Poor Picture Quality on 4k Television using Hopper with Sling?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Picture Quality on 4k Television using Hopper with Sling?

srodar
Character Actor

I recently purchased a new Samsung 4k QLED TV to replace an older HD Sony. I was using a VIP722k with the Sony and enjoyed excellent picture quality. The HD quality on the new TV was poor in comparison. I was told that upgrading to a Hopper with Joey's was necessary for the new TV. After the upgrade the HD TV viewing is still extremely poor quality. On occasion the signal seems better and sometimes some channels are better than others. Anything viewed while streaming is crystal clear and stunning to say the least so it doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the TV. 

I have had the installers come back to check everything and they tell me the signal strength is good. Samsung has provided remote support to check all the settings for optimal viewing. I have read through support threads here and elsewhere and about all I can discern is that the Dish signal is inadeqate for HD television on newer 4K television sets.I find this hard to believe but am still stuck with a poor quality picture.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know how to get good quality HD on a 4K TV from Dish?

17 Replies

Re: Poor Picture Quality on 4k Television using Hopper with Sling?

Francorosso
Extra
My experience is that satellite compression and HDTV are incompatible. I've had FiOS and Dish and DTV over the years. I even did side by side and PIP comparisons when Dish and Fios service were both active at my home. No comparison FiOS wins hands down.

DISH Employee

Hello Srodar,

I see that you've had quite the ordeal trying to get the best quality picture on your new TV. Since it's a 4K TV, have you considered upgrading to the Hopper 3? The Hopper 3 is our only receiver that supports 4K HDR. This will provide you the best viewing experience available. 

Please send me a private message with your account number and 4-digit security code for more information. 

tommyy2
Visual Engineer

Upgrading to the Hopper for 4K content?

Exactly how many stations are offered in 4K, What are they,  what do they show, how much extra will they cost, how much compression does Dish add to them?

Is it really a good idea to get a Hopper3 for 4K content?

DISH Employee

Upgrading to the Hopper 3 for 4K content is certainly a good idea. It's our only advanced receiver able to bring in this type of broadcast. With our receiver and a 4K TV, you'll get a higher level of picture quality than HD. 

At this time, majority of our 4K content is On Demand.
Channel owners do not have specific channels that broadcast in 4K consistently. The content resolution depends on the channel owner and what they have available. 

tommyy2
Visual Engineer

So for 4K content does the Hopper3 offer any additional contant beyond what I can get on my Fire Stick 4K Ultra?

If so exacty what?

DISH Employee

tommyy2, the available 4K content will be viewable through the Netflix App and our On Demand Library. There are also some sporting events that will be available in 4K. Channel 540 is our dedicated 4K channel, with other 4K events playing regularly. To determine which sporting events will be broadcast in 4K, customers you can follow @DISHnews on Twitter.

tommyy2
Visual Engineer

So the Hopper cannot display the 4K content availablr at Amazon?

Are there any plans to add an app for it. if so when?

DISH Employee

It would not be able to display Amazon programming as we don't have any rights to their content. I have not hear of any plans but it sounds like a great idea! I will be happy to share this with our Engineering Team for consideration.

tommyy2
Visual Engineer

Jasmine, thankyou for your informative answers.

and yes please make that request.