New customer, not happy with poor HD picture

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer, not happy with poor HD picture

pony172
Character Actor

Switched over from Direct TV on Monday.  On Tuesday my wife and son ask me why our picture is blurry, especially during any sporting event.  Hockey and basketball are especially affected.  Every face is a blur, as are the uniforms.  Even Live with Kelly and Ryan lacked color and sharpness.  Called the tech line and tried a few things to no avail.  They sent a tech the next day to troubleshoot everything.  They said that according to their specs everything was within parameters. We even used their "premium" $40 dollar HDMI 2.0 cable. No change in quality between the two cables.   We looked at the picture and he could not comment on something so subjective. I gave him his $40 cable back and he left.  Called a few neighbors over to look.  They are now really happy to stay with Xfinity and Direct TV after they saw my picture.  I wanted to cancel of course and they were more than happy to do so for the $480 ETF.  I plan on getting my $300 dollar gift card and using it to cancel ASAP.  The Neighboorhood Facebook page now has an open invitation to come to my house to see what Dish Network HD looks like.  

9 Replies

Re: New customer, not happy with poor HD picture

dp55
Costume Designer

I had issues with sports being blurry and pixeling also, but mine is from storm damage to my local channels due to hurricane florence. I also noticed that other programs were blurring at times, found out that my TV was part of the problem so replaced, still had this issue so when I was checking cables found that a little box called a SWiM think thats the right spelling had loose connections.  I would recommend checking if you have a Swm device behind your tv that is plugged in I have one installed and found the cables coming from the outside to the SWiM from the SWiM to the reciever were loose, once i tightened it up it totally cleared up, it may or may not work but worth trying. Hope this helps you some. Also recommend using the diagnostics and checking  your signal strength and checking for any obstructions to your dish. I wish you luck and hope you find the issue and resolve it.

pony172
Character Actor

I ve had a new TV for the past month.  65" samsung Q65 4k UHD.  Tried to adjust picture settings for use with Dish.  Ended up doing a reset to factory settings with no change.  Dish removed the SWM box as it was part of Direct TVs equipment.  Tech checked all the signal strengths and satellites when they were here.  Antenna was just put in.  IT is aimed at the Eastern Satellites.  Signal strength is in the mid 60's.  Tech even changed the barrels on the end of the cable to low frequency ones, not sure why that helps.  

dp55
Costume Designer

I had directv also, tech left SWiM in place that's why I thought of it, sorry it didn't help you and wish you luck, as for the TV, I had one that wasn't even a year old and it was part of the problem so I'm glad yours is not part of issue. Good luck.

DISH Employee

I am  sorry to hear that we were not able to resolve your technical issues. I would like to review your account  to see the notes that the technician left, and possibly have our engineers take a look further into this issue as well. Can you please provide me with your phone number, and security pin in a private message so that I may access your account? 

pony172
Character Actor

Kimberly, I will send a private message.  To everyone else, don't give up trying to get the service you are paying for.  So far 5 of my neighbors have read our neighborhood facebook page and have seen my Dish service. We had the Price is Right on in the morning and it looked like we were watching pixel blocks.  BTW, Direct TV will bundle Satellite and ATT internet and give you a $200 gift card.  You guys can do the math. 

HadFam
Extra
I too am experiencing the same issue. Mostly with sports as was mentioned in post. Dish Support, what can be done to fix? Moving from cable to Dish expected at least same picture quality if not better. Blurry pixelated face and bodies watching football, basketball, etc. This is not acceptable!!!

DISH Employee

We definitely want you to have a pleasurable viewing experience blurry free. I'd be happy to work with you in resolving this issue and getting your picture quality to an HD signal. Can you please provide me with your phone number and security pin in a private message so that I may access your account? 

HadFam
Extra
Not sure how to private message you?

sammyboy405
Extra

Seen so many of these posts. Im glad im not alone.  I thought maybe im being to picky, switched almost a year ago from Cox Cable.  And Its almost like they are compressing the image as it sent, making all the digital smoothing look worse.  if your far away its hard to tell but the closer you get to the TV it looks like a HD video you are trying to watch  on Netflix but dont have enough speed to see the quality of the picture.  

So is this fixable or is it just Dish in how they compress the signal?  I have the latest and greatest cables.  I have the Hopper 3, and 4k Joeys on 4k TV's.  I consider myself pretty TV/Tech Savvy so pretty sure its not a me issue, seeing howeverthing else works and looks fine. 

Picture just looks like its got some bad photo shop blur job done to the picture..  If your way far away you can barely tell, if with in 10ft you can tell, espcially around Text.  Or Sports.. BIG time on Sports.   Basketball is the worst.