PTAT cutting off programming

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTAT cutting off programming

logdog
Visual Engineer
Late last night. I was watching Madam Secretary which was a PTAT recording. Half way through the show, the recording stopped. Apparently, this hour long show was scheduled to start at 10:30 and PTAT stops recording at 11:00 so I missed half of the show. I've also run into this when sporting events run long and push 10:00 pm shows out of Prime Time.

I suppose I can start setting timers on these shows just in case this happens. However, we know that timers have been very unreliable this year. A better solution would be to allow us the adjust PTAT settings so we could add an extra hour to the recordings. Any chance of this happening?
Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: PTAT cutting off programming

RickObe
Visual Engineer
My opinion: PTAT has never been reliable and often interferes with regular timers. That is why I have it turned off (mostly) and set regular timers for everything I want recorded.

The reason I say "mostly" is that if you turn PTAT totally off, you lose auto-hop. Therefore, I have PTAT enabled only for one channel, one day a week, save for 2 days (the minimum). That one day/channel is one on which I don't have any regular timers set.

That strategy has been working perfectly for me.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
The reason it was cut off is because the earlier programming ran long, even if you set a manual timer it still would have been cut short because guide only shows the normal schedule and that's what records. There's no way to allow for sports or awards etc. programming that sometimes run over the scheduled amount of time as the guide is not in real time. All you can do is set a manual timer & extend the time, but that assumes you know it will extend past what it should and most of the time you won't know it. That's why networks often have repeats scheduled after shows that might run long.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
I record the news that airs after PTAT on sports and events nights.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
I add 60 or 90 minutes late to all my timers on CBS and Fox on Sundays.

Verdesage
Character Actor
Thank you! I will try this