Poor Live HD Quality on 4K TV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Live HD Quality on 4K TV

Pollux95630
Camera Crew

Just purchased a new QLED 4K TV and noticing that my HD picture quality looks significantly worse than it did on the 1080 HD TV I just replaced. Streaming content looks great, so no issues there. So I've tracked it down to the live content. In looking through the community boards it seems I am not the only one with this issue.  It appears some tried upgrading to the Hopper 3, while others had techs come out and try to troubleshoot the issue.  It looks like some still didn't have any luck correcting the issue. 

I see the Hopper 3 is a $100 upgrade fee on top of the monthly fee, but don't want to invest that money in something which may not even correct the picture quality issue (currently have a Hopper Sling). I was pleased with the picture quality of live Dish content with my previous TV, so just want to try and get that same level of picture quality with the new TV.

Has anyone out there had any success in resolving a similar issue? I've tried pretty much all the settings on both the TV and the Dish receiver with no luck. Objects up close look good, but distant objects and/or people in the background appear fuzzy and blurry.         

20 Replies

Re: Poor Live HD Quality on 4K TV

Pollux95630
Camera Crew

To add insult to injury, I spent a good 30 minutes on chat tonight with a customer service rep (won't name names, we all have bad days) who wasn't the quickest to reply, but then asked me to go unplug my receiver, wait 10 seconds, then plug back in and then to let them know what happened when it came back up. Now as anyone nows, after that 10 seconds, it takes several minutes for the receiver to start back up. A couple of minutes in I go back to the computer chat window to let the tech know I'm still waiting for it to finish startup, only to see a message that they waited for my response and got none so they were disconnecting. Smiley Sad  C'mon, if you request a customer to reset their receiver you have to give them enough time to let it restart. That's okay though...stuff happens. 

It did start back up, and still have the same issue. My local channels look the worst. The tech mentioned that being a 4K tv and that the channels aren't in 4k could be the reason. However streaming regular HD looks great, and it should at least look as good as the 1080 tv I just replaced. 

Below are links to some images of an HD channel during a news broadcast and the pixelated speckles in the text in the news banner and in the other logos. This is where it is most noticable. The text isn't solid but jagged and blocky around the ages. Same with shadowy and dark areas and people's faces when they are at a distance.  

https://woodrodgers.box.com/shared/static/cn11ieh4wlzlf268yejddnb07sy918cj.jpg

https://woodrodgers.box.com/shared/static/s7tb08h521bqkr6xomrxpisp9g02sbzj.jpg

I'm going to call tomorrow to speak to a representative and hopefully makes some headway. Last time I had issues a tech came right out to check things but no offer of that yet. 

Love my Dish since the day I got it but this is a hard to pill to swallow if unfixable. 

DISH Employee

Pollux95630, thank you for reaching out to us! I hate to hear that you had this experience with our chat agent. We want to provide our customers with the best interactions. I am wondering, did you use the existing HDMI cable that was originally connected to your previous TV or were you able to connect a high speed HDMI cable with your new 4K TV? 

Pollux95630
Camera Crew

Hi Christina,

Thanks for the response. I did use the existing high-speed HDMI cable that came with my Hopper Sling which was connected to my previous tv, and did also try using another HDMI cable I had with no luck. If I stream something on-demand from Dish, it looks fantastic, so seems like the HDMI cable is doing it's job.  

I also tried unplugging the receiver for 10 seconds and letting it reboot, adjusting and calibrated screen settings in the Dish menu, and also tried adjusting tv settings. Some channels are a lot worse than others. Channel 3 which is our local NBC affiliate KCRA seems to be the worst of all. Previously all channels were pretty uniform in HD quality and couldn't tell any difference. Not expecting anything better than what we had with the previous tv, just asking for the same quality picture as the tv I replaced.  

Please let me know if there is something else I can try to fix this issue or if maybe need a tech to come out and take a look at it. Thanks!

DISH Employee

Pollux95630m, can you tell me what the video resolution is set to? To check this, press the Home/Menu button two times, then select "Settings", then "TV". Do you see the Video Resolution set for 720p or 1080p/1080i?

Pollux95630
Camera Crew

It is currently set to the 1080p/i option. I also tried the 720p setting just to see if it made any difference. It seemed like that made lines a little sharper on on-screen text, but was still getting the distortion and little dots. The link below is another example.  

https://woodrodgers.box.com/shared/static/c28qgoh5p56d7vdrq3o9u4hbtzzjpgnv.jpg

DISH Employee

I do apologize, our system is not allow to open the link. The Hopper with Sling is an HD receiver connected to a 4K TV. The video resolution being transmitted through live TV may be different than streaming causing this issue. This box does not support 4K TV's. What I would suggest is to switch out the HDMI cable first to a high speed cable before we look into changing out the equipment. You may order an HDMI cable through our eSales page online at Mydish.com or through any electronic stores. 

Pollux95630
Camera Crew

I am hesitant to go spend money on another HDMI cable when I have already tried several I have on hand already that all seem to be working fine when connected to other devices (or the tv I replaced). When streaming content through the Dish receiver using on-demand or Netflix app, I understand that content is coming from internet connection versus the Dish signal. However that content is still arriving at the tv through the HDMI cable so am fairly certain the cable is working as it should. 

Still, I am going to try swtiching cables again this evening to see if I can get any change and will let you know.   

Pollux95630
Camera Crew

I had a really high-quality HDMI I plugged in last night and it still didn't seem to make much difference. In looking at various different channels, they are all acceptable except the local network channels. They are still the worst, with Channel 3 being the worst of all. It's watchable, but a noticable downgrade from the old tv for sure for some reason. 

Not sure there is much else that can be done to fix this issue if it is what it is.  

DISH Employee

Pollux95630, I hate to hear that the HDMI cable did not improve the look. I can take a look to see what options we have available to upgrade your Hopper with Sling to the Hopper 3. Can you please send us a Private Message with the phone number and 4 digit PIN.