2)
10 Replies

Re: Problems with External HD

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
If it is USB powered without its own power source, then it is unsupported.

tommyy2
Audio Engineer

"External USB hard drive "External Device 1" is in spin-up state"

Drive could be failing.

Google "Disk Stiction"

windyweather
Character Actor

Yes, yes, as I said I have been using this drive on several iteraltions of the hopper and it's always worked fine. YES IT Has an external power supply.

I figured out the bug.

The bug is, that like most drives intended for use in PCs, the drive apparently spins down when not in use.

So, when you try to use the drive to play something, it's asleep. And the Hopper doesn't know how to WAIT until it spins up. And it doesn't know how to display the messsage for more than a frame or two of the video, so unless you record the screen you'll never see it.

But, if you try to play a video, and it fails. Just try again and it will work. Since the drive started to spin up when you tried the first time, by the time you try the second time it will have spun up and works fine.

BTW, whenever you finish using the External HD, the DVR function is reset to the internal device. This of course is a pain in the kiester.

So TWO BUGS that are easily repaired.

Have a great day.

PCHearn
Camera Crew

I have the same external hard drive problem, with the message that flashes so quickly you can't read it.  

External USB hard drive "External Device 1" is in spin-up state. Wait for Activation.

However, every time I try to play a show from the external hard drive, I get the message and it locks the system up.  I have to unplug it and re-plug it back in to get Dish to work again.  Every time.  This is just terrible.

DISH Employee

Some EHDs have a sleep mode that is enabled by the manufacturer by default.  Basically, after X amount of time of not being used they go to "sleep" and do not wake up properly.  Connect the EHD to a computer to see if it has this.  You will likely want to refer to EHD manufacturer or the manual that came with the EHD.  You can also try a new USB cable and different port on the receiver.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
The external HDs you guys are using, are they self powered, or USB powered?

PCHearn
Camera Crew

Self powered (plug in the wall) Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB.  Exactly what Dish recommends.

DISH Employee

Have you tried using another USB port on the Hopper? Which USB port is it currently plugged into? Are you using the same USB cable that came with the hard drive or are you using a new cable?

Ericshar
Extra
My tech did not tell me this. In fact he plugged my external I to the hopper. Now all of my shows are on the external, and I can't get them to play. I get the same spin up error as the above.