OTA Programming Guide issues on Hopper 3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA Programming Guide issues on Hopper 3

Warpspeed
Extra

The Dish OTA channel guide is showing wrong or no information and after several request from Dr Dish, no progress has been made by Dish:

Channel 13.3 LA Movies channel, guide information is missing.

Channel 50.1 KOCE, the SoCal PBS beamed from Orange County s showing wrong guide information belonging to an infomercial channel called KSCI on 18.1.

Both channels have strength of 100 from a powerful Yagi antenna on teh roof in a strong reception area.  TV shows correct programming information without the Hopper, but Hopper 3 gets it wrong.

Numerous calls to Dr Dish over several months have not resolved the issue, despite the helpful technicians noting teh problem and passing it on to the ether (software programmers?). 

Never a day late paying over the years, so it would be good to know there are some senior people left at Dish who feel accountable and can pick the phone up and fix this or at least apologize.

8 Replies

Re: OTA Programming Guide issues on Hopper 3

I had a very long telephone discussion with a Dish rep somewhere in the Midwest last year (2018) 
about the problem of the guide not showing the proper info for some channels after the DTV channel
shakeup conducted by the FCC (the FCC had a channel space auction and sold some DTV frequency space to
non DTV providers). The result of the auction as far as I can tell is that many TV OTA broadcasters in
the Los Angeles area decided to piggyback (repackage) on other broadcasters physical channel (PC). For
instance, KLCS (PBS) virtual channels (VC) 58.1, 58.2, 58.3, which where originally on PCs 41.1, 41.2,
41.3 are now found on the higher PCs of KCET (PBS) on PC 28.+xx. Because the Dish software in my VIP612
was evidently not written to deal with multiple station VC info on a single PC the program info for
VC 28.3 which is NHK is shown on VC 58.3 which should be PBS Create. KOCE (PBS) VC 50 has the same
problem where it has recently been piggybacked onto KSCI PC 18. The Dish rep told me there was next to
no possibility that the problem would be fixed and a software update issued for my receiver model. I have pondered upgrading to a Hopper if this would fix the problem. Recently, I got a free upgrade
offer for the Hopper. Now, I am looking to see if this problem has been resolved in DISH software for
the hopper and it seems not. Why would I want to upgrade with the OTA problem still sitting in the Dish
software, a problem that my 10 year old Samsung HDTV does not exibit? If Dish is going to offer this
OTA guide service then it should do it correctly and get over it. Otherwise discontinue offering the
OTA guide service altogether and mark all the OTA channels in the guide as "digital service" of 12 hour
blocks (which presents other problems with the "rec" button dialog)! Before anyone suggests I do an OTA
rescan on the Dish unit to see if that resolves the issue, I should note that my VIP612 seems to have
another OTA software bug. It was evidently coded with array space for up to 100 OTA stations (should
be way more than ever needed, right) and without any array overflow protection. Since LA has some 150
stations so far, a “scan for stations” selection results in a hard reboot at the point the 100th
station is exceeded. All OTA station modifications must be entered by “add stations” manually.

hstevenson
Camera Crew
The guide for KOCE PBS-LA is still wrong. It is the same guide as for channel 18.1. This makes it impossible to select anything to record. Is anyone from Dish capable of fixing this problem on the Hopper 3?????
Highlighted

DISH Employee

Hello, hstevenson. Unfortunately, if a customer is receiving their local channels with an OTA antenna, DISH no longer is in charge of providing the guide information. With OTA channels and broadcasts over the antenna, any guide information is then provided by the broadcasting station.

hstevenson
Camera Crew
While Dish may not be in charge of the guide, is it possible that you could contact KOCE and find out where the problem is? A technician at Dish would be in a better position to explain the problem.

DISH Employee

I would be more than happy to pass your feedback on to our engineering team! There is nothing that DISH can do with the information that is provided over the air by an OTA antenna. Are you still receiving local channels from DISH or just through the OTA?

hstevenson
Camera Crew
Just thru OTA. All the guides are correct except KOCE. The guide on DISH's website is correct for KOCE 50.1

DISH Employee

Since this is a channel you receive through the OTA we have no way to fix the information provided in the guide, as this information is made available directly from the channel owner. You can try to re-scan the channels into the receiver, this may update the guide information. 

Supplementary guide information may also be available online at www.titantv.com. From this information you can set up a Manual Timer.

To set a Manual Timer: 

1- Press the DVR button

2- Select Timers

3- Press the Options button

4- Select Create a Timer

5- Enter your desired timer preferences

6- Select Create

hstevenson
Camera Crew
I have contacted KOCE and the indicate that the problem is with the Dish programming but they are unable to get any resolution from DISH. Who would I contact to get this resolved.