One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer

I have had a dual OTA USB tuner in my Hoppe 3 for some time now. But in the last month or so, one of the two tuners refuses to lock onto a signal, then display a message that the OTA signal cannot be found. This happens manually or when tunedmby a timer, but not every time. The other tuner works fine. I noted this recently because timers for OTA tuners were recording but recording nothing, so nothing was saved. Annoying.

I just assumed my USB tuner went bad, and ordered a new one last week. I put it in the receiver and it worked great for a few days. Now, once again, one of the two tuners is not working, and displaying the message again. 

I find it hard to believe that two tuner modules malfunctioned exactly the same way. I think this is fairly new bug in the Hopper that is causing one of the two tuners to be “disconnected” now, display a black image for its channel. What channel does not matter. 

Also note that when this happens, tuning to a new channel causes the Hopper (or Joey) to immediately jump back to the bad channel, and then display the signal lost message again. 

Sounds like a bug in a recent update, or a hardware problem with my Hopper. 

Any help Dish? I just spent $50+ on a new USB tuner it seems I may not have needed. 

Thanks

21 Replies

Re: One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer

Thanks for moving to the right place Chris. Was not sure where it should go. 

bucketnugget
Character Actor

I'm experiencing the same issue.  I had an OTA dual tuner that stopped working reliably after overheating and purchased a new dual tuner (#212131) as a replacement (along with a cooling fan and voltage blocking coupler).  Both tuners work fine for some time but OTA-2 goes dead after a while.  A reset of the hopper gets the OTA dual tuner working again, but it's frustrating to find missing DVR recordings because of this issue. I was thinking of purchasing yet another tuner becuase I thought I had a defective unit, but I don't think this is the case now.

DISH Employee

Hi, Bucketnugget! Do you get an error message on the tuner when it quits working properly? When you replaced the OTA, did you get the same model of OTA, or did you change brands?  

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer
I'm sorry to hear this and then not really. It seems we have the exact same issue, and it started about the same time as well. I'm even more convinced that there is some software error in a recent update, either misreading the tuner, or causing it to overheat and fail. I note my tuner module is very warm as well, but no warmer than it was for the previous year or so when it worked just fine.

I'm curious if this may have something to do with the number of local off air channels as to why many others are not (yet) seeing this failure. I get about 80 OTA channels.

Hopper 3
Software ver: U571 5/39/2018, 2:44 AM
STATUS all checks green

Major Havoc
Audio Engineer
I'm also curious: Is it always tuner 2 that fails?

DISH Employee

Thanks for letting us know the issue is still happening for you, Major Havoc as well as software information on your receiver. 

If there are others experiencing this issue, can we get receiver models, OTA models, and software versions listed through their Diagnostics screen, that will help us get this reported to our Engineers

bucketnugget
Character Actor

The only way I can tell that second tuner is not working is if the first tuner is in use (on either the Hopper or a Joey) and I try to tune to an OTA channel and it tells me that the signal is lost.  I've been watching an OTA channel on the Hopper and used the PIP feature to tune to another OTA channel, which has also given me the same result (OTA tuner #1 works but tuner #2 says that the signal is lost).  Both tuners begin to work again after the Hopper is reset.

The first OTA tuner that I was given (by a Dish Network technician out of Lansing, Michigan) did not have the Dish Network logo printed on it.  The second OTA tuner (purchased from Amazon) does have the logo printed on it.  I do not know the model number of the first tuner, and I only know the model number of the second tuner because of the description on Amazon.

Thank you for your assistance!

bucketnugget
Character Actor

Yes it is *always* tuner #2 that fails -- according to the information displayed on the Hopper.

bucketnugget
Character Actor

I will post this information as well when I get home from work.