One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: One tuner of dual OTA adapter keeps going “dead.”

bucketnugget
Character Actor

I set my Hopper to restart between 4p-5p everyday so that prime time programs could get recorded without tuner interruption.  Some of the recorded programs overlap, so both tuners are necessary.  Previously, I had the Hopper restarting between 3a-4a.  When the Hopper started this early in the morning, tuner #2 would be horribly "glitchy" by the time some of the programs would start recording (as stated in my previous posts).

Now, instead of having tuner #2 malfunctioning in the evening, it is malfunctioning around morning/mid-morning.  I'm normally at work during this time so it doesn't bother me too much.  While this is not the best solution, it seems to be working well enough.  I wish the OTA adapter worked 100% of the time though.

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@bucketnugget wrote:

I set my Hopper to restart between 4p-5p everyday so that prime time programs could get recorded without tuner interruption.  <snip>

Now, instead of having tuner #2 malfunctioning in the evening, it is malfunctioning around morning/mid-morning.  I'm normally at work during this time so it doesn't bother me too much.  While this is not the best solution, it seems to be working well enough.  I wish the OTA adapter worked 100% of the time though.

Thanks Bucketnugget. That is an excellent idea for a workaround. I will do that for now, but agree, it would be great if it would work correctly so this kind of thing was not necessary. 

TunerHD
Extra

I get this also... Got mine in June 2018.

I am using Hopper3.

I think the issue is due to the heat it generates. Never had a device get this hot.

My hopper has the lastest update.

OTA MT2 Adapter was purchased from DISH via the installer.

Are there different Adapters that work with the Hopper3 and do not get HOT ?

Also, the turner on my TV works better than the DISH OTA tuner. 

Any update from Engineering?

or will DISH be able to provide HDlocals with the same satellite as DTV ? 

SD locals are not a viable service.

DISH Employee

Hello, TunerHD. I hate to hear that you're having issue with your OTA adapter. I would be happy to look into this with you to see what can be done. There is a standard adapter that we do us with the Hopper 3 called OTA USB Dual Tuner Adapter. Is this what you're currently using? 

Major Havoc
Cinematographer
ONG Dish? How about you read the topic and thread of the post before claiming to "help." This person has the same problem as the rest of us, and YOU can't help unless you can get the engineering teams to actually look at and fix the problem introduced in a previously released update that broke the dial OTA tuners from working correctly. PLEASE READ THE THREAD AND UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE RESPONDING TO BEFORE ANSWERING.

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@TunerHD wrote:

I get this also... Got mine in June 2018.

I am using Hopper3.

I think the issue is due to the heat it generates. Never had a device get this hot.

My hopper has the lastest update.

OTA MT2 Adapter was purchased from DISH via the installer.

Are there different Adapters that work with the Hopper3 and do not get HOT ?

Also, the turner on my TV works better than the DISH OTA tuner. 

Any update from Engineering?

or will DISH be able to provide HDlocals with the same satellite as DTV ? 

SD locals are not a viable service.

Well, I have purchased three of them now, and they all exhibit the EXACT same failure. I even put a fan on the device to keep it cool. No change. 

This issue started after a software update. Until then, it worked flawlessly (well, almost flawlessly) and did not have this problem. Something in an update broke this software, and sadly, the engineering team either can't find it, or have labled this a low prioirty fix since so few of us have these tuners. 

fromjusttheking
Camera Crew

Hi guys, I'm new to this group. Unfortunately (for me, as well as the rest of us) I'm all too aware of this problem. I bought the Dish dongle early last year, and it ultimately gave up the ghost. Got so hot you could hardly touch it. Last August I got the Hopper 3, and since the earlier dongle died, I took the chance on buying another one, the Dish OTA USB Dual Tuner Adapter, and wallah! It worked. That is, until just recently. It likely stopped working when a new software update was installed, but I hadn't noticed it until I went some OTA channels that I thought had recorded. Now when I go to a channel that had no problem receiving, all I get is the OTA Channel Signal Lost message (#739). Attempting to get signal message on it, but of course, no signal. BTW, my antenna is a deep fringe, Winegard antenna on a 40 foot tower with a rotator. So I know for absolute fact that these stations are out there and working just fine. Oh, this second dongle also gets nice and hot too.

Before I had a VIP-722K and it worked great on out the outside antenna. Except, that the RG-6 cable connected directly to a physical OTA module that fit into a slot in the back of the receiver. Now of course, the Hopper 3 has no such means of connecting an outside antenna other than using a USB connection from the OTA dongle. I'm really pissed! $120 for 2 dongles that crap out in less than a year is unacceptable. So, like the rest of you, I too am looking for a solution that will either work with a dongle that will not die on you or, some other way to get an OTA signal into the Hopper 3.

What say you all? It seems that so far, there doesn't seem to be any solution on the horizon, near or far. I will be eagerly watching this site for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@fromjusttheking wrote:

... That is, until just recently. It likely stopped working when a new software update was installed, but I hadn't noticed it until I went some OTA channels that I thought had recorded. Now when I go to a channel that had no problem receiving, all I get is the OTA Channel Signal Lost message (#739). Attempting to get signal message on it,

What say you all? It seems that so far, there doesn't seem to be any solution on the horizon, near or far. I will be eagerly watching this site for suggestions.

I wish I could post an image. When that dialog pops up that the signal is lost, right there in the dialog is says Signal Strength 100 and shows a solid green bar. The other tuner receives the same channel just fine. So this is obviously software. 

As for a temporary solution, it has been noted that it works for some time after rebooting the set top. So now, I have my set top reboot around 6 PM, which keeps it (mostly) running correctly through prime time and a little beyond, so most of my recordings suceed now. I say MOST because it still fails at times. 

fromjusttheking
Camera Crew

Now that you mention it, every time that I get that message, my signal strength bar always shows NOTHING! NO BAR AT ALL. NO SIGNAL. I actually think that my dongle may have gone totally dead. Speaking of the "two" tuners, would I be correct in saying that unless one were to record 2 OTA channels at the same time, if one tuner was not recording, and the other was recording, then it would be fair to say that one tuner is "dead". My problem is that I think that BOTH tuners are dead as I get neither OTA channel recorded when recording is set for 2 different OTA channels at the same time. For example, 20-1  and 20-2 won't record at all now. Might be worth trying 2 "different" channels like 20-1 and 54-1 for example, which I still think won't record as now I can't even get those and other channels just to watch without recording. Just that damnable #739 Lost OTA Signal message. UGH!

Methinks that I need to call Dish and talk to them. I've been with them over 20 years, and they have treated me right, but enough is enough. If and when I get some direction or results, I will be happy to inform you all about transpired. I'm a man on a mission, and I have an idea or two just how to handle this debacle. Wish me luck!

Highlighted

Major Havoc
Cinematographer

@fromjusttheking wrote:

Now that you mention it, every time that I get that message, my signal strength bar always shows NOTHING! NO BAR AT ALL. NO SIGNAL. I actually think that my dongle may have gone totally dead. Speaking of the "two" tuners, would I be correct in saying that unless one were to record 2 OTA channels at the same time, if one tuner was not recording, and the other was recording, then it would be fair to say that one tuner is "dead". My problem is that I think that BOTH tuners are dead as I get neither OTA channel recorded when recording is set for 2 different OTA channels at the same time. For example, 20-1  and 20-2 won't record at all now. Might be worth trying 2 "different" channels like 20-1 and 54-1 for example, which I still think won't record as now I can't even get those and other channels just to watch without recording. Just that damnable #739 Lost OTA Signal message. UGH!

Methinks that I need to call Dish and talk to them. I've been with them over 20 years, and they have treated me right, but enough is enough. If and when I get some direction or results, I will be happy to inform you all about transpired. I'm a man on a mission, and I have an idea or two just how to handle this debacle. Wish me luck!

So I have talked to a number of levels of the company about this problem. It is unlikely that the tuner is bad as more and more are seeing this problem. As I said, I have three turners, and they all exhibit that same behavior after being turned on for 4 to 5 hours. Note that a reboot, NOT turning them off to cool down, causes them to work properly again for some time. 

This behavior started after a software update that broke something. 

Correction: This last failure, the bar was black with zero signal even though the first tuner was sucessfully displaying a show on a second TV so the device was partially working. There is a problem if you only have one TV to get it to switch tuners. 

On the recording issue, this is a seperate problem. If you are watching a OTA channle and press RECORD, it used to inidcate that it was recording and do nothing. Now it pops up a manual timer, and then does not start recording. But this is a a whole different problem.