One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

brentw
Extra

I also tried ebay and learned my lesson the hard way.  Ebay description states "Will be model #s: 213502", but received model 213293 and requested an immediate return from Seller emgoods2012 (3977 ) and 100% Positive feedback.  Figured the 100% positive feedback would be safe, but not so much.  A 100% disappointment instead. 

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

@brentw wrote:

I also tried ebay and learned my lesson the hard way.  Ebay description states "Will be model #s: 213502", but received model 213293 and requested an immediate return from Seller emgoods2012 (3977 ) and 100% Positive feedback.  Figured the 100% positive feedback would be safe, but not so much.  A 100% disappointment instead. 

If you did not get what was advertised, simply request a refund from eBay. Their eBay Money Back Guarantee covers when the item received does not match what was advertised.  Note that all the buyers I tried to buy from were not aware that what they received form the supplier was not matching the description on the package. I tend to believe this was true. 

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

@brentw wrote:

If you did not get what was advertised, simply request a refund from eBay. Their eBay Money Back Guarantee covers when the item received does not match what was advertised.  Note that all the buyers I tried to buy from were not aware that what they received form the supplier was not matching the description on the package. I tend to believe this was true. 

fromjusttheking
Camera Crew

Hello once again.

Since my last post, wherein I had problems in getting locals on my second black Dish 2 tuner dongle, things have changed again somewhat, but surprisingly, for the good. Firstly, this (my last) dongle from dish has the part number 212553 on it. At first it worked great, wherein my first one didn't. Then this (my last) dongle started to suddenly not get locals that it did before. So I started re-booting it more than once, and most but not all locals came back in. Still to this day not all of the locals I once had are completely back. It's as if when you keep re-booting the dongle and re-scanning it, it's a crapshoot as to whether you will or won't get all of what you once had before. Adding insult to injury, the dongle's "F" connector is connected to a deep fringe UHF antenna on a 40 foot tower, that has never had any problem pulling in tons of stations on its own. And with the dongle, it doesn't get all that it should and once did.

As for the new, much lower cost "white dual tuner dongle" from AirTV, I believe it is yet to be determined how good it is through multiple usage reviews. Even though some folks may have what appears to be good success with these new white dongles, only time will tell as to its longevity. All of us who have gone through using the "older" previous "black" dongles know from their experiences (excessive heat, loss of locals completely, inability to receive strong signals that it once did, etc.), many of us too had good luck at the start, and look where we are now, as evidenced with these postings we are making. I too would like to have a device that will work as it is supposed to, but failure or degradation may possibly occur at some time in the "near" future. I am not saying that it will, and don't want it to, but, if our collective experiences are any barometer of dongle "weather", then it is for those who try the newer "white" dongle, and provide thorough reports of their findings and experiences, that will benefit all of us as a whole.

None of us that have paid $60 multiple times before want to pay more again, even at a lower cost for something that may not work any better than then its previous counterparts. I too sure would like to put this subject to bed once and for all, and maybe, just maybe this is the one that will do it. Of course having the correct item number sent rather than all of the problems reported about eBay would certainly help, and maybe, hopefully this AirTV version is the one we have all been waiting for.

We can only hope.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

OK, I have ordered one of those white tuners and as soon as it arrives, I will put it into service. Sadly, I will be out of town for the following two weeks, but will set up some record tests to see how well it actually works. 

Like you, I am realy getting tired of buying these things. All in all, this will be my 4th tuner for the Hopper 3, and my 8th or so for the last three set tops from Dish. 

Sure would be nice if Dish were standing behind these devices rather than telling use we need to try a newer one. I wonder if they even test them? 

I am most likely canceling locals, and spending that same $10 on Hulu, and get my locals there. If that turns out to work well, I will add more channels there and downgrade my service here.

I am predicting that Dish will probably just stop supporting the tuners rather than try and fix the problem. Much cheaper and better business for them to just make you buy locals, even though they only carry about 10% of the channels I can get in my area. 

I remember when Dish used to stand for good service. Sadly, that seems to be no longer the case. 

fromjusttheking
Camera Crew

Thanks Major. It will be very interesting to see what difference(s) there are, if any, with the new "white" dongle. Will eagerly look forward to your findings. If very positive, I just might bite the bullet and order one myself. Thanks again.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

fromjusttheking

tyork
Camera Crew
It has been a week since Dish came out and installed a new antenna and new OTA pn 213502. Knock on wood I have not missed any recordings or had any OTA problems. I never made it a week before.

DISH Employee

Hi tyork. I'm glad to see that everything has held up for you so far! Let us know if you notice any problems and we'll see what options are available at that time

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Update:

My white OTA dual tuner arrived today. Turns out it is actually NOT a 213502, but rather a higher numbered  213648. Not sure if that means it is even newer, so we shall see.

But I have plugged it in, reboted my receiver, and the local channels I already had in my memory started coming in just fine.

Out of the box both tuners are working.

So I tested by recording two OTA channels at the same time, and that also worked fine.

I did a rescan and additional channels were discovered, so it does indeed seem to be working fine. 

I'll let you know if it keeps working a few days from now. I am going to remove the early afternoon reboot and set it back to the middle of the night as well. 

One thing I do note: This tuner seems to take longer to change channels. Not sure why, but it does seem a lot slower. 

Stand by for more info. 

fromjusttheking
Camera Crew

Major, this is what makes solving problems (sometimes, but not often) a lot easier. Folks such as yourself willing to share DETAILED info & findings of their experimentation with others. A "first responder" of sorts. Thank you. It is greatly appreciated! 😀