New Hopper 3: YouTube and Netflix won't open

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hopper 3: YouTube and Netflix won't open

stevesrt
Camera Crew
We upgraded to a Hopper 3 a few days ago. We let it update overnight, and the diagnostic page says it has the latest version of the software. It is connected to the Internet and we can stream on demand content.

When we open either Netflix or YouTube from the Hopper menu, they show the splash screen with the respective company logo but do not go past that, even if I wait a few minutes. No sign in screen, buttons to click, or error codes. The TV channel audio continues playing. For YouTube, if I press the Home button a few times it goes back to the Hopper menu. At least one time I tried Netflix, I had to power off the Hopper.

The Hopper does show as a casting option for YouTube on our phones, but has the same symptoms if we connect to it...logo screen and nothing happens. (it would be kind of convenient to move our Chromecast to a second TV so that is actually a cool feature if it worked)

I have used the diagnostic menu to reset both YouTube and Netflix to their default settings.

Suggestions?
Tags (3)
30 Replies

Re: New Hopper 3: YouTube and Netflix won't open

Chadt41411
Casting Director
How many days, exactly, have you had the H3?

stevesrt
Camera Crew
Hi Chad,
It was installed Tuesday so today is Day 5.

I first tried YouTube Wednesday I think...IIRC it had to update overnight to have the app.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Usually 72 hours. Try resetting it.

Also, what is your internet speeds?

stevesrt
Camera Crew

Usually 72 hours what?

I have reset the YouTube and Netflix apps.

Download speed is 18 Mbps.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Have you reset the receiver. Pull the power cable for 10 seconds.

stevesrt
Camera Crew
This morning I started by using the diagnostic page in the menu to restart the Hopper (since powering off a running computer should be avoided if possible). Both apps opened fine. Go figure. It would presumably have restarted with the software update Tuesday night but maybe not since then.

Thanks,
Steve

stevesrt
Camera Crew

Well, this evening when I got home I tried to fire up YouTube for my son and it hung again. I had tried to connect using the YouTube app on my phone. Same stick splash screen. I restarted the Hopper, after which YouTube would open and play videos, But my phone would not connect, even though it saw the Hopper for casting.

I suspect they still have some bugs.

stevesrt
Camera Crew

Several minutes after my post my wife was able to connect from YouTube on her phone.

This morning I tried again from my phone, and same as before YouTube opens but stays at its splash screen. After a restart the app opens on the Hopper but my phone can't connect...stays at connecting for a while then that bar disappears. It seems unlikely theres an issue with my phone since we're both on the latest iOS and my phone works fine with our Chromecast.

I will try opening the app on the Hopper first next time.

stevesrt
Camera Crew
After a slow motion trial and error across several days i have found a way to make the YouTube app work.

1) try opening YouTube. If it gets stuck at the red logo/splash screen for more than about 20 seconds, press the Home button on the remote until the DVR goes back to its menu. Under Menu/Diagnostics/Tools, restart your Hopper (hopefully nothing is recording). Once it restarts wait a minute or so for the Internet to connect and open YouTube.

(to be continued)