Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer
Somethings in the last update are really screwed up

1). The OTA tuner.

I get a message dialog EVERYTIME I turn on my Hopper, even after a reboot:

"Your Hopper3 must be restarted before scanning for OTA channels. Doing so will disrupt TV viewing and stop all recordings." There are two options, YES, and Later. However, I JUST restarted my Hopper as requested and get this message immediately. Rebooting is not helping.

2). Many many reboots.

I am also seeing a LOT of reboots lately. It seems to reboot several times a day. Don't think its an HD problem, as I am not seeing recording or playback errors typical of a bad HD.

3). USB ports and HDs: My second HD refuses to mount now. I have always been able to use 2 connected HD drives. With the latest update, only one will mount at a time.

4). Idle Timeout: If I leave the TV room for several hours, when I turn back on the monitor, I see a message titled "Are You There?" with a message saying in 20 seconds the receiver will go into standby mode. Except, it never goes into standby mode.

5). Bad recordings: The DVR is still improperly recoding (or perhaps transferring) recordings that are also part of PTAT. This happens mostly on ABC, where it is recording the next show, and not the show I selected. I would say 6 to 8 out of 10 of these are missed. This is a big problem now because the OTA is not working correctly.

I am really getting tired of this rotting software. I pay $10 now for locals, but you can't seem to record them correctly. The OTA is totally screwed up now. But thanks for improving home video. That seems to work better now. Do you guys do any testing before releasing? Seems like every new release has more bugs than the previous version.

Sorry to dump so much here, but this last update has really screwed up things. (And I read here that if I turn off my Hopper the OTAs go away on the Joey? Really? Great!)

Let me know if you need more info.
Tags (1)
29 Replies

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

RickObe
Visual Engineer
Major Havoc wrote:

What is the version of the update? (Hit the menu button twice on the remote.) What kind of Hopper do you have?

[quote:12n8880s]5). Bad recordings: The DVR is still improperly recoding (or perhaps transferring) recordings that are also part of PTAT. This happens mostly on ABC, where it is recording the next show, and not the show I selected. I would say 6 to 8 out of 10 of these are missed. This is a big problem now because the OTA is not working correctly. [/quote:12n8880s]

As a test, I would try turning PTAT off except for one day a week on one channel that you don't have any manual recordings set for. Use manual timers instead of PTAT.

[quote:12n8880s](And I read here that if I turn off my Hopper the OTAs go away on the Joey? Really? Great!)[/quote:12n8880s]

Are you saying if the Hopper is in standby the OTAs are unavailable on the Joeys? (It would make sense that they are unavailable if the Hopper is de-powered.) I'm not seeing this, but maybe I don't have this update.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer
[quote:3oiz9cno][quote:3oiz9cno]Major Havoc wrote:
[/quote:3oiz9cno]
RickObe wrote:
What is the version of the update? (Hit the menu button twice on the remote.) What kind of Hopper do you have?
[/quote:3oiz9cno]

Oops, I should have posted that. I know that. Sorry.
Hopper Software: U504 11/16/2017, 11:46 PM
Hopper3, Bootstrap 1012, Transceiver Firmware 0012

[quote:3oiz9cno]5). Bad recordings: The DVR is still improperly recoding (or perhaps transferring) recordings that are also part of PTAT. This happens mostly on ABC, where it is recording the next show, and not the show I selected. I would say 6 to 8 out of 10 of these are missed. This is a big problem now because the OTA is not working correctly.

[quote:3oiz9cno]As a test, I would try turning PTAT off except for one day a week on one channel that you don't have any manual recordings set for. Use manual timers instead of PTAT.[/quote:3oiz9cno][/quote:3oiz9cno]

Not a bad test. I can turn it off as I have timers for all my PTAT recordings. I will let you know.
[quote:3oiz9cno]

[quote:3oiz9cno](And I read here that if I turn off my Hopper the OTAs go away on the Joey? Really? Great!)[/quote:3oiz9cno]

Are you saying if the Hopper is in standby the OTAs are unavailable on the Joeys? (It would make sense that they are unavailable if the Hopper is de-powered.) I'm not seeing this, but maybe I don't have this update.[/quote:3oiz9cno]

Not fully off, but when I put the Hopper into standby, the OTA channels on the Joey disappeared. BUT, I did a restart on both units and that seems to have gone away.

I do note one thing on the OTA I did not notice before: The image is zoomed up quite a bit. For example, channel logos in the lower corner are cut in half. And the FORMAT button does nothing at all (on any OTA channel.) Do not recall OTA channels being so zoomed before.

Thanks for the reply. And again, thanks for the Home Media fix. It works almost perfect, but I'll blame the server for those errors. :-)

RickObe
Visual Engineer
I have the same software version and not seeing these issues. However, I have had PTAT set to one channel one day a week for a long time; ever since it started causing timer issues long ago. It is necessary to leave it on for the minimum to keep auto hop working.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer
RickObe wrote:

It is necessary to leave it on for the minimum to keep auto hop working.

Sorry Rick, I don't understand what that means.

Thanks.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
Major Havoc wrote:
RickObe wrote:

If you turn PTAT completely off, then you also lose the auto-hop functionality (at least it used to be that way).

The alternative is to enable PTAT, but only enable one channel on one day per week. And make that channel/day of week one that you don't have any regular timers set for.

JSracer
Audio Engineer
Major Havoc wrote:
RickObe wrote:

Sorry Rick, I don't understand what that means.

Thanks.

Ptat has to be on for auto hop to be enabled.
For example I record only fox Saturday evening only, never watch it, but it keeps auto hop working.
My other major network timers are all individual

I might try again but when I set it up, I was unable to delete recordings, space was displayed funny. Haven't tried again since last April or so,

JSracer
Audio Engineer
Hope the ota antenna works well on the hopper 3 , driving 120 miles in the morning to pick one up.
Thanks cbs and dish.

RickObe
Visual Engineer
JSracer wrote:
Hope the ota antenna works well on the hopper 3 , driving 120 miles in the morning to pick one up.
Thanks cbs and dish.

My dual tuner OTA adapter is working fine and the guide info is still being filled in for the OTA channels.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer
JSracer wrote:

Ptat has to be on for auto hop to be enabled.
For example I record only fox Saturday evening only, never watch it, but it keeps auto hop working.
My other major network timers are all individual

I might try again but when I set it up, I was unable to delete recordings, space was displayed funny. Haven't tried again since last April or so,

Thanks. I understand now. I will try that. Cheers