Picture Quality Problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Quality Problems

tommyy2
Visual Engineer
I've read several posts about the drop in picture quality some have found when going to Dish from Direct TV. Trying to learn more about this I came across the following information in several places.

I've read that before applying compression Dish has been dropping the resolution on their 1920 x 1080 HD feeds by down-scaling them to 1440 x 1080 resolution (no longer quite HD) to save bandwidth, where DIRECTV keeps all their native 1920 x 1080 feeds at the same resolution, which requires more bandwidth, then they both compress and transmit their signals. You receive and decompress it but after decompression the Dish feed is still 1440 x 1080 so it is scaled back up to 1920 x 1080, (which sadly cannot restore any of the data that was lost when it was scaled down to 1440) and the Direct TV feed is still 1920 x 1080 with all it's original data. This may not be noticeable on all TVs but would a larger screen better quality TV show this difference? Perhaps this might explain some of the comments read here.

If anyone can add any additional information on this subject I'd appreciate it.
3 Replies

Re: Picture Quality Problems

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
I haven't seen any issues on my 120" screen however i use 720p for daily use. Last time I watched on a 1080p, it was just as good and crisper than 720p. I have two projectors, ones 1080p and a older 1080i/720p used as a daily driver where the 1080p is just for movies. It's possible that DISH maybe lowering res. Something you might ask one of the forum moderators in GREEN. Not sure if they will provide this info. Worth asking. There is definately a difference in SD vs HD channels though. :roll:

tsunami2311
Camera Crew

I think the picture quality on dish has dropped in last few months, alots channels look like sub HD at this point to me, alot channels look like the channls feed is smudged or water colored , cause quaility of feed, and as of late all channels and even the interface for hopper 3 is having the interlaced effect happen almost like every thing is being feed a in 720i/1080i

Either way Dish feed have never been true 720p let alone 1080p and 4k feed dont even come close to 4k quality it does come close to 1080p bluray quality but even that suffers from the horrid compression

Comettv has better pictures quality then most of Dish Channels feeds Dish channels is the only input my tv suffers from this  water color effect cause sub 720p/1080p feeds coupled with there horrid compression,  when I original got this Hopper 3 the image qualiity was amazing  but since then picture quality seem to be  dropped.

DISH Employee

Hello, tsunami2311. That is definitely a strange issue and I can understand why this would be frustrating. I would be happy to help find out what's causing this. I know you're said that it looks smudged, but are you noticing that screen is not fitting right? Is this happening on both your Hopper and Joey?