New Voice Remote Does Not Work and Dish Knows it is a Problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Voice Remote Does Not Work and Dish Knows it is a Problem

reedee
Character Actor

After seeing the wonderful ads on TV of the Dish voice remote, and seeing that my old one has seen better days, I decided to order a new voice remote. I ordered dirct from Dish, paid a little over $27 with shipping.

I received it yesterday, paired it with my set and proceeded to ask it to look for channels and programs. It just said "Listening" and then did the search/spin thing. Nothing happened. I contacted Dish and they told me that it is a known problem and after they receive more complaints the engineers will be able to rectify the problem. I was so upset that they knowingly let me purchase something that they knew had a problem. The customer service representative tried to smoothe it over by telling me his remote has the same problem. I am returning it, but I have to suck up my original shipping costs, which does not seem right. Dish is about to lose a customer...........

21 Replies

Re: New Voice Remote Does Not Work and Dish Knows it is a Problem

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
What is the internet speeds being received on your receiver? I was having the same issue, and then I ran a hard line to my Hopper3, and all issues went away. The WiFi was getting 8 Mbps, and the hardline got 192 Mbps... little bit of a difference.

DISH Employee

Sorry to here you are having these issues Redee, to be honest, Chad is correct.  Often times it can come down to internet connection speed, because the voice search is reliant on IP connectivity.  Also do you remember if  the remote did a firmware update when you first paired it to your Hopper or Joey?  The 54.0 voice remote typically needs to do this or it may have issues with some functions.

If you would like you can also Private Message me the phone number on your account and I will be happy to take a look at your install and see if I can find any possible work arounds.

If you need help with sending a PM here is a great walkthrough of the process!
https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/m-p/15039#M421

reedee
Character Actor
The instructions said nothing about the remote needing to update, and no, I did not see it do any sort of update. I did try to update my Hopper, but it said it was up to date.
I have the highest internet speed offered by Cox in my area, and have no connectivity or streaming/download issues.
Thank you for reaching out. If you can tell me how to force the remote to uodate, I would be willing to try that.
I am not interested in messing with adding lines, etc to get this thing to work, it should connect and work without having to re-wire my system.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Mine was cox as well. Like i said, hardwiring fixed all issues, some that you may not even have noticed yet.

reedee
Character Actor
I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. I still dont think we should have to re-wire things for the remote to work.

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
You don’t. The remote will work without internet. The voice feature, in the other hand, requires a good internet connection.

reedee
Character Actor

How do you hardwire it? Do you mean connecting the Hopper directly up via ethernet cable to my modem? My modem is connected in another room and this would not be possible to do.

DISH Employee

To hardwire your Hopper to the internet means connecting it directly with an ethernet cable instead of using the wi-fi. You may be able to force the remote to do a firmware update by unpairing it, then re-pairing it to the receiver. Internet speeds do play a big role in the voice features of the remote working properly. Let us know if you still have any issues! 

reedee
Character Actor
Not possible since the internet modem is wired in one room and my Hopper is in another. So, my voice remote will not work if the Hopper isnt hard wired?