One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

FarmerBob
Camera Crew

MH, no problem, no offence taken or even considered. How were you to know?!

If I had of known of their handling of these units, I would not have had them exchange two single OTA adapters. I have two H3's. Although, one did out and out fail. I'll fight on. The heat that this is generating is just plain wrong and needs to be addressed. I so agree with you that DISH needs to own this!! What else are or have they shirked on?!

When the "transition" was being planned and in process there were a lot of mistakes made and a lot of "allowances" which the Big 3 Shift was. I was Ranching (and developing Cellular) in NM during most of this, so I was out of the loop on a good portion. It was only when I returned to the land of technology did I see what was happening. I'm glad to see that it is coming back to bite them in the "signals". I think about the "Must Carry Rules" also every time I read something about how DISH is changing things. A lot has happened with Ajit, Michael and before them that is not in the best interest of the industry and/or the consumer. And it has and will not stop . . . .

My neighbors went nutz with the Costco Superbowl TV specials and I have installed 5 TV's in the last week. Several of them are set and fine with using the widgets and ancillary services that are on the TV's and OTA with nothing else. I'm starting to see the wisdom of it after all these years of the convenience of a DVR. Enter NAS's. But unfortunately even PLEX is looking to go to subscription pricing. Two of the installs I used the two flat UHF antennas that DISH thought they were installing with the truck roll when it was replacing one OTA module. The Tech left them cuz they were basically mine as of the creation of the flawed work order. Saved me time running antennas.

Oh well . . . .

Highlighted

Mark609
Camera Crew

DISH is probably not too concerned about OTA adapter issues since they charge $12/mo. for the locals which is a very strong revenue stream for them if you mulitply it by 100'000's of customers.

BUT, DISH also owns AirTV whose primary technology (in addition to Sling) is a system that supports local OTA channels via their adapter. 

I would think all the cable and Sat systems are a little edgey now with the trendy "cut the cable" drills and impending 5G systems coming soon. 

China is the forerunner in 5G.   DISH supposedly is working on a 5G infrastructure come 2020....but I digress.

FarmerBob
Camera Crew

@Mark609 wrote:

. . . BUT, DISH also owns AirTV whose primary technology (in addition to Sling) is a system that supports local OTA channels via their adapter . . .

Therefore, they should have no problems with having a working OTA adatper out there. Unless they are trying to force a new and "another" revenue stream? . . . and poor quality hardware that can cause fires is no way to do it.

The 5G thing, I'm very curious as to what he'll do with it. He's got until mid-March to meet FCC milestones in order to keep the frequencies and not have them taken back and lose billions of our money.

I have a great rooftop UHF/VHF antenna and booster combo that gives me constant perfect reception on all my local channels when connected directly to my TV. When I first plugged the USB OTA dual tuner into my Hopper 3, restarted the Hopper 3, connected the coax to the dual tuner and did a scan, all was well. A few hours later, the **bleep** thing got flakey and was unable to tune some of the channels. So I switched back to my old USB OTA SINGLE tuner, and then everything was perfect and 100% reliable. All that was one year ago. Does anybody know if all the bad dual USB OTA dual tuners are out of the supply chain by now? If so, then I might buy another one, because I really want two OTA tuners for my Hopper 3.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Yes, and no. Most of the ones still being sold that claim to be the latest are not. I bought and returned 3 of them on eBay. Even the sellers were surprised. Two that I received had the newest model number on the package but upon opening it, it was a few versions back. Not sure who to blame for this. The seller sent me images of the boxes they came in, also claiming the latest. Seems some distributor out there is screwing not only customers, but the sellers of the product too. 

However, I bought for about half the price of the eBay one a dual tuners for AirTV. It is the same device, but the latest same device, and at $29.99 plus tax and it has worked fine ever since. I am not sure it gets all the same channels as my original single tuner (I also have a roof mounted good antenna) but so far, it has worked without dropping one of the two channels. 

Go here: https://www.airtv.net/products/ and scroll down to the Dual Tuner adapter.

Mark609
Camera Crew

DishDepot pulled that bait and switch on me.  We have been in a tug of war regarding the refund I seek with my credit card company.   He advertised (that was then, it's been changed now) on his website the 213502 and but mailed me an older version saying it was "the latest and the customer is being unreasonable".   I have been in a dispute with the owner now for 2 mos.  It's not the money that I care about, it's the cheese I won't stand for.

Am using the dual tuner from AirTV and it's fine.  Latest model that DISH techs are installing too, the 213648 or least it was on November 11, 2018.

FarmerBob
Camera Crew

@Mark609 wrote:

DishDepot pulled that bait and switch on me. . . . I have been in a dispute with the owner now for 2 mos.  It's not the money that I care about, it's the cheese I won't stand for. . . .

I'm glad I didn't do business with DishDepot. I called to buy a second Hopper3 and the guy wouldn't sell me one. So I went to SolidSignal and they have been great. A week after getting it installed, it made a strange noise that I called and asked if I should be concerned about? They sent me a new box and migration instructions.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

@Mark609 wrote:

DishDepot pulled that bait and switch on me.  We have been in a tug of war regarding the refund I seek with my credit card company.   He advertised (that was then, it's been changed now) on his website the 213502 and but mailed me an older version saying it was "the latest and the customer is being unreasonable".   I have been in a dispute with the owner now for 2 mos.  It's not the money that I care about, it's the cheese I won't stand for.

------------------------------------------------

(And why does this crappy forum with horrible editing controls insist that my comment below is part of the quote, and offer no way to fix it.)

I cant speak to DishDepot for being sleezy, but in talking to two other distributors they both told me that what was invoiced, what was on the shipping box, and on the packaging was all wrong. This points to the manufacturer pulling a dump of older technology onto distributors.  That said, the company who sold it to you should stand behind their sale. That is where Dish Depot has failed. (But I’m willing to bet they can’t return them either so are passing their pain on to consumers, which is indeed sleezy.). The two I bought from eBay and successfully returned were at first unaware of the issue. They both sent me photos of the case of tuners and invoices claiming they were getting a different model. At least they stood behind their sale, but that might be because eBay has a policy against errors in listing and requires returns when the description is wrong.

If you ordered one thing and got something different,  your credit card company should stand behind you if what you got was not what you ordered.  I don’t understand why they won’t. Maybe time for a different card company?

On that note, I always screen shot my online orders and keep it until I’m sure I got what I ordered. Has helped me greatly over that last few years. 

Mark609
Camera Crew

Good info and advice.  I sent the dispute rep lots of photos, links, etc.  Years ago I got smart and if there was an inkling of future problems with a reseller or product I learned to document everything.

Having said that, last night I was trying to switch to another OTA channel while my wife had set the recorder for another.  I got a message on the Hopper 3 something of "OTA1 watching" and "OTA2 watching and recording in the bedroom".  When I tried to another OTA channel it stopped the recording which is our normal, daily 6:00 news.

Suggests the dual channel is not working as it should be.  Wife will play with this feature today.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

@Mark609 wrote:

Good info and advice.  I sent the dispute rep lots of photos, links, etc.  Years ago I got smart and if there was an inkling of future problems with a reseller or product I learned to document everything.

Having said that, last night I was trying to switch to another OTA channel while my wife had set the recorder for another.  I got a message on the Hopper 3 something of "OTA1 watching" and "OTA2 watching and recording in the bedroom".  When I tried to another OTA channel it stopped the recording which is our normal, daily 6:00 news.

Thanks.

I am surprised at the results of that series of events. You should have been given options on what was avaialble. Both tuners in use, it would normally take the local one after a warning. 

I just tried this. I started the bedroom recording on 002-04, an OTA channels carying Buzzr.

In the Living room, I was on the same channel, 002-04.

The TV Activity screen showed

1. OTA1    Buzzr   9mins     Watchnig                          Living Room
  2. OTA2   Buzzr   9mins    Watching & Recording    Bedroom

Then I used the guide to switch the Living Room to 007-03, LAFF, showing the TheDrew Carey Show

The TV Activity screen then showed

1. OTA1    The Drew Carey Show    9 mins     Watchnig                          Living Room
  2. OTA2   Buzzr                                13 mins    Watching & Recording     Bedroom

Recording did not stop.  So I tried one more thing. I started the Living Room recording as well.

The TV Activity screen then showed

1. OTA1    The Drew Carey Show    9 mins    Watching & Recording     Living Room
  2. OTA2   Buzzr                                13 mins    Recording                         Bedroom

Then I changed the living room channel. 

It immediately took me to the TV Activty screen, and the background when black. But it did not stop either recording.

Not sure why you had the problems. I tried it about 5 different ways, and it always took me to the activity screen.