New Hopper Software Made me a DIS-Satisfied customer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hopper Software Made me a DIS-Satisfied customer

TopMJW
Character Actor

I've been a Dish customer for 6-7 years. LOVED DISH and told all my family and friends the same...but, about 6 months ago or so Dish "upgraded" the software on my Hopper system and since them the performance and functionality of the entire system has been SERIOUSLY degraded. I've called Dish (and Frontier) customer service AT LEAST 4-6 times to find out what can be done and every time they go through some scripted motions and leave me w/ same issue. The functionality of the DVR went from great multi-speed slow fwd and reverse to jerky barely functioning single speed (if/when it works at all). Most of the time slow reverse doesn't work at all. Every button press on my remote takes anywhere from 2-8 seconds to do anything on my system...it is horrible and was NOT like this before the "upgrade". Multiple times per week turning on the system will result in a black screen...unplugging joey and hopper resets everything and gets the system working most of the time...this never happened before. I've told customer service this multiple times and they ask me to turn my box on and off, or send a signal...nothing works and i'm left w/ same VERY nasty slow disfunctional system. As much as I LOVED my Dish for the previous years, I HATE it more now. As much as I HATED comcast before moving to Dish, i'll probably move back and pay more b/c Dish just really seems to not care at all about the issues that i'm having. Very frustrated about this...has anyone else seen crappy functionality since the big system software "upgrade" this year? Dish customer service tells me that they are not receiving complaints about this...so I asked them if my hardware was bad, and the last thing they told me when I called is that they send out frequent updates and that my issues would "probably be fixed by one of these updates". I read that as a brush off

16 Replies

Re: New Hopper Software Made me a DIS-Satisfied customer

stile99
Cinematographer
Based on your description, you probably have a Hopper with Sling, or even worse, the original Hopper. The Hopper 3 was released almost two years ago, and has had the new software the entire time. Earlier this year, the new software was released for older models. Whether this should have happened or not has been debated to death so I won't go into that, but the fact is new software + old hardware almost always = bad times. Try installing Windows 10 on a 486, you'll see what I mean.

The bottom line is if you do have older hardware, a future software release is very unlikely to fix it. While possible, Dish (nor would any other company) just simply isn't going to spend a lot of time rewriting code for older hardware. So the solution would be to get the new hardware, the Hopper 3, which will get you a much faster CPU, 16 tuners, and a bunch of other nifty new features. Unfortunately, upgrading to the Hopper 3 will almost certainly come with a fee, your DVR fee will probably rise, and it will definitely require a new contract, probably for 2 years. If you've loved Dish for the last 6-7 years that last part probably won't be much of an issue.

A word of advice if you do go the upgrade route, hold onto your remotes. The installer will probably say he has to take them, but he's wrong. The Hopper 3 initially came with a remote that a lot of people didn't like. I understand they've since come out with another one that addresses some of the issues but frankly (while I admit I've not used it) from the looks of it, I'd still keep your current remotes.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The 54.0 is actually not a bad little remote. I use it on my Joey primarily(kids tv). I use the 50.0 touchpad remote for my bedroom and love it.

TopMJW
Character Actor
Thanks for your responses. I think you're right re: new software on old hardware...though Dish tech support or customer svc. won't say so. The drop-off was just so dramatic. It is amazing to me that Dish works so hard to get new customers yet they're willing to treat loyal existing ones like crap. I'll be sad to go, but dang! I'll just start shopping for new customer promotional offers from Direct or Comcast. To go from LOVE IT/GREAT to HATE IT/Sucks in less than ~6 months is really sad and frustrating...all the more so when it seems like Dish isn't willing to do anything at all about it. :/

DISH Employee
If you could send me a Private Message with your account number or phone number and 4-digit PIN I'd be happy to see what options are available to assist you with this issue!

TopMJW
Character Actor
trying to send a private message, but always get the below error when trying to submit:

The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.

Your support ID is: 12579363817087958

DISH Employee
Try removing any special characters, then try sending the PM again.

TopMJW
Character Actor

Bingo!
Thank you Erika.

I did look through the FAQ first, but didn't see the solution there that you provided...thanks again!

olpdog
Character Actor
TopMJW wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I think you're right re: new software on old hardware...though Dish tech support or customer svc. won't say so. The drop-off was just so dramatic. It is amazing to me that Dish works so hard to get new customers yet they're willing to treat loyal existing ones like crap. I'll be sad to go, but dang! I'll just start shopping for new customer promotional offers from Direct or Comcast. To go from LOVE IT/GREAT to HATE IT/Sucks in less than ~6 months is really sad and frustrating...all the more so when it seems like Dish isn't willing to do anything at all about it. :/

As a Dish Network customer for well over 20 years, I'm facing the identical situation. My receivers haven't been able to handle the update and since I'm already paying Dish nearly $200/month, adding even more to that cost isn't an option. I've had thoughts about moving over to Directv for some time now, and this (on top of the significant billing increase scheduled for January) may just push me over the edge. Dish obviously doesn't have a concern about keeping customers, they've devoted all their resources to bringing in new customers. Then they wonder why people are dropping satellite/cable all together. I'm going to try to stick with satellite/cable, but I guess the only way to get reasonable costs and decent CS is to jump back and forth between cable, Dish & Directv. It really is unfortunate as, for the most part, I've had good experiences with Dish Network over the years.

TopMJW
Character Actor
I feel the same way. Up until ~6 months ago, I LOVED my Dish system...the result of my "private message" with a Dish community rep. on this forum was an offer of a 3 month premium channel package!! Really!!??? I had the same "offer" from their phone support...somehow Dish policy is that pushing an unwanted premium channel package through a broken Hopper/Joey system for 3 months for free will fix it??! I'm def. shopping the Comcast & Direct TV offers that show up in my USPS mailbox every day (the ones that I used to immediately shred and throw away unopened).
I can't believe how quickly things changed re: my Dish service and my attitude about Dish...but then again, I guess it wasn't really that quick, I first brought the broken software upgrade issues up to them 4-6 months ago!