Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

Major Havoc
Cinematographer
RickObe wrote:
JSracer wrote:
Hope the ota antenna works well on the hopper 3 , driving 120 miles in the morning to pick one up.
Thanks cbs and dish.


My dual tuner OTA adapter is working fine and the guide info is still being filled in for the OTA channels.


Wait, there is a dual tuner version now? Where does one get that? And if it has two tuners, does it actually fill in the guide data from OTA data now? I hate it that it does nit use the turner to get data when not in use.

Looking online now.
Thanks

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

hartbow
Camera Crew
Bought my dual tuner on eBay and Dish credited my account $60.
Highlighted

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

RickObe
Visual Engineer
Major Havoc wrote:
Wait, there is a dual tuner version now? Where does one get that? And if it has two tuners, does it actually fill in the guide data from OTA data now? I hate it that it does nit use the turner to get data when not in use.


[url:8n79t4y7]https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZG9SON/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url:8n79t4y7]


The guide data is there. Not sure where it comes from. It is not always accurate or complete for the .x sub channels, but seems accurate for the main network channels.

______________________
Hopper 3 and four Joey-2s

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

hartbow
Camera Crew
Buy dual tuners all day long on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DISH-OTA-DUAL- ... Sw9~5ZSIz~

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

Major Havoc
Cinematographer
Just ordered one. Thanks.

Hartbow: Why did Dish give you $60 credit for buying it?

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

TPRIBORSA
Camera Crew
Dish admins/forum watchers: See, here is another report of OTA reception issues that I first reported months ago. The latest software did NOT fix it. When are we going to get some traction on this problem? It's been months... It is hard to convince people to switch from satellite locals to the OTA if the OTA doesn't work.

I have a suspicion that the bad reception on OTA channels has a lot to do with the nature of the broadcast signal. Some of the channels I have lots of trouble with are broadcasting a 480p signal that is "stretched". (The worst has 4 sub channels but no base channel that is also on Dish so I can't see if the base is corrupted).

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

TPRIBORSA
Camera Crew
Major Havoc wrote:
RickObe wrote:
JSracer wrote:
Hope the ota antenna works well on the hopper 3 , driving 120 miles in the morning to pick one up.
Thanks cbs and dish.


My dual tuner OTA adapter is working fine and the guide info is still being filled in for the OTA channels.


Wait, there is a dual tuner version now? Where does one get that? And if it has two tuners, does it actually fill in the guide data from OTA data now? I hate it that it does nit use the turner to get data when not in use.

Looking online now.
Thanks


Dual tuner dongles are not in stock at dish and none of my local (Vegas) subcontractors had any. I ordered mine from Amazon. They are on eBay too but I prefer Amazon since they have an excellent return policy.

I can't detect a consistent policy on guide info. Some say that if you don't have the locals that you don't get guide. Others say you do. I'm not at the point where I need to use the OTA to get the major locals instead I use it to fill the void with the OTA digi-nets like MeTV, COZI, H&I, etc. to be able to record from them. The guide info for the diginets is spotty. Sometimes it's right (MeTV) completely totally wrong (for a different channel and in some cases just 1-hour blocks of "channel", eg, "COZI" across the board. (That's better than it used to be, it used to be 300+ hours of one program making it

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

Major Havoc
Cinematographer
TPRIBORSA wrote:

I can't detect a consistent policy on guide info. Some say that if you don't have the locals that you don't get guide. Others say you do. I'm not at the point where I need to use the OTA to get the major locals instead I use it to fill the void with the OTA digi-nets like MeTV, COZI, H&I, etc. to be able to record from them. The guide info for the diginets is spotty. Sometimes it's right (MeTV) completely totally wrong (for a different channel and in some cases just 1-hour blocks of "channel", eg, "COZI" across the board. (That's better than it used to be, it used to be 300+ hours of one program making it


This drives me crazy actually. Many (not all) OTA channels transmit their guide info in a data channel on their signal. Dish used to make a device called "TV PAL" (nothing to do with the PAL TV format - stupid name) and it filled in a complete guide every time you turned it on. So why can't the OTA tuner do the same?

OK, I get that one tuner can't get a full guide if it is busy, but fill it in when its not. But now that you can have two tuners, no excuse not to fill in the guide info all the time, except maybe when both tuners are in use.

But even in that case, there is really no excuse not to at the least put in the currently playing show's info (as well as the rest of the channel's data), but even that is missing.

I actually want to drop locals, $10/month is steep when I get them all and more off the air. More than willing to give up PTAT, I hardly use it anyway, and as I have said in my other posts, it is buggy and causes timer issues. But OTA is not reliable enough, and that is a shame.

So I agree, seriously time to fix OTA stuff.

Thanks for listening.

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

zoglizard
Extra
New to the forum, but thought I would add some info. Was having the same OTA problem that has been reported. (Was reading the forums, hoping for a solution).

Dish did install an OTA last week. I have been having the exact same problem with Hopper rebooting to rescan for OTA channels. Probably happens every 15minutes. Usually, my picture pixelates then goes black if I am watching an OTA channel. The rebooting takes a while which makes the Hopper completely unusable. (since it disrupt all channels, disrupts recordings ,etc.) Guide information never really filled in for OTA channels. Tried different USB ports, checked connections, etc. No help.

However, if I hook the antenna directly to my TV, it works great. Great resolution, no pixelation, guide information (now on my TV, not on my hopper) populated in seconds. So, its not a signal issue. I have plenty of OTA signal. So, I guess I could use the OTA this way, but then its not in the same guide, and I can't DVR, so deal breaker for me.

Anyway, regarding resolution...
I talked to Dish Advanced Tech support, and they said it is a now a known issue regarding incompatibility between an OTA and the Hopper. They said the engineers are working on a solution, and hope to have it figured out in 2 weeks. I have no idea if it is a hardware or software problem (or if some software update caused it). Right now, they said the only solution was to unplug the OTA, and pay $10 for the local channels. Annoying, but my antenna was free, so doesn't really change my situation from before, except now I have a backup if another blackout occurs.

So, probably no help to anybody, but thought people would be curious to know it is a "known issue" and they are "working on it", for what that is worth.
As said at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.... "We have top men working on it right now." "Who?" "Top... men."

Re: Over-The-Air Tuner problem and other new bugs

Major Havoc
Cinematographer
Well, now that I have switched off PTAT, the shows that had the problem have no new episodes for a while.

So an answer on this may take some time.