One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

fromjusttheking
Camera Crew

I decided to try a few different things before I got on the phone to raise some hell about all these OTA problems. First as recommended I rebooted the dongle by pulling out the USB connector from it. Then the H3 rebooted. Still no joy. Zero signal on the bar in the 739 message. Then went into the menu and re-scanned the dongle, and got ZERO channels found. Ha! Re-scanned again and 30 channels were found, and all had signals shown on their respective signal level bars. Some showed a "71" signal strength which had a warning that it was weak and did I want to continue adding it to the list on the guide, which I did. Most of the channels that had no signal shown before now worked, (and were on the guide before) BUT some of the channels now also did not show up at all in the re-scan. So, in a sense, I could say that this is better than it was before. So again I re-scanned again and again and got 27 and 25 channels found. But I did NOT save these re-scans, and just kept what was originally in there when all the problems began. Hopefully I stated this all in the correct sequence and accurately since I did it so many times.

However, one very odd thing happened. My wife likes to watch Johnny Carson re-runs on Antenna TV which here on the east coast is on channel 54-02, which before all of this crap happened worked just fine. Now again today we have signal as a result of the re-scan described above. So I looked on the guide for tonite to see if it was there and make sure it would record. The first 2 listings were in English, and all of the rest of the listings from that point on, like roughly 12 hours worth (and beyond) were all in Spanish all the way to Sunday nite, where I stopped looking. Everything. And where Johnny Carson's time slot is, a totally different program is shown. Will record it anyway just to see what happens. I also checked on the Antenna TV website and it clearly shows that the show is on at that time and in English (at least as far as I can tell). Will see what happens after tonite. Hope this isn't boring for all. Just kind of frustrated, but not detered from getting "justice" so to speak. BTW, my software version as of last nite is U522.

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

Thanks for that info.  Do note that on occasion,  hannels are rearranged, and can change numbers. Double check on Antenna TV for the channel number in your area to see if it changed. Also note that the main channel carrier can choose to NOT carry Antenna TV for the entire time, and swap in other channels.  Check with the main channel provider to see if they offer different programming at different times on that channel number. We have several in the Bay Area that do that.

As for the signal strength, that sounds like an antenna problem. In my area, there are a number of transmitters  that broadcast OTA signals, and I need a rotor to get them all well. You may need to move or realign your antenna to get a better signal.

fromjusttheking
Camera Crew

Latest report. Good, and, not too bad. but not perfect. The good: The specific channel I needed to "come back", 54-02 (Antenna TV) "did" come back so to speak. That is an acceptable signal level, good enough to record. The strange thing is, as I mentioned in my last post, all the channel descriptions were in Spanish, which too is strange, because Antenna TV on Dish does not provide any description of what show is will be on in any time slot. This morning, all the slots said "Antenna" (for Antenna TV), with no description whatsoever going thru the entire 7 day guide. The same way it always has been. But it is showing whatever is on at the current time, so as far as I'm concerned for this one specific channel, it seems to be working ok for the time being.

The "not too bad, but not perfect" is: That not all the OTA channels that did work before I did all the re-scanning "came back". None of the re-scans detected them period. Just plain not there. Each scan varies as to which channel it detects and/or doesn't. My 40 foot tower mounted deep fringe antenna is still pointed in the exact location it has been in for the last several months, including when everything was ok. My fear is that if I move the antenna (by rotator which shows its position on a compass rose every 5 degrees, right now it's still at 115°) and re-scan again, I might not get back 54-02 or some other one's I do want. Fortunately, most of the OTA channels that I prefer I still have or Dish is providing them. The obvious solutions would seem to be (software wise) to fix whatever the "newer" software corrupted, if that's was the cause, or provide a better, more reliable and stable solution to the existing dual channel OTA dongle Dish is selling, or some other electronic means of connecting an OTA video signal that the Hopper 3 can accept. Currently it seems that the H3's USB connections are the only place that any such type signal can be inputted. What a shame considering (as previously mentioned in my last post) my previous 722K had a big slot for an OTA module that never got hot, never had any problem with even weak OTA signals, and could re-scaned without fear of every scan varying what channels would be detected or lost. I did check with Antenna TV and they do not change that channel's programming, especially for the Johnny Carson show. It's on 7 days a week, rain or shine. So there we are for the moment.

I have other TV's in the house that are connected directly to the outside tower antenna, and they get every TV signal there is that is watchable. Too bad this dongle can't do near the same thing. Oh well.

But I really do appreciate the help given me to solve my specific problem, and am always happy to reciprocate when possible.

Thanks once again all.

mike_johnson
Extra

I just wanted to add that I have also been having this problem since getting my Hopper 3 back in June or so. Similar to others, my Dual Tuner OTA module seems to work for a while after a reboot, only to fail several hours later. It's been like this since I got the DVR so I've avoided setting up timers from OTA. My reboot time is 4 AM and the tuner works in the morning for the news, but by late afternoon, both OTA tuners seem to be non-functional. I also purchased a replacement, thinking the tuner was bad, only to have it act the same. My first one is missing the dish logo, has a date code of 4716, and is part 212553, the second has the Dish logo, a date code of 0317, ad a part number of 212131. Both get warm, but not overly hot. Both function after a reboot, but I'm not sure for how long. As of now, I've installed my old single OTA tuner from my Hopper 2 to see how it works. (Thinking that one working tuner is better than two that don't work.) It installed on the Hopper 3 without rescanning and I get all the channels I got before. TV Activity does show it as "1 of 1 OTA Tuners" I'll update how it works later. My tuner is plugged in to the USB2 jack on the back of the Hopper. My EHDD is plugged into the USB3 jack.

Has anyone else tried a single OTA tuner? 

BigB
Extra

I also are having the same problem with the dual OTA adapter. Tried two different addapters. When selecting an OTA ch most of the time it would come up with an error message saying

OTA CHANNEL SIGNAL LOSS 739

ATTEMPTING TO GET SIGNAL

signal level would be 80-100 and would say SIGNAL OKAY

the circle in the middle of the message would go around and around as if it was trying to find a signal even though it says signal level okay.

I called Dish. Explained to a CSR. She dispatched a tech. When the tech arrived he had an old first virsion single OTA addapter so we tried it and it works perfectly. The problem is it is a SINGLE tuner OTA addapter instead of a DUAL. When i upgraded to the Hopper from the VIP722, witch had a dual OTA tuner in it, I expected to have the same flexabilaty of viewing while recording a second OTA ch at the same time.

HELLO DISH ENGINEERING.......YOU HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!!! FIX IT!!!!!!

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

Just to let everyone know, I had a very long talk with Dish Engineering about this and a few other on-going problems with OTA signals last week. They are now well aware of it. Lets keep our fingers crossed that they can find the problem. 

On the single tuner, I put my old one tuner back and and it does not loose signal. This is a two tuner problem, and started with a software update that I suspect unintentionally messesd up how they handle the second tuner. 

FIngers cross people. 

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@Major Havoc wrote:

<snip>

On the single tuner, I put my old one tuner back and and it does not loose signal. This is a two tuner problem, and started with a software update that I suspect unintentionally messesd up how they handle the second tuner. 

Well, I spoke too soon. I just put the old tuner back again, did a new scan, and the first channel I tuned to came up with the signal lost (dialog 739) showing a strong, 100% signal, and the spinning circle. 

So DISH, you there? It seems to happen on the old single tuner as well. 

DISH Employee

Hi Major Havoc. Thank you for getting that additional feedback to us. Is this single tuner one that you got from DISH also?

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

I believe so. I do not recall. 

@ReyU wrote:

Hi Major Havoc. Thank you for getting that additional feedback to us. Is this single tuner one that you got from DISH also?

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

Additional info: 

I reset the Hopper 3 and did a new scan. Some channels worked again, some did not.  It seems that channels who's virtual number is different from their transmitter number are the ones that fail. I was able to get channels back on a rescan, but after some time, channels 2.x failed again, and they all have different virtual channel numbers. Not sure if this has something to do with the problem or not, but it is a clue.