cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

New Hopper Recordings Interface

UnhappyDishUser
Character Actor
I’m really unhappy about the update they loaded this weekend. Particularly they removed the program name text from the DVR recording‘s screen. My eyes aren’t so great, but I could easily scan the display before. Now I have to take a long look at each Poster or icon. It takes me forever to find programs on that screen. The selected icon is also hard to discern. Please give us a user option to get back to the old display format!
Tags (3)
12 Replies

Re: New Hopper Recordings Interface

tpfx
Extra

Ditto.   

I guess in the big picture if TV is going to hurt me now, literally, as in eye strain, Dish tilts more toward being expendable.  

thompssb
Character Actor

I agree.  Its terrible...

DISH Employee

I can understand why that you would be upset by this. We do have the option to change the appearance of your guide. This will allow you to switch from the default display to a look that is more along the old Hopper interface. You can actually find the steps to do that here https://www.mydish.com/support/products/hopper/how-to/set-preferences/set-display

UnhappyDishUser
Character Actor

Thanks for your response JamesL. However, my complaint is not about the List displays. The change you folks made was to the DVR Recordings screen, Prime Time Anytime, and Rentals screens. Until this weekend, under the icon/podter for each program it would have its name e.g. "Big Bang Theory". Now the text is gone. I have searched Options, Setting, and Adaptability but there seems to be no way to customize this feature (as yet! Smiley Happy ). 

I did look at Options for the DVR Recorings screen and there is an option to zoom the "Poster" which helps a little but you still need to read through the posters and it limits the screen to only 8 programs. 

Looks like the Home screen still has text captions, so take a look there and compare to the DVR recordings screen for a quick comparison. 

Thanks. 

DISH Employee

That would be very frustrating.The name of the show will display on the right side of your screen once the icon is selected but no longer displays under the icon for the program. We don't currently have the option available to go to the old version before that update. ​​​​​​​This is similar to any smart phone or tablet. They receive regular updates, which sometimes include a new lay out, to stay current with the demands of modern technology.

UnhappyDishUser
Character Actor

Well, I guess I reject the idea that making a screen harder to use is "staying current with modern technology". and after 35 years in IT, I can assure you that TEXT is still a supported technology. 

since I can't see any efficiency gains from this change, I assume you've decided to make the screens less usable in return for some artistic benefit. 

So I will be leaving this thread open, hoping you get enough complaints to consider offering the "include program name" feature as a user option. 

I'm guessing someone could code that change in 150 hours? Smiley Wink 

Finally, interesting you mention smartphones. I checked DishAnywhere and the DVR screen still includes the text labels! Smiley Happy  

Dumluk2002
Character Actor

Just turned on my DVR recordings. The list of shows just is pictures with no name of the show! Can this be fixed?

Dumluk2002
Character Actor

Have to agree totally. Hard to figure out what show it is without text. Awful awful idea

Sodamo
Extra

Wife and I agree. The new interface is horrible, hard to read. Please fix.