Netflix not playing in Dolby

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix not playing in Dolby

scotar
Audio Engineer
I have an H3 and just recently it is only playing in 2 channel stereo in the Netflix app.. No DD surround.

H3, as well as everything else, is run through Denon amp. Regular channels on the H3 play in Dolby through the amp and if I switch over to my Fire TV through the amp, Netflix will play the same show in Dolby, but when I pop back to the H3 and resume the same show in Netflix, it is back to stereo,

Running U349 updated 5/19/2017

Any ideas? Broken app?

EDIT: I have tried different shows. Noticed it originally on the new season of Orange. Brand new show War Machine acts the same way.
21 Replies

Re: Netflix not playing in Dolby

How do you have the H3 connected to the amp. I believe it needs to be connected with an optical cable along with the HDMI for surround sound through Netflix.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

scotar
Audio Engineer
THAT makes absolutely no sense!

It is hooked up with HDMI. The receiver is new and my old one did use the optical.

There has got to be another reason. Because what you said is totally contrary to logical thinking. Why would Dish do that?

DISH Employee
scotar wrote:
THAT makes absolutely no sense!

It is hooked up with HDMI. The receiver is new and my old one did use the optical.

There has got to be another reason. Because what you said is totally contrary to logical thinking. Why would Dish do that?

With your ISP, what is the download speeds you’re getting? Here are the requirements for using Netflix;
SD/SQ – 3 Mbps
HD/HQ – 5 Mbps
4K/Ultra HD – 25 Mbps
On the Unit you’re having the issue on, can you press the buttons of; [HOME] > [HOME] > [HOME] > Receiver. If the speeds meet our requirements please logout of the Netflix App and then reset the Hopper 3 and once programming returns, log back into the Netflix app and try the events again to see if they are playing in the correct format.

scotar
Audio Engineer
Mike H. wrote:

With your ISP, what is the download speeds you’re getting? Here are the requirements for using Netflix;
SD/SQ – 3 Mbps
HD/HQ – 5 Mbps
4K/Ultra HD – 25 Mbps
On the Unit you’re having the issue on, can you press the buttons of; [HOME] > [HOME] > [HOME] > Receiver. If the speeds meet our requirements please logout of the Netflix App and then reset the Hopper 3 and once programming returns, log back into the Netflix app and try the events again to see if they are playing in the correct format.

Logged out,of Netflix, restarted the H3. Fired up Netflix. Logged in again and the behavior is the same. Everything is in stereo. I can start the overlay from my Denon and watch as it switches from Dolby Digital on Dish channels to Stereo when it switches to Netflix. Everything I select and play is only stereo. Very crappy sounding, but okay for being stereo.

For this test it was Orange is the New Black S5E13.

I switch over to the FireTV and start Netflix and everything is in DD. And the sound is definitely different. It is absolutely in DD mode. Denon overlay confirms.

As for my DL speed. Peaks around 41Mbps down. But a good solid, steady 31-37 Mbps all of the time. 5Mbps up.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Is the Hopper connected to the AVR with a Optical cable for audio? Mines connected to my 10+ year old Pioneer AVR and I get DD. This was a problem with Netflix from a while back and it was said that the Optical cable was needed for DD as HDMI doesn't carry the DD signal when watching Netflix.

scotar
Audio Engineer
e38BimmerFN wrote:
Is the Hopper connected to the AVR with a Optical cable for audio? Mines connected to my 10+ year old Pioneer AVR and I get DD. This was a problem with Netflix from a while back and it was said that the Optical cable was needed for DD as HDMI doesn't carry the DD signal when watching Netflix.
It is not hooked up with optical audio since I got the new receiver. It is HDMI only. But so is my FireTV and Netflix pushes DD through the HDMI fine. As a matter of fact, that is one of the two purposes for an HDMI cable. It carries HD video AND HD (DD) audio.

This whole scenario makes no sense that it would not pass DD through HDMI. Unless their (Dishh) engineers don't know how to make it work.

e38BimmerFN
Cinematographer
Well from what I remember. NetFlix doesn't pass DD over HDMI and saw problems with it. Alternative was to use the optical cable. There was a forum thread regarding this last year.

I see that even using Optical cabling is no longer working for me either with Netflix. Live TV is passing DD. Start a Netflix movie, no DD whatsoever. :roll: I presume this was broke on last update.
5/16/2017 U349.

Hope DISH can get this figured out.

stevenmac1956
Costume Designer
When going to Netflix I have to lower the sound levels on my AVR. Much louder.

DISH Employee
stevenmac1956 wrote:
When going to Netflix I have to lower the sound levels on my AVR. Much louder.

A couple of things I want to get from you. What is the model of Hopper you’re using, the Hopper, Hopper w/Sling or Hopper 3? If you’re using the Hopper or Hopper w/Sling, what is the software version of this unit?