No Program Guides for Some OTA Channels

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Program Guides for Some OTA Channels

BillC4
Camera Crew
There are many very good OTA subchannels I can receive on my Hopper with an OTA adapter. When I use the channel guide Dish provides program information for This TV, Charge TV, Antenna TV, and Movies TV. Dish offers no guide for ME TV, Comet TV or Grit TV. Why is this?
36 Replies

Re: No Program Guides for Some OTA Channels

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The only sub channels that get guide data are the ones that are included with a larger channel. Most of them do not have extended guides, and the ones that do, is not worth buying the data for a service not charged for. Basically, it'd be throwing money into a black hole.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
If you had an antenna co-ax connected directly to the TV 'ant in' jack, did a scan, you would receive a separate TV program guide showing ALL channels being broadcast in your area.

MWDXER
Extra

Why certain OTA channels on Dish have guides and others do not, I have no clue. Ones we are missing from the Portland OR market include Comet, Stadium, Estrella, Qwest, KPTV  & KPDX. We do have guides for KATU, METV, KOIN, Get TV, Decades, KGW, Justice TV, KOPB, KOPB+, PBS Kids.

BillC4 wrote:
There are many very good OTA subchannels I can receive on my Hopper with an OTA adapter. When I use the channel guide Dish provides program information for This TV, Charge TV, Antenna TV, and Movies TV. Dish offers no guide for ME TV, Comet TV or Grit TV. Why is this?

slclemens
Character Actor

This problem of Dish messing up the channel guide make no sense and they should fix it already. The same antenna hooked to the tv gets all the channel names and program info but after buying the Dish dual tuner and connecting to the DVR, the channels were not properly listed and the program info is mostly missing.  Dish messed this up and they should fix it fast.

Balanhill859
Extra

Hello. Has anybody else noticed that all their OTA channels show up in the guide as OTA-HD even thou they are actually just SD? Would that have something to do with the guide data being missing?

DISH Employee

The option to see OTA programming through DISH equipment is available. However we are not able to guarantee the quality of the broadcast or the information that the programming puts into the DISH guide. What I would recommend is doing a hard reset on the system by unplugging the power cord for ten seconds and then plugging it back in. This will reset your system as well as redownload the guide information. 

drj
Extra

Your response doesn't make any sense.  In Bend, OR for many years we had program guide showing for the xx-01 OTA channels and now, starting a month or two ago, are down to only a few channels showing the guide. KOHD and KBNZ have no guide.  Up until we replaced the receiver today we were getting a guide for KBNZ but with the new receiver we don't.  The guide for KOHD went away a month or two ago.  Doing the hard reset didn't help.  Is this the only way to download the guide?

DISH Employee

drj, there is another way that you can try to force the Guide to download if the hard reset didn't work. It depends on what type of equipment you have. 

If you have the Hopper system, you will want to place all of your receivers in standby mode. This is done by powering them off. You will also want to make sure that you do not have any recordings set to start for the next 30 minutes. By leaving them off and a tuner available, if the Guide is not up to date it will start to download the newest version of the Guide. 

For a ViP receiver, you can run a check switch test which will then reboot the receiver and will force a download of the Guide when it comes back up. To run the check switch test, you will want to go to Menu >  System Setup > Installation > Point Dish > Check Switch > Test. Once the test completes and you are back on the Installation Summary screen, you will want to cancel out of all of the menus. This will start the reboot automatically.

CajunBass58
Extra

I have a VIP722k receiver and I purchased the OTA module which I ran to an outdoor antenna. I used to get program guides for all channels that appeared but now only some have programming information. I don't know when this changed but I don't even get all of the programming guide for the local CBS station. I haven't seen this issued addressed. Any ideas?