cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

A word of caution on ordering from ebay: 

I ordered one of the new tuners, and the seller had the right model number in the description. What I received was the older 212131.

The seller's name is cb2ham2012. He did accept a return, but now I have lost almost 2 weeks after ordering and waiting for it arrive. 

But no apology, no offer to send the right one, nothing. I would avoid this seller. 

tyork
Camera Crew

I just found this string. I have the exact problem described. I had a Hopper 3 installed when I moved about 15 months ago. I could not receive HD local off the satelitte like my old place so I had to go attenna / OTA. Everything was great until around June of this year. My wife records a lot, Intermittantly a recording misses. It's always an OTA channel and the status shows the timer started and ended but in the recording start and stop it says "not applicable". I also have the issue where I show "no signal detected" on 1 OTA tuner but the other is working. I can't say it's always tuner 2 because until this thread I did not think to check. It does typically take a hopper reset to sraighten it out.  I opened a ticket with Dish and they replaced my Hopper 3 and no fix. It does seem to me given all the common info in this thread that this problem is firmware related and began around June 2018. My dual OTA adapter that Dish provided when the setup was done is pn 213553 and sn 13809410. It is slightly warm to the touch but not hot by any means. I saw the entry 3 weeks ago about the "new" adapter pn 213502 being released and appearing to reolve. Is there any further updates on this? Since Dish monitors this community do you have any information regarding this. It is very frustrating as my wife has been recording local programs on the satelitte SD vs the OTA HD. 

DISH Employee

I hate to hear that you've been having an on going issue with the OTA, tyork. Will you please send us a Private Message with the phone number and 4 digit PIN? That way we can review the account together.

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

The Hi Robert. Nope.

This is an on going problem Dish has looked at many times, and nothing has changed. Just one of the many bugs in the Hopper 3 that make using it annoying as hell. I have talked to the office of the president about this as well.  While they claim they are looking at the issue, I was told to buy yet another newer version of the tuner, for yet another $60.  After buying three already, why is Dish not providing me one for free now since their products are bad? $240 worth of tuners is crazy for a product that has been faulty.  

I am seriously looking at alternatives.  Been a Dish customer for decades and I am finally reaching a breaking point. 

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

A word of caution on buying the 213502 tuner,.They claim to be for sale on eBay, but I have bought three and returned them all. While the person advertising shows the package reading 213502, what was in the package was not the new turner, but an older one in the wrong package. All three times, from three different suppliers. There is another slightly older 2132xx tuner showing up in these packages also.  (Do t recall the exact number.). So as of yet, I have not been able to buy one of these tuners. I believe the supplier to these sellers is mispackaging old tuners in new packages. 

But personally, I am annoyed that I have to buy a fourth tuner now because Dish screwed something up and refuses to fix it. I have already spent almost $200 on tuner modules because Dish assumes the modules were overheating. That is not the problem. 

So so use caution if buying a new tuner. You may not get what you ordered. 

jamie5714
Camera Crew

If anyones needs a cheaper source for the new dual tuner adapter you can order the AirTV dual-tuner adapter from airtv.net

It is the exact same one that dish is charging $60 for.  The only differnce is the color, its white instead of black.  It works perfect on the Hopper 3.

tyork
Camera Crew

DISH said I qualified for a new antenna and OTA tuner (the now one). A technician came out yesterday and installed them. I think its because where I'm at I can't get local HD from the satelitte. Last night everything recorded properly. Time will tell.

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@jamie5714 wrote:

If anyones needs a cheaper source for the new dual tuner adapter you can order the AirTV dual-tuner adapter from airtv.net

It is the exact same one that dish is charging $60 for.  The only differnce is the color, its white instead of black.  It works perfect on the Hopper 3.

While I appreciate your "offer" here, you will pardon me if I do not trust that this is a possible solution. After buying three tuners already for arorund $60 each, I am looking for the latest tuner release from Dish which has been reported as working. While your tuner may be "the exact same", exact same as which version? There are a number of tuner versions that have been released, I have bought three with no luck, so even though your tuner is suppsoed to be the same, I have no idea which version yours equates to. 

But thanks for letting people know you have an alternative. 

jamie5714
Camera Crew

Its the same as Dish part number 213502

I have both in my possesion and only differnce is color.

AirTV is owned by Dish.  The AirTV adapter ships from Dish.

@Major Havoc wrote:

@jamie5714 wrote:

While I appreciate your "offer" here, you will pardon me if I do not trust that this is a possible solution. After buying three tuners already for arorund $60 each, I am looking for the latest tuner release from Dish which has been reported as working. While your tuner may be "the exact same", exact same as which version? There are a number of tuner versions that have been released, I have bought three with no luck, so even though your tuner is suppsoed to be the same, I have no idea which version yours equates to. 

But thanks for letting people know you have an alternative. 

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@jamie5714 wrote:

Its the same as Dish part number 213502

I have both in my possesion and only differnce is color.

AirTV is owned by Dish.  The AirTV adapter ships from Dish.

Well, that was not clear. Probably should have said that up front!  :-)  

In that case, I will give it a try. Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. 

And your price is MUCH better than eBay. Ordering now. Cheers.