Network keeps dropping

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network keeps dropping

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Is anyone else having problems keeping your Hopper and Joeys on the Internet? We have tried to watch a number of VOD movies, only to have them just fail and stop playing in the middle with the messsage that your Hopper must be connected to the Internet. Rebooting the Hopper, or sometimes resetting then network works for some time and then just drops the network again,

it is not so obvious if just watching TV as there is no on-screen notice when the network drops. But if you check network status, I’ll bet you will find it goes off line.

My wish here Dish is that before you add any more features, can you eliminate the bugs in your set top box please? I just got gigabit fiber installed in my houses, and if not for the remainder of my contract, I would have switched to Uverse when installed last week. Just to be clear, I have been a Dish customer almost since it’s beginning too.

please fix the bugs. Thank you 

9 Replies

Re: Network keeps dropping

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Oh, and when a VOD movies fails in the middle, it does not restart the download. It simply says Download Failed with delete being the only option.

And right now, the network is failing so quickly, I cannot get a movie to finish downloading to watch before the network drops again. 

Truly awful

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Have you tried to plug the Ethernet directly into the Hopper? Bypass WiFi?

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

@Chadt4141 wrote:
Have you tried to plug the Ethernet directly into the Hopper? Bypass WiFi?

It is plugged into an Ethernet cable. (which is currently running at 90 Mbps when connected) There is a hub between it and the main router, but other devices on those same hubs are not loosing connection.  And I also have Wifi on as a backup (although the network screen says "Wireless port not in use.")

Ill try the other port, and maybe switch to only Wifi and see if that makes a difference. The access point is right next to the receiver. 

Thanks for the suggesiton.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

This is interesting. I tried the bottom Eternet. Same result, the movie download fails about half way thorugh. (I wonder if the movie is bad?) Anyway, I disconnected the Ethernet cable, and when I scan Wifi networks, it now says "No wireless networks were found), yet my Laptop sitting in the same room sees 11 networks in the area. Sounds like something may be wrong with the hardware perhaps?

More: I disconnected the cable and did a restart on the receiver. It found the Wifi this time, and connected to the close one at 100% signal. The internet Settings screen shows all green with a proper IP address and a full on signal strength. 

So I went back to the VOD screen and got the message that I needed to be connected to the internet for VOD to work. (I am going to channel 350, STARZ On Demand). After about 5 minutes, it finally let me in. I am trying a download now, which runs a lot slower at 60 Mbps, but we shall see. 

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

OK, one more update: Connecting via WiFi let me get the entire movie and has stayed on line for 3 hours now. Maybe the problem is in the wired Ethernet? 

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You said you had a switch or a bridge in the middle, right? I can tell you from lots of experience that Dish equipment doesn’t play nicely with bridges/switches, so I bet that may be what is causing the issue.

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Thanks Chad. I hope that is not the case as that would violate a lot of networking standards. And, I have no way to connect it without at least 1 switch in the middle. But WiFi seems to be working, so perhaps I will stay with that for now. So far, it seems to be working.  And here is an odd fact: That access point has a switch between it and the router!  :-(

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Update: Ran a CAT-6 directly from the Internet router to the back of the set. Tried both top and bottom ethernet ports. The connection still drops. Connecting via WiFi works just fine and almost never drops. It is just not as fast. 

So I have a workaround, but seriously, why should features be broken and not working? 

Chadt4141
Casting Director
That is honestly shocking. I had the same issue, and ran Ethernet cable directly... it resolved it entirely. Now, although I have a nice route, the original paint on my walls are lead based, and I have the router in my back room. Cuts my WiFi to all my other devices. Lol, that sucks, as my iPhone slows down because of it. The Hopper is fantastic with Ethernet though, when Cox isn’t being dumb with signal.