cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Netflix not working on Hopper 3 - ongoing 8 month old issue

logdog
Visual Engineer

I've been having an intermittent issue with Netflix that I first reported on this forum more than 8 months ago. My Netflix locks up at the startup splash screen and I can hear dialog from the last show I was watching. I have to pull the plug and reboot several times to get it working again. Of course that means whatever I am recording will have several 5 minute breaks.

A Dish member posted back in April that "this issue has been reported to our Engineering Team. Once a resolution has been reached, they will release the fix in a nightly update. At this time, we do not have an estimated time frame of when this will be resolved. At this time, the work around that we have is to reset Netflix back to its default setting, then reset the Hopper by unplugging it for 10 seconds from the electrical outlet then plugging it back, and then to reset all remaining Joeys by also unplugging for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in."

Now it's 4 months later and the issue still isn't fixed. Netflix is almost unusable under these conditions. Last night I had to go through the reboot process 4 times to watch a Netflix program.

Tags (1)
13 Replies

Re: Netflix not working on Hopper 3 - ongoing 8 month old issue

DISH Employee

Hello, Logdog. I definitely understand not having Netflix working like it should can be very frustrating. Our Engineering team is still working on a solution to this issue. At this point, we don't have an updated timeline when it will be fixed. I know it has been a while, and I appreciate the patience that you have shown as we work towards the solution to this issue. 

kellieb
Extra

SAME HERE!!!!! so frustrated that i pay for Dish and end up watching Netflix on my laptop 

WayneM
Character Actor

Same here reset after reset recorded program gaps , getting so sick of Dish [we are working on it] we are considering going back to direct TV as we have both dishes on the roof and a simple reconnect. Direct tv has offered us quite a deal to switch. If dish can't FIX this issue soon they will LOSE us as a costomer. Now days the companies don't seem to care about old customers, but almost romance new ones. Looks like switching every 2 years might be the answer.

DISH Employee

WayneM, we would certainly hate to lose you as a customer. I do understand there is no immediate solution for this known issue, but I assure you that our Engineer Team are actively working on finding a resolution. The feedback we receive is important as this will help us narrow down the issue. 

jorge8850
Extra

ChristinaW, I too am having similar issues with my Hopper and Joeys!  All along, I assumed I just had a terrible internet connection, but I just recently upgraded my centurylink dsl to 40mb and there is a noticable improvement overall on all apps.  Netflix over my blueray box works great every time without any hangs.  But, when I attempt to view netflix over any of my dish devices, it hangs up.  I have learned that rebooting (holding the power button till the device reboots) does alleviate the problem for an undetermined number of days. 

One thing I want to point out is that I can predict when the problem is about to reoccur because the joey or hopper become sluggish during normal use, in other words, I press a button and nothing happens right away, after a second, the command executes.  When this starts to happen and I open up the netflix app, it usually hangs.   I don't always get error codes, it just hangs.  When I do get an error code (which I failed to write down) I get the option to do a test.  The netflix servers usually are failing with a red x and so is the internet, yet, I know I have a good internet connection.  Internet to the hopper is ethernet connected.   For what it's worth.......

DISH Employee

Jorge8850, thank you for providing the additional information on the Netflix issue. We greatly appreciate it. As there is not a resolution for this issue as of yet, we are continuously working on getting it resolved. We want you to be able to enjoy all features, of your devices without incident. 

Foxriverfox2
Extra

I solved the problem I have with Netflix freezing everytime I use that channel.  I just stopped trying!!!  This is rediculous that  Dish would provide a channel for us Netflix uses, but we can not use it.  Stop saying we are working on the problem!  This is just a generic response to a problem that Dish is not trying to fix!

DISH Employee

Foxriverfox2, I can absolutely understand why you would be frustrated. Are you seeing the movie/show freeze when you go into Netflix? For example, do you see it stay on the "Netflix" start up screen? Or are you seeing the freezing happening when you watch something? If so, are you getting a buffering message? 

WayneM
Character Actor

same as most---got to netflix app or channel 370 doesn't matter which and it's a crap shoot as to weither you will get in or get the FREEZE

netflix logo appears, but sound if from the last channel before tuning to netflix.

the only recourse at that point is a reciever reset. I don't much care about reset EXCEPT if your recording a program you lose 5 minutes of it for each reset.

Once we had to reset three times to get the netflix app to finally work.

you all have know about this problem (as some posts say) for at least 2 years.

since the engineers seem to be at a total loss to fix this issue you might want to hire someone from USA and not outsource to India ect. (don't know if you do or not) but they are sure not on the ball.