OTA recording problem is back

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: OTA recording problem is back

nabuch
Camera Crew
Thank you, so it isn't just me. I was going to buy the dual antenna adapter, but it isn't much good if it won't work on recordings. Since DISH said in this post that they don't know of the problem, it won't be fixed anytime soon. Then again, we may be the only two with this problem.

Wallybunker
Costume Designer
nabuch wrote:
As far as I can tell it happened with the Aug.30 update, but it might have been earlier. As before, you can watch OTA programs, but you cannot record them, or rather, you can record them, but you can't watch them because of the constant breaking up of the signal.

I'd just like to know if DISH is aware of the problem and trying to fix it, or not. Also, if they are trying to fix it, will it take 1-2 years like it did before?

I had a Hopper 3 installed two days ago. I also added an OTA dongle, which the Hopper 3 immediately recognized. I scanned the locals and it populated the channels and slowly filled innthevguide. However, after reading some posts attempted to set the Hopper 3 to record programs in the future as an experiment. It did not record three programs I set. The Hopper 3 did allow me to record and OTA program that I started watching.

Why can I not record an OTA program that I wish to record in the future?

peggyrh
Associate Producer
might be because you just had it installed, give it a time to get all the necessary info, nightly downloads, etc., should work better after a few days.

nabuch
Camera Crew
Earlier today I tested it out and it is still recording correctly. So, that does not mean there is no problem; however, to anyone having this problem, check to make sure your antenna connection is tight, mine was pretty loose, One more thing, I'm using the single antenna dongle, but I have the dual one on it's way and maybe it works better.
Highlighted

nabuch
Camera Crew
As expected tightening the antenna did not work for long. I suspect DISH does know about the problem but just won't admit it. So the dual adater will now give me two OTA channels I can't record.

Wallybunker
Costume Designer
nabuch wrote:
As expected tightening the antenna did not work for long. I suspect DISH does know about the problem but just won't admit it. So the dual adater will now give me two OTA channels I can't record.

I have a dual OTA dongle so that does not solve the issue. If the connection was any tighter, I would never be able loosen it.

SeanW
Character Actor
I am seeing a similar issue with OTA, first noticed over the Labor Day weekend. We mostly only watch the local weather OTA radar stations, and record some programs from the PBS station.

I see the pixelation and sound issues with playback of OTA content. As well as when watching it live on both Joey 2 that we have. Not issue watching live OTA on the Hopper 3 itself.

If we have a OTA station playing on a Joey 2, I can go join it on the Hopper 3. No issues on the Hopper 3, and the Joey 2 will then stop pixelating. If i try to watch the OTA channel, on the Joey 2, the next day, it's back to pixelating.

I currently have the old single turner adapter, but have a dual tuner coming.

Wallybunker
Costume Designer
sundog wrote:
This is my first post. I just joined this forum so I could testify that I have had -- and am now having -- this exact experience. OTA playback is breaking up badly again. It took a long time for Dish to fix this problem (sometime last year), and now starting about a week ago, I am experiencing the same problems with frequent audio dropouts and video glitches on playback of OTA recordings. I can watch the OTA channels live with no problem. I have rebooted, run diagnostics, checked connections, checked OTA signal strength (it is very good), etc. to no avail. I spent a lot of time with Dish support last time this happened. Sigh.

I have also done all of the above, including going to the OTA app and checking signal strength, not that I thought that would affect the ability to record. I can watch an OTA program without a problem I simply cannot set a timer.

tpribors
Audio Engineer
I had noticed that the quality of OTA viewing and recording had been degraded. I first noticed it between a week or two weeks ago. The symptom is the same as when we get weak signal on the antenna and I have verified that the live viewing experience is much better than the recorded shows.

mjmgator
Extra
Sundog, I'm having the exact same problems. I am convinced this is some type of software issue. All of our Hoppers and OTA dongles didn't just happen to go bad at the same time! My equipment was working well until a few weeks ago.