Not a cloud in the sky and have signal loss

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a cloud in the sky and have signal loss

Debgram
Extra

What the heck is going on.  It's bad enough we get signal loss in bad weather, now we're getting it with nice weather.  Seriously thinking about going back to cable.  I turned off the system as it says to do, it went through all of the setup crap and I still have no signal.

5 Replies

Re: Not a cloud in the sky and have signal loss

d4g4m
Visual Engineer

Things to check-

Has the dish moved in anyway? 1/8" movement on post will lose signal. Any tree branches? The sats are actually 12-15 additional degrees above your elevation setting.

Check the cable where it comes out of the house to the dish. Any cuts, breaks?

Exterior cable connectors are suseptible to corrosion. Take them apart and look for broken, rusted, corroded copper lead and corrosion in connector.

Do you have a multi meter? Separate cable at a connector where it comes out of the house or attic.  Tester set to 20V DC Red to copper, black to the cable connector. Should read 13 to 19 volts. If no volts, problem is with receiver. If volts, and you have access to the dish, disconnect cable at LNB and test for volts. If no volts, cable is bad, if 13-19 volts at dish, LNB is bad.

DISH Employee

What receiver model are you experiencing this on? Does this happen on all the TVs in the house, or just a particular one?
What is the signal code you are getting? It should say on the top right corner of the message. Is there a code like 11-12-11 or 31-11-45 on the signal message?

6/4
It is unacceptable tgat tge best that Dish can do is guve you a list of “things to check”.
I started having the same issue about 10 days ago. No bad weather, no wind, not moved the dish. Nothing has been touche or changed and the issue just showed up.
I called Dish today and after wasting 20min going over the troubleshooting, I got told that this iissue is actually happening accross many homes.
Stop tge Dish and admit that either:
a) You don’t know what is going on.
b) Your product is bad.
c) Dish is being hacked
d) You are working on a solution
e) all of the above

I am sitting here trying to imagine my grandmother climbing up to the roof to try to troubleshoot any damage to electric lines that might be causing partial to complete signal loss through the satellite dish. I can understand customers performing box resets, checking that connections are tight and cords are completely plugged in. I cannot imagine customers having to troubleshoot equipment they not only did not install, but also must have for the service they pay for to function. Charter Spectrum does not charge to check for bad cables and you can swap out a modem free of charge. No equipment lasts forever, especially when subjected to Mother Nature. We have the VIP222k receiver, and it is better than any meteorologist at predicting an impending storm or other bad weather. Before a drop of rain falls, regardless if the wind blows, the partial or complete signal loss (002 or 015) message pops up. Interestingly, most of the time the SD channels still work although they are awful to look at. I have done all of the required checks and resets inside the house, but I am not going to risk falling or getting shocked to troubleshoot equipment necessary for the service being paid for to work. I do not understand why the customer is required to pay twice - once for the equipment and installation, then again for the equipment to be serviced when it malfunctions. If the customer’s actions affected the service, that would be different, but I do not understand the customer having to pay an extra fee for a technician to come inspect the dish when it is a necessary component for the service. If the power meter malfunctions, do I need a separate service contract for the power company to come fix it or replace it? If I had a landline and a tree snapped the phone line, would I have to pay the phone company to fix it so I could make and receive calls again when I had nothing to do with the line no longer working? Water and gas are the only two services I can think of where the homeowner is responsible for the physical maintenance of pipes on the property and connected to appliances. I can understand those two, because the installation of those pipes and /or appliances is paid for by the homeowner during construction. However, even those companies are responsible for the equipment at the street. So why does the customer get gigged when cables or the dish itself have an issue? 

DISH Employee

Hi 24sevnlibrarian, we're sorry to hear you are having problems with your service and want to help get this resolved as quickly as possible. We certainly don't want our customers climbing up on the roof and putting themselves in danger. The majority of our steps can be done in the home with your remote control or with the controls on the front of your receiver. We do offer our DISH Protect service which discounts tech visits and gives you free shipping on any replacement equipment. We would be glad to try some troubleshooting steps if you send us a private message with the phone number on your account.