On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

iamthegame86
Extra
Last week, I upgraded my Internet package (Mediacom), and they sent a new modem/router, I installed it, everything is working perfectly on all of my devices except my DISH. When I tried to watch anything On Demand, I would get a "server connection error" and won't even pull anything up. I went into the settings, changed it to my new WIFI password, and the diagnostics shows a great connection with a usual 90-99 signal strength. I called tech support, she had me reset and unplug each Hopper and Joey in the house, still nothing. She seemed to think it's my Internet connection that is the problem, but I'm having zero issues with all of the other devices in my house (multiple phones, laptop, iPad, desktop, XBOX, etc.) Seems that I'd be having multiple issues if it were my actual Internet connection. She even said she could see that all of my DISH devices were good and connected. Any ideas anyone??
10 Replies

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
I had a similar problem with an Arris modem I got to replace my rented Motorola, 100Mbps everything else ran fine but Hopper threw up. Went back to the original Motorola modem and it ran fine, presently using a Zoom modem everything including Hopper still works fine.
I don't understand it ran speedtest.net and got over 100Mbps with that Arris but Hopper would not even play one on demand show, luckily I still had the Motorola to fall back to.

Don't know if this applies but....

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
What is the Mfr and model of the ISP Modem and router?
What ISP speeds UP and Down do you pay for?
Best and recommended to get the best performance between Hopper and Modem/Router is to use CAT6 LAN cable between the Hopper and Modem/Router.

I use this between Hopper and Joeys and Hopper is directly connected to router.

iamthegame86 wrote:
Last week, I upgraded my Internet package (Mediacom), and they sent a new modem/router, I installed it, everything is working perfectly on all of my devices except my DISH. When I tried to watch anything On Demand, I would get a "server connection error" and won't even pull anything up. I went into the settings, changed it to my new WIFI password, and the diagnostics shows a great connection with a usual 90-99 signal strength. I called tech support, she had me reset and unplug each Hopper and Joey in the house, still nothing. She seemed to think it's my Internet connection that is the problem, but I'm having zero issues with all of the other devices in my house (multiple phones, laptop, iPad, desktop, XBOX, etc.) Seems that I'd be having multiple issues if it were my actual Internet connection. She even said she could see that all of my DISH devices were good and connected. Any ideas anyone??

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

iamthegame86
Extra
I'm wondering if that's not my issue. I had a Cisco modem and Linksys router before, but then I upgraded my package (speed and limit), and they sent me a new modem/router. I had no problems before, but I'm getting better down/up speeds with this new modem. I'm getting 80-100 maps down with this whereas I was getting 60-ish before.


tommyy2 wrote:
I had a similar problem with an Arris modem I got to replace my rented Motorola, 100Mbps everything else ran fine but Hopper threw up. Went back to the original Motorola modem and it ran fine, presently using a Zoom modem everything including Hopper still works fine.
I don't understand it ran speedtest.net and got over 100Mbps with that Arris but Hopper would not even play one on demand show, luckily I still had the Motorola to fall back to.

Don't know if this applies but....

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

tommyy2
Audio Engineer
iamthegame86 wrote:
I'm wondering if that's not my issue. I had a Cisco modem and Linksys router before, but then I upgraded my package (speed and limit), and they sent me a new modem/router. I had no problems before, but I'm getting better down/up speeds with this new modem. I'm getting 80-100 maps down with this whereas I was getting 60-ish before.


tommyy2 wrote:
I had a similar problem with an Arris modem I got to replace my rented Motorola, 100Mbps everything else ran fine but Hopper threw up. Went back to the original Motorola modem and it ran fine, presently using a Zoom modem everything including Hopper still works fine.
I don't understand it ran speedtest.net and got over 100Mbps with that Arris but Hopper would not even play one on demand show, luckily I still had the Motorola to fall back to.

Don't know if this applies but....



In your shoes I'd try buying another modem @ a retailer that accepts returns, perhaps also a cat 5e cable long enough to reach between modem and hopper (don't think this is it but "cover the base", first run the cable test if it's still no good replace modem call your ISP have them configure the new modem, they will ask for the mac address (written on the modem). Verify it works with your PC then test again. If the new modem works check if the ISP is charging you per month for their modem, also check online cost to purchase one same as the one you just bought. If ISP modem is no extra charge call them up tell them your problem what you did to fix it, let them supply a modem that works and return everything, if they are charging you, save a few bucks and use your own modem whather the one you got locally of the online purchase.

fyi
The modem that would not work for me was an Arris SB 6183 with 16 download / 4 upload channels, rated @ 686Mbps down, I really do not know if the modem was defective or just some design incompatibility with the Hopper with sling, Arris provided ZERO help on the problem.

The ones that work for me are ZOOM 5345, and Motorola SB6180 both 8 down / 4 up channels, both rated over 300Mbps.

Let us know how it works out for you.

p/s if this is post too long for you it is your own fault for you should never have let me begin

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
My Hopper 3 is currently connected to a SB 6183/100&3. Had been connected to a SB 6180 and 6121 before that. Hopper has been working well for me with these model modems. Still need to check on recent Netflix issue seen last night though. :?

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

bajump
Extra
I have a Hopper 3 connected via Cat5e to my router. I had no problems watching On Demand content with my Zoom 5341j modem. I recently upgraded modems to a Arris Surfboard SB6190 to take advantage of increased speed/channels, and now On Demand does not work. I'm getting about 200mbps down and 23mbps up. Internet connectivity is working perfectly on all of my other devices I've tried. I don't have any problems using the Netflix app on the H3. It's only On Demand. I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere I'm missing that will get On Demand up and running for me. Is anyone running an SB6190 and successfully operating On Demand content on the H3?

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

Occheermommy
Camera Crew
I am not sure what port the on demand would run thru but it could be a port blocking issue. Call the manufacturer of the modem and ask them if there could be a port blocked that is causing the issue. They should be able to run diagnostics to see what port is accessed when u try and use on demand and see if that is the issue. Otherwise I would go with the suggestion of buying your own hardware.

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
These links are to DSLreports information regarding Intel's problem with there Puma 6 chip set seen in various Mfr cable modems:
Initial:
dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake and
dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion and dslreports.com/forum/r31340594-ALL-SB6190-and-CM700-latency-fix-firmware-ready-to-test

Recent problem found: 4/25/2017
dslreports.com/forum/r31377755-

Most cable modems with Intel's Puma 6 chip sets are effected. Users may want to contact there modem Mfrs if they are having problems with effected modems. This only effects cable modems with the Intel Puma 6 chip set. You can test your modem here: dslreports.com/tools/puma6

bajump wrote:
I have a Hopper 3 connected via Cat5e to my router. I had no problems watching On Demand content with my Zoom 5341j modem. I recently upgraded modems to a Arris Surfboard SB6190 to take advantage of increased speed/channels, and now On Demand does not work. I'm getting about 200mbps down and 23mbps up. Internet connectivity is working perfectly on all of my other devices I've tried. I don't have any problems using the Netflix app on the H3. It's only On Demand. I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere I'm missing that will get On Demand up and running for me. Is anyone running an SB6190 and successfully operating On Demand content on the H3?

Re: On Demand gives server error but connection is great??

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Any progress on this?

bajump wrote:
I have a Hopper 3 connected via Cat5e to my router. I had no problems watching On Demand content with my Zoom 5341j modem. I recently upgraded modems to a Arris Surfboard SB6190 to take advantage of increased speed/channels, and now On Demand does not work. I'm getting about 200mbps down and 23mbps up. Internet connectivity is working perfectly on all of my other devices I've tried. I don't have any problems using the Netflix app on the H3. It's only On Demand. I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere I'm missing that will get On Demand up and running for me. Is anyone running an SB6190 and successfully operating On Demand content on the H3?