OTA Pixelization on Joeys and Hopper recordings

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA Pixelization on Joeys and Hopper recordings

Cocey2002
Character Actor

When will this be fixed? It’s been like this for over 1 year.

11 Replies

Re: OTA Pixelization on Joeys and Hopper recordings

gdisarray
Audio Engineer

Hopefully around the time they fix the aspect ratio for 247 METV. (They've known about it for months)

And it took them YEARS, YEARS I tell you, to get the system where it allowed us to pick a reboot time. It was fixed at 1AM whether you were watching, recording, or playing back a recording! It would reboot. It was a two year long thread and about 20 pages deep.  The thread was a big black eye of customer negligence and they didn't even know it.

Cocey2002
Character Actor

Yeah I am beyond annoyed at this point. I like Dish and have been with them a long time but I use ota a lot. The thing is it worked great for a few years but their updates screwed it all up. 

SeanW
Character Actor

This is going to be even more frustrating for me now that they dropped our local ABC and NBC stations, requiring us to watch them OTA...

Our Hopper is in the basement rec room.  So to watch the news first thing in the morning, in the bedroom or livingroom, is a pain.  Have to go into the basement turn on the Hopper and tune to an OTA station.  Then I can go back upsairs and turn on one of the Joeys to actually watch the morning news.

DISH Employee

SeanW, what happens when you try to access the OTA channels from the Joey without going down stairs to the Hopper? 

What model Hopper do you have? 

SeanW
Character Actor

KarolenaP, I have a Hopper 3 with software version U516.

If I don't turn on the Hopper and tune to an OTA station, the OTA stations on the Joey will be pixelated and jittery.  They look as if they are having issues with refreshing portions of the screen.  As soon as the Hopper is tuned to an OTA station, even just joining the tuner/station the Joey is watching, the picture will be cleared up on the Joey.

The cleared up picture will then last until the next morning, where the process has to be repeated.

It was around August 2017 that I first noticed the issue, and the "workaround".

UPDATE: Found my original post on the issue.

https://communities.dish.com/t5/At-Home/Anyone-with-OTA-problems-after-last-update-H3/m-p/498/highli...

DISH Employee

First thing we want to do is update the Hopper as it has really outdated software. The latest version should be U5.22 for the Hopper and depending on what Joey you have, software should be U5.58/U2.93 or U44.95. To get the receivers updated; 

1. Make sure no timers are set to go off in the next hour

2. Turn all receivers off so a 'Standby' screen appears

3. Give the receivers a few minutes to begin the software update process

If it does not manually begin within 5 minutes;

1. Make sure no timers are set to go off in the next hour

2. Press the House button on the Hopper remote 3 times 

3. Go down to Tools on the left 

4. Over to Upgrade Software 

5. Select Upgrade Now

6. Allow up to an hour for the receivers all to update 

Once the receivers are all updated, be sure the Joeys guides are not in a favorites list but set to 'All Subscribed' and see if the OTA channels then appear on the Joeys 

SeanW
Character Actor

I'm currently at work, but when I log into DishAnywhere, the H3 is now reporting that it is running 521, so it went from 516 to 521 in the last hour.  When I get home, I'll tell it to do a manual update to see if that takes it to 522.

SeanW
Character Actor

After forcing the manual update, the H3 is on U5.22 and the 2 Joeys are on U2.93.

I am still seeing a pixelation issue with the OTA channels.  After restarting the H3, the tuning to an OTA channel will display mostly random pixels and strips acorss the picture.  Sometimes the whole picture will "jump".  Tuning to the OTA tuner from the H3 will then clear up the picture on the Joey(s).  The picture then seems to be fine until manually restarting the H3, or it does it's nightly restart at 1am.

When I got up this morning I tuned the living room Joey to an OTA station and experienced the above issues.  Once I tuned the H3 to an OTA station, the picture on the Joey was then flawless.

It does seem that the sound has been improved from U5.16 to U5.22.  It doesn't seem to cut out during the picture issues like it would previously do.  So now the issues seem to be isolated to just the picture.

DISH Employee

SeanW, are you able to re-position the OTA and re-scan them on the Hopper?