Problem after power outage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem after power outage

Musiclady
Character Actor
Yesterday there was a storm in my area that caused there to be an electric outage for about 35 minutes. When it came back on the receiver came on but all I got on the TV was white noise, etc. I have the TV set like always. When I try to turn off the receiver it will not. It has been on for about 24 hours and still it doing the same thing. I have unplugged.
I checked the batteries - they are okay. What must I do to fix this?
11 Replies

Re: Problem after power outage

Chadt41411
Casting Director
What do you mean by "white noise"?

Musiclady
Character Actor
Normally when I turn on the TV it goes to what ever station was on last and it works along with the receiver and the remote. Now all I get is a screen that is snow and lots of noise. There is nothing wrong with the TV because if I chose to use the TV with a movie that I own I can tell it to go to Input and the movie plays as always.

I need some help with this part:
" When I try to turn off the receiver it will not. It has been on for about 24 hours and still it doing the same thing. I have unplugged." so that I can watch the Dish.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
If you're getting snow, that means you are on a frequency channel. How is the receiver connected to the tv? Is it through HDMI?

hddn
Visual Engineer
Yeah, even though you say the TV is set the same way, I think after the power outage it defaulted to trying to receive from an antenna and it wasn't set that way before.

However, I'm really confused by the last part of your second post were it says you have unplugged so you can watch the Dish. Were you quoting someone else or can you watch Dish by unplugging something? When you say "the receiver" do you mean the dish network receiver or is there also an audio/video receiver in your setup?

Musiclady
Character Actor
My TV has to be on channel 3. That is okay. What do you mean by "Is it through HDMI?" The TV that I have is an older one and it's not one of the flat screen ones. No, it is not HDMI.

Musiclady
Character Actor
hddn wrote:
Yeah, even though you say the TV is set the same way, I think after the power outage it defaulted to trying to receive from an antenna and it wasn't set that way before.

However, I'm really confused by the last part of your second post were it says you have unplugged so you can watch the Dish. Were you quoting someone else or can you watch Dish by unplugging something? When you say "the receiver" do you mean the dish network receiver or is there also an audio/video receiver in your setup?

Other times when I have had an issue with the receiver not working I follow what the manual says and unplug for about 20 seconds. When I plug it back in the process of restoring begins. But, I still get a picture on the TV that shows the progress.

I have not idea how to reset the issue "I think after the power outage it defaulted to trying to receive from an antenna and it wasn't set that way before."

stile99
Cinematographer
Musiclady wrote:
My TV has to be on channel 3. That is okay. What do you mean by "Is it through HDMI?" The TV that I have is an older one and it's not one of the flat screen ones. No, it is not HDMI.

What receiver do you have? I'm deeply curious, I don't think a device has been made in the last couple decades that requires your TV to be on channel 3. I'd happily bet the rent your TV isn't on the correct input.

Musiclady
Character Actor
stile99 wrote:
Musiclady wrote:

What receiver do you have? I'm deeply curious, I don't think a device has been made in the last couple decades that requires your TV to be on channel 3. I'd happily bet the rent your TV isn't on the correct input.

VIP211

When I got the Dish it was hooked up by someone from Dish that put it in. (quite a few years ago, 2009) He connected to this TV. Yes, it had to be on channel 3. This is not a newer version TV.

Musiclady
Character Actor
Also, understand that I have not pulled any of the cables that the Dish person put on when the installation took place.