One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

FarmerBob
Camera Crew

So I thought I could let the 212553 thing lie, but since our local NBC affiliate was finally forced to move to UHF, we had to rescan. And in doing so I lost several channels that I had and the local CBS just will not come in. Before or now still. Now the antenna is the same one feeding the TV directly and it gets 65 channels and the 212553 gets only 43 and missing several ones ya watch.

It was suggested that since DISH had no inventory to exchange, that I check with a retailer. I did with several and they all said the same: "They can't get the new ones and if they could they couldn't do an exchange due to the way that "the DISH Parts System" is set up. My favorite retailer, being facetious, said no exchanges on anything even if they could.

And I was under the impression that the Service Programs that I have had since the day they first had them, covered this stuff like they use to. Nope.

Highlighted

Mark609
Camera Crew

Am using the latest DISH dual adapter from AirTV with no problems.  Cheap too.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

KarolenaP, thank you for the clarification.  I have a Hopper 3 already, so I’m good there. 

For me it it has been having to buy 4 tuners, newer each time to finally get one that works. My original dual  turner worked fine until some software update broke it. I was told to upgrade my OTA tuner. I did. No fix. Told to upgrade again. No fix. This final tuner seems to be working out now, but I strongly object to the total cost I had to spend to fix a problem Dish caused in a software upgrade.

I was hoping there was some relief for those of us who bought multiple tuners.

Thank you

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

KarolenaP, thank you for the clarification.  I have a Hopper 3 already, so I’m good there. 

For me it has been having to buy 4 tuners, newer each time to finally get one that works. My original dual  turner worked fine until some software update broke it. I was told to upgrade my OTA tuner. I did. No fix. Told to upgrade again. No fix. This final tuner seems to be working out now, but I strongly object to the total cost I had to spend to fix a problem Dish caused in a software upgrade.

I was hoping there was some relief for those of us who bought multiple tuners.

Thank you

FarmerBob
Camera Crew

@Major Havoc wrote: . . . For me it has been having to buy 4 tuners . . .

What I feel is that I bought the ones I have, that are now considered defective, before I got the H3 to be set and ready and they are paid for. Money spent on a product that I was led to believe was solid and if not would be covered one way or another . . . Now since the product is known to be defective, why should I have to spend more money to get one, that I should have already had, that "may" work? 

This sounds just like Apple. "Sorry you paid a billion dollars for a phone that if you hold it wrong, 'AND IT IS YOU THAT IS HOLDING IT WRONG!', doesn't work." "BUT you "can buy" this silly silicon slip case that will help you hold it better and make it work." "Maybe." "OR just buy a new phone next year, it may no have that problem . . .

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

FarmerBob: this is not as unusual as you might think . HD signals are subject to all kinds of interference and fade. Best reception is at night, so try adding your channels again a few hours after sundown. Also note that channels do move around from time to time as they all settle in, and nifty two channels are too close in frequency, they might interfere as well.  

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

FarmerBob: this is not as unusual as you might think . HD signals are subject to all kinds of interference and fade. Best reception is at night, so try adding your channels again a few hours after sundown. Also note that channels do move around from time to time as they Add and change spectrum, and if two channels are too close in frequency, they might interfere as well.  

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

> Am using the latest DISH dual adapter from AirTV with no problems.  Cheap too.

As am I, and it seems to be working great as well.  

FarmerBob
Camera Crew

@Major Havoc wrote:

FarmerBob: this is not as unusual as you might think . HD signals are subject to all kinds of interference and fade. Best reception is at night, so try adding your channels again a few hours after sundown. Also note that channels do move around from time to time as they Add and change spectrum, and if two channels are too close in frequency, they might interfere as well.  

MH, Thank You for the info, but having been invovled in the Telco/Radio/TV/Aerospace (Hughes) and DISH, I am aware of what you are saying. Althought that is not the case here. The bad channel was not a problem with the single tuner OTA adapter and is the local CBS arm of the local Big 4 where proximity interference has never been an issue. Plus this thing is "HOT", really hot. That's not good. That's poor design and I am not the only with issues . . .

The latest station moves are from the Network Shift Scam of the mid-1990's when, in Denver, everything shifted to the right one step. Denver 9 and 7 were able to stay in the HVHF band so the stations or networks didn't have to shell out $$ to go to UHF. Well as I prophesied and we've seen as time has gone on and technology has evolved to leave the HVHF band behind these stations country wide are having to move to UHF, so much for savin' the big bucks, since TV tuners are not bringing them in. Before the HD implementation I was working with AntennasDirect on their now commonly known CS series antennas that are UHF. I found and said that they would not pull in HVHF although many manufacturers skirted the issue by not mentioning it. They denied it, but now they have VHF Dipoles on their antennas and add on kits. So . . .

My issues are the openly criticized Gen 1 version of this OTA adapter.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Fair enough. I did not know your level of expertise. I was a member of the ATSC Standards Committee (and one of the few who thought 8VSB was the biggest mistke ever!) and do find people here that do not understand signal issues. Sorry, did not mean to insult, but can't hurt if others read this as well. 

I actually agree with you, the latest tuner is NOT as sensitive as my single OTA tuner was, and I do have issues with some margin signals with this latest dual tuner. I have a rotor on my antena and can compensate for lower side channels, but having to move the antenna all the time is a pain. (I remember an old TV from Zenith that would rotate your antenna when you changed channels.)

Anyway, as far as I am concerned this is a VERY UNSUPPORTED PRODUCT from Dish. When it breaks, (notice I did not say IF) they will not warranty repair it even if only a few days old. Your only solution is to buy another. That alone sucks.  But seriously, when something  was working great (OTA on a Hopper 3) and then a software update comes along and breaks that something (OTA on a Hopper 3) and I have to spend about $200 on tuners to TRY and fix it, I get a lot pissed. 

DISH, you need to own this problem, not throw it under the rug. For those of us who want local OTA channels because you do not carry them all (what ever happened to the Must Carry Rules anyway?), we need a local tuner. You need to find that bug and fix it.