OTA with 722K recording?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA with 722K recording?

tommc
Character Actor
Just received the replacement 772K. Old one would record tv 1& 2 using the OTA and record tv 1 & 2 using a Dish channel, all at the same time. I could record 4 different shows at once. New 77K will let me only record 1 show on tv 1, either OTA or dish and 1 show on tv 2, either OTA or Dish. Is there a setting to change so I can record 4 shows?

Thanks, Tom
Tags (3)
12 Replies

Re: OTA with 722K recording?

The OTA for the 722k, even though the channels are available on TV1 and TV2, has always had just 1 tuner for OTA. You can only record 3 things, 2 sat and 1 OTA
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

hddn
Visual Engineer

Hmm. I THOUGHT the 722 had one built-in OTA tuner, and the 722K had an optional module with 2 OTA tuners?

hddn wrote:
Hmm. I THOUGHT the 722 had one built-in OTA tuner, and the 722K had an optional module with 2 OTA tuners?

It is not 2 separate tuners but they can be viewed on TV1 and TV2. Regular 722 can only view them at TV1

---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

hddn
Visual Engineer
I must admit that I never had the 722K OTA module myself, but there are many threads on the internet where people claim they can record 2 OTA programs and 2 Sat programs at the same time - 4 programs total.

There's a module on ebay right now that says it adds two digital OTA tuners.

But again, I've never had one myself so maybe I'm misunderstanding.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Reading Tom's post again, I'm a bit confused, because it sounds like he's saying he COULD set up an OTA recording on TV1 and TV2, but he just can't schedule more than 2 things regardless?? Which doesn't sound normal to me at all - even a 722 should record 3, right?

Tom, are you familiar with the differences between dual mode and single mode? I think maybe the original was in single mode and the new one is in dual mode and that is causing confusion.

tommc
Character Actor
hddn wrote:
Reading Tom's post again, I'm a bit confused, because it sounds like he's saying he COULD set up an OTA recording on TV1 and TV2, but he just can't schedule more than 2 things regardless?? Which doesn't sound normal to me at all - even a 722 should record 3, right?

Tom, are you familiar with the differences between dual mode and single mode? I think maybe the original was in single mode and the new one is in dual mode and that is causing confusion.

I always use dual mode.

Old 722K could record 2 different shows on the OTA and 2 different Dish shows all at the same time. 4 different channels recording at once. Either manual or recordings set up in the schedule.

Dish tech says my old DVR must have been made incorrectly as the 722K should only record 2 shows at one time. So do you think I need to try to get another replacement DVR or OTA module? Does Dish have a advanced tech department, do they look at this forum?

hddn
Visual Engineer

Well if "incorrectly made" gives you twice the functionality, ask them for another incorrectly made one.

Seriously I see lots of references to recording more than 2 shows at once on a 722K. I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

You might try single mode and see how many you can record - just to see if it changes the number.

tommc
Character Actor
I am home now and notice when I tune to a local channel and press record, the dvr wants me to choose tv1 or tv2 to record to. The old dvr never did that, it just recorded showing an antenna, not a 1 or 2.

Next I unplugged the cable from the antenna going into the OTA module and I still had the local channels available to view. I have never had local channels before from Dish. I don't have as many local channels now as I did with the old DVR.

So now I need to figure out how get to the dvr to show the local channels from the OTA ( antenna on the roof ), not from the Dish. Anyone know how to do that?

tommc
Character Actor
I think I figured it out. I just had the dvr search for local channels ( from the menu ) and now those channels show up in the guide along with the same local channel from the Dish.

So I just have to choose the antenna local channel to record and I can then tune in a dish channel while the local is recording and record that dish channel, all on tv 1. I will try tv 2 later. I can see this will be a pain to choose the OTA local channel and I hope when set up a timer (program to record weekly) it uses the OTA, not from the dish. Maybe I should tell dish to remove my local channels.

Thank you to all the responded. Tech people at Dish need a new guide to look at when answering questions or train people on what an over the air antenna module does!