Netflix not playing in Dolby

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Netflix not playing in Dolby

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Wanted to add that we watched Dr Strange last night in Netflix on the Hopper 3, Only 2chl sound was heard and no DD appeared on my AVR. Switching back to Live TV after, DD appears on the AVR. :?

Macjackson
Character Actor
I have no idea about how the H3 connects to Netflix or what it will allow to pass through since my H3 has failed since day one to connect to Netflix. I get some error code. However, I don't really care since when I had the HWS model, it would not allow the pass through of 5.1 signals from Netflix. Therefore, I just picked up the Sony receiver and hit the large white/red letter Netflix button and watch Netflix directly on the TV (also needed if I wanted to watch 4K feeds from Netflix) and I still do that today even with the H3.

However, someone noted that Netflix cannot pass DD over an HDMI cable and that statement is not correct. If they mean it cannot be passed via HDMI through the H3, that might or might not be correct. However, Netflix can even pass DD+ through an HDMI cable to a receiver that has that feature. Almost everything (maybe everything) I watch on Netflix has DD and my receiver shows that is what is being played Netflix can pass DD over HDMI,

But the receiver needs to be set up correctly to receive 5.1 DD (DD+) signals. In my setup the ARC circuit from the TV takes the place of a needed optical line since the ARC sends the 5.1 sound fro the TV to the receiver.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Currently Netflix DD is broke on the H3, HDMI and Optical. We hope that this will get fixed by either Netflix and or DISH. They both need to review this IMO.

scotar
Audio Engineer
^ ^ Bump for original problem ^ ^

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Hopefully next update.

scotar
Audio Engineer
e38BimmerFN wrote:
Hopefully next update.
I would kind of like to hear from a greenie that they know there is an issue and it is being looked in to.

tommyy2
Cinematographer
Netflix gives Dish an app to run on the Hopper, works great then Dish does another upgrade and???

How long before Netflix gets tired of it, and when they do what do you think they will they do?

scotar
Audio Engineer
tommyy2 wrote:
Netflix gives Dish an app to run on the Hopper, works great then Dish does another upgrade and???

How long before Netflix gets tired of it, and when they do what do you think they will they do?
I would think that things were thoroughly tested before being released into the wild. And then do a soak test. I think Dish actually does a soak test. Not the former. Apparently there is no in house testing going through all of the features. :geek:

scotar
Audio Engineer
e38BimmerFN wrote:
Hopefully next update.
U500 that came last night didn't fix it.

JNHMANOS
Extra
I also attempted to play Dolby Digital audio through Netflix but it clearly is not supported by the Hopper 3. I have both HDMI and Optical audio out connections to my Yamaha receiver and tested with cables connected individually and simultaneously with a variety of H3 and Yamaha settings. I contacted Netflix at the advise of the Dish support to on avail. I also own a Panasonic TV that carries Netflix with the same problem. My prior Xfinity receiver connected exactly the same way as the H3 but played Dolby Digital through Netflix with no problem. I wish Dish would fix this because I am disappointed that lost this feature when switching from Comcast to Dish and I'm stuck with it for two years. Netflix suggested I access Netflix through an Amazon Fire stick and forget about Dish H3, but I have four Joey's and an H3, and do not feel like investing in five Fire sticks because of a malfunctioning Dish system I'm already paying for monthly.